I suppose the Yanks dun't know what I'm on about

Comment

Originally posted by mikehogg
      And the Aussies will disagree

Comment

Wasn't it a great result?
        Not such a great result: England had all the luck. But it was a great series. Both teams really tried hard and respected each other's efforts, which is what matters. Umpiring is a job that is beyond the capacity of human eye and brain. Ergo, let technology do it. I'd rather see the Hawkeye computer adjudicate an LBW than some poor, ill-paid bugger who has been on his feet all day, squinting into the sun and trying to concentrate. Anyone agree?

Comment

This Yank guesses it has something to do with cricket, a sport he's never begun to understand. Oh well, to each their own. Here in egocentrist land the dog days of summer are drawing to a close and now it's all about the pennant races. Say, do you get to sing while watching cricket?

Katie Casey was baseball mad
          She had the fever and had it bad
          Just to root for the hometown crew
          Every sou Katie blew
          On one Saturday her young beau
          Called to see if she'd like to go
          To see a show,but Miss Kate said "No,
          I'll tell you what you can do

Take me out to the ballgame
          Take me out with the crowd
          By me some peanuts and Crackerjack
          I don't care if I never get back
          Cause it's root, root root for the home team
          If they don't win it's a shame
          For it's one, two, three strikes your out
          At the old ball game!"

Comment

I had a bloody bet on the Aussies taking out the last game, and now I bloody well have to take someone out to dinner. In addition, last week, my AFL team lost, and I had a bet on that which says I have to cook the same person dinner. I am no longer betting on sport.

I still think Warney is a star, however, dropped catch or not.
            Last edited by Millie; 12 September 2005, 11:35 PM. Reason: i cannot spell

Comment

Well done England. A deserved victory. I'll write more on this tomorrow but the respect and friendship between most of the players on both sides has been exemplary. Just as the Aussie players like Warne were able to admit that England overall did outplay them, Warnie also got a standing ovation from the English crowd which was almost as loud as the cheer when we lifted the trophy!

So more tomorrow when I'm more sober and not so tired but the quality of the cricket and sportmanship was excellent. I hope both teams had a few beers together, like they actually have on other nights during this summer series.

Oh and again, we're proud of you England cricket team, you have been everything that our football team (Beckham and Robinson excluded) is not at the moment.

SF

PS You're right Millie, Warne is a star and could not have done more. Perhaps he should claim British nationality. If you added him to our suddenly impressive and varied bowling line up, then whooooah!
              Last edited by sweatyfox; 12 September 2005, 11:49 PM.

Comment

You can't get much more mundane than sports talk, so I've moved the thread.

And, speaking as a Kiwi, it's about time Australia got beaten for a change.

Comment

Well, I have friends in both Britain and the UK, so I will just say--wow, there was certainly a lot of passion on the field. Those guys really came to play. We can anticipate a hard-fought rematch. A real team effort. One of the best series ever. These are some kind of fans. Those guys really came to play. A real chess match. Etc.

sports talk used to be more fun. A basketball coach over here responded to catcalls for the officials by getting on the PA and saying, "Now folks, let's not criticize the officiating, no matter how bad it is." .

Comment

Jvak, I never knew there was a first verse to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". We've been singing half a song for decades.

Of course, the official silly sports song in the USA is "YMCA". I wonder how many people know the gay subtext of that one?

Comment

I think the Village People are thorougly outed by now, but considering the enthusiasm with which many high school males (is there a group more likely to be homophobic?) sing it at basketball games, I would guess they never taken time to deconstruct the oh-so-subtle implications of "you can do whatever you feel!"

There is a second verse to "Take me out to the ballgame" as well, but I don't know it. Really, the first verse isn't that good anyway, and how can the writer of the song contend with Harry Carrey?

Speaking of sports talk being more fun in the past, I'm reminded of my all time favorite player, Bill Lee. He had more than a few good ones, but here's one of my favorites:

"Every time I look at a Yankess hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter."

Comment

Theres not nearly enough singing in cricket. Unless you count few hundred drunk Aussies chanting 'you're going home in the back of a divvy van'. Usually out of tune, but with spirit none the less.

Comment

what's happened to the streakers these days?

Comment

The aussies had the ashes for 18yrs, the poms will have them for 18 months

Comment

Too much security, I believe. Instead, they just throw around big beach balls, which pisses off the police no end. Hehe

Comment

'you're going home in the back of a divvy van'
                                Well, it's official. There's English English, American English, and Aussie English.

Comment

As much as I hate to admit it England played better for much of the series, but I take great comfort knowing that the next series is in Australia and that there is no way possible that England can hold the Ashes for 18 years. A few things really need to change in test cricket for example if its bad light put the fucking lights on.

England winning has upset a great sports year for me my footy team has an excellent chance to win the premiership, my basketball teams are doing well and Michael Schumacher and Ferrari are no longer F1 and constructors world champions.

It's a shame they had to put such harsh penalties on streakers, it's something lacking in cricket and footy these days maybe Millie can bring it back.
                                  Mille bet on the Crows this week and also for the premiership, it's a guarantee.

Dave

Comment

Good assumption but I've been listening to the BBC World Service a lot lately and heard the stories about this one. I tried to understand cricket once but to really get a sport you either have to play it or watch it. Being a Yank, I've done neither where cricket is concerned.

I do love underdog champions and Cinderella stories -- 18 years is a long time -- so I raise a pint to the lads from England! Jolly Good, Chaps

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                                      And, speaking as a Kiwi, it's about time Australia got beaten for a change.
                                      Know we know how the Kiwis constantly feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Dave
                                        Mille bet on the Crows this week and also for the premiership, it's a guarantee.
                                        St. Kilda already beat the crows in the preliminary finals didn't they... and pretty decisively too? I reckon it's going to be the Saints year, and the swans confidence about this weekend is misguided and soon to be dashed to the ground! Put your money on St. Kilda Millie.
                                        Last edited by liandra; 13 September 2005, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                                          speaking as a kiwi, it's about time Australia got beaten for a change

Originally posted by Darth Dave
                                          Know we know how the Kiwis constantly feel.
                                          The Kiwis know all about beating Australia they did it just a couple of weeks back in the Rugby (Tri-nations).

Comment

One should also note it was a kiwi umpire that helped england win

Comment

Originally posted by stoneyyy
                                              The aussies had the ashes for 18yrs, the poms will have them for 18 months
                                              Hang on a minute...
                                              The England team is young and still improving, and they will get better.
                                              The Aussie team is over the hill.....Gillespie is finished..McGrath hasn't got much left, and you will NEVER replace Shane Warne....
                                              You need some good bowlers and quick (excuse the pun !) to get them ready for our trip down under.
                                              I do believe that you have to stick with Ponting as Captain, if for no other reason, that there is no natural successor.
                                              But you have to agree it is great for cricket, to have some real opposition to battle against.
                                              irisheagle.

Comment

Its about we did have some real competition we have beaten eveyone home and away.

We have plenty of great players there is enough waiting for a chance to play for aus that are as good and if not better then what are already playing

Warnie is one of a kind and we have been lucky enough to witness him in our life time, but he could teach others.

Its good for the game and will ensure good crowds at the next ashes tour in aus, as good as you feel your players are they have to still learn to play in real summer weather, none of this bad light at 2 in the afternoon and none of this cold 22c, playing in 30c plus where ground temps are 45c plus

Congrates to the poms but you have a long way to go yet.

Comment

Originally posted by irisheagle
                                                  Hang on a minute...
                                                  The England team is young and still improving, and they will get better.
                                                  The Aussie team is over the hill.....Gillespie is finished..McGrath hasn't got much left, and you will NEVER replace Shane Warne....
                                                  You need some good bowlers and quick (excuse the pun !) to get them ready for our trip down under.
                                                  I do believe that you have to stick with Ponting as Captain, if for no other reason, that there is no natural successor.
                                                  But you have to agree it is great for cricket, to have some real opposition to battle against.
                                                  irisheagle.
                                                  Yeah maybe Australia should get its players from South Africa as well, McGrath and Warne will still be playing test cricket in 2 years, just make sure you don’t get any more scratches on our urn we will be taking it back in 2 years. One thing that the media has already picked up on is that one of the best cricket teams ever will now be remembered as the team that lost the ashes.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by liandra
                                                    St. Kilda already beat the crows in the preliminary finals didn't they... and pretty decisively too? I reckon it's going to be the Saints year, and the swans confidence about this weekend is misguided and soon to be dashed to the ground! Put your money on St. Kilda Millie.
                                                    The Crows only lost by 8 points and they were due for a loss; they had won 10 in a row and were without our captain. St Kilda still has injury problems and for some reason Sydney always performs in finals so I’m pretty sure Sydney can win.

Dave

Comment

The crows have to get past the Eagles yet in the west

Comment

As a euphoric Pommie I have to say, fair dos to you Aussies. You just don't know when you're bloody beaten, do you! Shane Warne was quite startling to watch, practically every single ball was a potential wicket-taker and some were just straight unbelievable, so much so I was convinced you had us by the short and curlies on the last day around lunchtime when we were something like 129-4.

Okay, we probaly did have slightly the better share of the luck. We won the toss 4 out of 5, but that doesn't count for everything as your lot proved in the first game after losing it. We also probably had the good fortune to avoid facing the awesome McGrath quite a bit through injury, but then again you didn't have to face one of our main secret weapons either, Simon Jones, in one and a half Tests. Maybe your world-class batters didn't always play right up to their true potential, but how much of that was down to England's outstanding bowling rather than your poor form?

The speed of scoring by both sides throughout the series is surely unprecedented, and I cannot remember a series like it for sportsmanship and cameraderie between two evenly matched sides.

I've been following Test cricket for half a century and remember several other amazing series, including of course the memorable 'Botham series' of 1981, but none has come anywhere near this for such extraordinary, sustained excitement, thrills and unbearable tension throughout. That says everything about the guts and determination of the Aussies; the series could so easily have gone the other way right up 'til a couple of hours before stumps on the last day.

Another point: this is the first time I can ever say I've enjoyed watching the opposition just as much as my own team. It didn't seem likely I would either early on when Simon Jones instinctively (but not malisciuosly, I don't think) struck Hayden when attempting to hit the stumps and he somewhat ungraciuosly declined the apology, but after that, the sportsmanship of players on both sides was fantastic. Brett Lee is for me now as much a hero as any English player for the spirit in which he played, and whereas before I had nothing more than a grudging respect for Warne and McGrath, I now warm to them - that is saying something, believe me.

So thanks for making it such a wonderful series fellas, and g'day.

PS- Memory of the Series: Not Andrew Strauss's exceptional diving catch in the slips to dismiss Adam Gilchrist in the Fourth Test, but the next moment immediately after it when the tv camera panned straight to a banner hoisted in the crowd asking "Did you catch that down under?"

Quality!

Comment

Originally posted by artlover
                                                          Well, it's official. There's English English, American English, and Aussie English.
                                                          Mate its much worse than that as 'divvy van' is Victorian Aussie English!! In New South Wales Aussie English the same thing would be a 'paddy wagon'. The song that Millie was repeating doesn't quite work with that one which is quite sad as 'you going home in the back of a divvy van' is quite melodic, well when sung after a couple 6 packs of piss.

Comment

Go Saints!!

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X