Where to visit in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to visit in Australia

A question for those either living in or familiar with Australia. I'm going to throw myself a graduation party next summer by traveling to Australia for a week, and I'm wondering what are the best places and/or cities to hit.

I just want to add that I'm not a drinker, so I'm not all that interested in where to party until 4am or anything of that ilk. But I love traveling and seeing new things, so any cool touristy or non-touristy spots that could be recommended would be highly appreciated.

One WEEK!?!?! Jeez! Australia is a big place you know. It's like asking what places to go in the USA in one week. You'll only have time to hit ONE city.

I've never been there myself, but Darwin is probably the best place to go if you have very limited time. It's within striking distance of some really cool places (Kakadu comes to mind). Next best would be Cairns. If you prefer cooler climates, there's plenty of things to do around Hobart.

Most of the other major cities are great in their own ways, but you'll end up spending all or most of your time in the city instead of checking out the environs. Go to Brisbane only if you're on the way to somewhere else and can't avoid it.

Comment

ONE WEEK!!. Have you ever looked at Australia in your atlas. Australia is not the same size as UK. Its a lot bigger. You need more then a week to see Australia (more like 4 to eight weeks). I know its a little smaller than USA but still its a big country. Most of Austalians live in the coastal parts like the east coast, little bit in the south, west coast like Perth and Darwin. You might try Fraser Island with rain forrest and lots of lakes but don't try the beachs unless you want a date with a shark! Tasmania is nice. Very cool and laid back and I thought Bundaberg is laid back. There are other islands off the east coast of Australia which they are pretty good. You can spens a week there.

From
      GCG71

Comment

If you only have one week, come to Luxembourg, that matches.

Lxm

Comment

I say visit Melbourne. I have heard it has lots of nightlife, culture, good food... and you might spy a girl who looks strangely familiar.

For sure, tho, I would want to see kangaroos. I know they are a cliche, but I want to be sure those bounces are CGI-generated

One week is too short for most any country larger than Luxland. Any country that produces All-Around Fine Fellows like Lux is aces with me.
          Last edited by artlover; 10 September 2005, 01:08 PM.

Comment

ok, heres the deal if you should want to go to australia remember there is a tourist season.

There are different airlines to get there.

For example there is New Zealand Air. ITs cheaper but it flies to only certain parts.

There is Quantas they have a deal going for 999 for three places in the zones.

But this is during tourist seasons. You need to check the times to get it right.

and like people said you need way more than two weeks.

Turn your sound on.

do the research before you say I want to go there.

If you like off the beaten track there is Alice Springs. of course its in the middle of the outback.

Or there is South Australia and adelaide. A very laid back city. NOt as big as Sydney or Melbourne. It is also near the wine region of the Barossa Valley.

and please remember to read a book on culture and edicate of Australia.

Please remember not all Aussies are Digger wearing, crocodile hunting individuals.

Even though many a model are here on the site but not Abby herself.

Comment

My take on Australia as a tourist is each state is quite diverse from one another, so it all depends on what you are looking for. If your into culture and shopping then Melbourne is the place. If your into fun parks and great weather then Brisbane/Gold Coast is for you. Night life then its Sydney. Seeing thing you will never see anywhere else in the world then Darwin (So I have heard, not been there). If you are interested in a relaxing time with great beaches then Perth would be good. Great wine and a beautiful city then Adelaide is the place.
              Hobart I no nothing about and the only thing in Canberra is politicians.
              The thing they all have in common is great food and open friendly people. If it was me going to Aussie for just one week then I would spend three days in Melbourne and 4 days at the Gold Coast, nice mix of culture, shopping, fun, beaches and great food.
              Maybe if you tell us why you chose Australia to visit then we can give a more helpful answer.
              Why don't you forget about Australia and keep going on to New Zealand "Gods own" http://www.newzealand.com/travel/hom...ination-nz.cfm

Comment

New Zealand!{insert cheap unhanded shot about kiwis and their love of sheep}

New Zealand why would anyone go there. There is nothing there but orcs and trolls.

Not to mention evil wizards in big towers.

Although the beers arent bad.

I had a bees Kneez ale. Quite good.

it was the beez kneez.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixies
                  New Zealand!{insert cheap unhanded shot about kiwis and their love of sheep}

New Zealand why would anyone go there. There is nothing there but orcs and trolls.

Not to mention evil wizards in big towers.

Although the beers arent bad.

I had a bees Kneez ale. Quite good.

it was the beez kneez.
                  GRRRRRR

Comment

New Zealand why would anyone go there.
                    I have visited New Zealand 3 years ago for 4 weeks and I must say it is one of the most beautiful countries I've seen until now.

I love it.

Unfortunately the weather is not better than in Luxmanland.

Lxm

P.S: I stayed a day in Melbourne. I'm sad that I didn't know AW at that moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman
                      I have visited New Zealand 3 years ago for 4 weeks and I must say it is one of the most beautiful countries I've seen until now.

I love it.

Unfortunately the weather is not better than in Luxmanland.

Lxm
                      You tell him, Luxman...

Comment

I was kidding. my brother went there. beautiful country it is.

I have learned a few jokes from my Aussie friends.

I know a few souls in New Zealand as well. Well from the internet but still cool anyway.

Comment

Before Spud jumps on me: Autralia is a beautiful country.

As I said, I've been in Melbourne for 1 day and I must say it's an impressive town.
                          Unfortunately I still have to discover the rest of the country.

Lxm

Comment

If you only have one week, come to Luxembourg, that matches.

Lxm
                            I've been to Luxembourg...... What is he supposed to do after day two

oncall

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'm enjoying the ideas I'm getting.

I should have been clearer in my initial post about where to visit. I definetly realize that Australia is not an island, but a rather large continent that would be fully impossible to see much of in just the span of a week.

However, assuming my job situation stays the same I will be able to take no more than 10-12 days off total. Working in the travel time and my own personal jet lag recovery time, that leaves me around 7 days to be in Australia.

So I was just looking for some ideas of where to spend that time. My initial thought is to spend it in Sydney, since that is the area I know most about. However, as Pixies stated, it will be important to read as much as I can to know what to expect.

I've had this trip on my mind for about the last ten years, so planning for it (finally) is rather exciting.

P.S. I've never given New Zealand the proper consideration. I will have to look more into that. I suppose there are pro's and con's there too.

Comment

Originally posted by oncall
                                I've been to Luxembourg...... What is he supposed to do after day two
                                The question rather is: "What is he supposed to do the first day afternoon".

Lxm

Comment

The question rather is: "What is he supposed to do the first day afternoon".

Lxm
                                  I was trying to be polite by extending the time period

oncall

Comment

Sydney's probably a good start. You can experience the urban joys... the city, the harbour, dining, shopping etc... but also if you you want to take a short trip, there are some magnificent beaches, coastline and national parks just north of Sydney. Probably worth spending a few days up there too. You might even stumble across some of the earlier AW locations...

If surf and sun isn't so much your bag, Melbourne is also a great destination for sightseeing, shopping and dining. Take a drive South West (please drive on the left hand side of the road!!) and you'll hit the Great Ocean Road, which again offers sights of some of Australia's natural beauty. After a few days cruising the coast you can return to Melbourne inland via wine districts and historic gold mining towns.

Either way, you're sure to come across a few roos and the odd 'g'day'.

Comment

There is Quantas they have a deal going for 999 for three places in the zones.

Or there is South Australia and adelaide. A very laid back city. NOt as big as Sydney or Melbourne. It is also near the wine region of the Barossa Valley.

and please remember to read a book on culture and edicate of Australia.

Please remember not all Aussies are Digger wearing, crocodile hunting individuals.

Even though many a model are here on the site but not Abby herself.
                                      First rule is the national airline is Qantas, not Quantas, although I do belive that www.quantas.com puts you into the Qantas US web site. LOL.

As for Adelaide there is more (and IMO better) wine areas than just the Barossa Valley, there are several wine area's, my favourite being McLaren Vale which is just outside the city.

And what is a digger you wear? A digger in my books is (sometimes an old bugger) who's servered in the army, or maybe even still in the army. Actually I think the true meaning is a non commisioned officer of the army. The hats if thats what you are talking about are slouch hat's, although not seen outside the army and the other 'aussie' hat is the akubra!!!

Now I didn't reply just to nit pick and waste bandwidth, this thread is interesting as its something I've been considering, but with a twist. I am a dinky di aussie who's been to all the mainland capitals in the country, except Perth (I have been there, arrived at 6pm and left the following morning at 5am if that counts) and I'm looking for some places to go. My problem is I'm bringing over two Indonesian friends of mine for a holiday next year and I've been thinking of places to take them. I hope to have them here for a month, but want to take them away from my home Canberra for a 2 week road trip. I was thinking of doing Melbourne, Great Ocean Road, Adelaide, Alice Springs, Uluru, Broken Hill then home (Sydney is an easy trip I will do seperatly so not part of this roadie). This was my plan until I saw the price of hotels in Uluru (looking at $500 aus per night). I don't want to drive to all the way to Alice and not go to Uluru, but $1k for 2 nights would be better spent elsewhere so looking for more idea's. Going up the QLD coast would probably be good, but how far to go without being silly? The KM's are not a problem as my car is a company one, but don't want to spend too much time driving. So I'm open to any idea's for what a non Australian might be interested in so I can plan it a tad better?

Comment

Andrew, this view might give you an interesting perspective on your destination...
                                        Attached Files

Comment

A bit upside down I guess.

Lxm

Comment

actually I have seen taking the train around australia and some trains allow you to take your car.

Comment

the land 'up over'?

Comment

Go to Perth, it's the best! Long beaches and great pubs, what more could you want?

s

Comment

Lux, it's right-side up. Your monitor is upside down. Best stand on your head.

Actually it's from a world map published in Macquarie Park. Someone had left it out on the street for recycling. How could I pass it up?

Comment

The map is showing how Aus is actually on top of the world.

Comming to aus for a week ? thats hardly time to see much

Best way is to work out what you want, then choose your destination from that

Sailing the whitsundays would be nice for a week but you will not see much of aus

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewP

However, assuming my job situation stays the same I will be able to take no more than 10-12 days off total. Working in the travel time and my own personal jet lag recovery time, that leaves me around 7 days to be in Australia.

So I was just looking for some ideas of where to spend that time...
                                                      What you need is some ideas on spectacular "sickie" excuses to get you a longer holiday, because seven days is not enough. Luckily for you, It just so happens I have had some experience in just that arena. When I was working for the London branch of Merrill Lynch, I had used up three weeks of my holiday already, going to Australia (ooo eerie coincidence), but I wanted to go to Crete with my friends for two weeks. I only had one week of holiday left to take. So before we went away, we spent an afternoon forging a letter from Thompson Travel Agencies fabricating a traffic accident that had involved me and my friend. Then we faxed it to my boss from Crete after five days. Voila, two week vacation.

Comment

Maybe a visit to the Abby Winters studio.

while there snap a pic of Abby

Comment

its amazing Lux says come to Lux for a week yet he only spends a day in Melbourne
                                                          Melbourne is just about as big as luxembourg (you can fit Luxemburg almost 3000 times into australia)

But maybe Lux can tell us a bit about Luxemburg, I know where it is and has about 1/2 million pll and I believe it was originally a part of Holland, but what is it all about today?

Comment

Originally posted by stoneyyy
                                                            its amazing Lux says come to Lux for a week yet he only spends a day in Melbourne
                                                            Melbourne is just about as big as luxembourg (you can fit Luxemburg almost 3000 times into australia)
                                                            You know, when you're on an organised travel to NZ that only stops one day in Melbourne, you dont have a choice.
                                                            You're right, you can fit Luxembourg precisely 2972,49 times into Australia at the surface level.
                                                            At the population level you're "only" 46 times bigger than us.

Originally posted by stoneyyy
                                                            But maybe Lux can tell us a bit about Luxemburg, I know where it is and has about 1/2 million pll and I believe it was originally a part of Holland, but what is it all about today?
                                                            I like that idea, but I think I should start a new thread for that. Maybe when I find the time somewhere.
                                                            We where not part of Holland, but we had the same sovereign for some time, long time ago.
                                                            We always had "foreign visitors" in our country who stayed for more or less long periods.

Lxm

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X