"In a Sunburned Country"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"In a Sunburned Country"

I love Bill Bryson books. "A Walk in the Woods" cost me three months pay to supply a month long trek along the Appilation trail. His voice is wonderful, and I read anything by him that I can get my hands on.

When I discovered that he'd written a book about Australia, it jumped to the top of my list. I enjoyed the read immensely, but wondered if Bryson was at times sacrificing accuracy for humor.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone from Australia has read this book. Did you enjoy it? Did you feel it was an accurate portrayal of your country? What did you think was best, or most lacking? I'd love to hear any thoughts anyone had.

I found it absolutely hilarious. He "gets" us.

Canberra gets the short end of the stick, but it has improved a lot since he wrote that.

Comment

In "Notes from a small island" he "gets" us too. Absolutely brilliant.

Comment

Bryson wrote a book about travels in America, more than one, I think. He "gets" his own folks, too. Great, funny writer.

Comment

Loved the first book; definitely checking out the others now. Thanks

BB

Comment

I stumbled on his "A Short History of Nearly Everything" on audio. What an absolute blast. I have listened to it several times.

I did not realize it, but long ago I got a book called "The Mother Tongue" about the English Language. I loved it. Now I see why, -- Bill Bryson is the author.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Comment

I will have to pick up Bryson's book on Austrilia. I loved his narritive "A Short History of Nearly Everything" - a history lesson the way it should be taught, with real people invloved! Thanks for the tip - bif

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
              Working...
              X