Sony Handycam HDR-HC1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Handycam HDR-HC1

Abby, have you thought of getting one of the new affordable HD cams (link below) and using it with iMovie HD. You could convert the finished video's into both Quicktime segments and full length WMP in one operation using the Macs automation program. Be nice to see your videos looking as good as Saphic Erotica.

Hi

We have looked into it, but it's not that attractive - editing HD stuff on PC's is not really viable, and I am loathe to invest in Macs just for this. This is still bleeding edge tech, there are going to be lots of improvements over the coming years, meaning cameras boright our now will be superceded in a matter of months. When the systems are more stable, we'll look again.

That being said, image quality is not a huge deal for us, especially now we're doing the WMVs. I'd much rather spend time, money and energy on making the _content_ better, than the image quality, which I think is good enough. RAW miniDV is excellent quality - pretty much broadcast. The limit now is becoming bandwidth charges, and people having connections that can suit that sort of content.

a

Comment

I think I agree with Abby. The quality of ANY (not just aw) video can often be vastly improved, not by shooting at a higher resolution nor using a 3CCD or a cmos camera. I believe the quality of video is more dependant on other production elements such as lighting, audio, framing, content etc. and could often be improved by more development in these areas. Besides, the AW content is to be down-converted to less than SD anyway, so I doubt the original resolution will make such a notable difference.

Also, I've not found a mac based solution for encoding WMV files that compares with a PC encoder. If WMV is the chosen delivery codec and most end users are PC based, PCs are probably hold the encoding power.

That said however, I do like to use the Sony HD DVR Z1P which delivers really nice affordable HD widescreen and am a big fan of the power and stability of macs when it comes to managing and editing large media files.

Comment

We'll all be HD soon enough. I'm happy with the image quality of the videos on the site so far and agree with Abby that content quality matters more. It's easy to see how much that has improved here every time I watch one of the old vids with nothing but music for sound.

Speaking as a true film student, I would vote for chucking all the video stuff out the door and shooting on good old 35mm, or 16mm if you wish, and editing on a flatbed.

Mmmmmmm ... I love the feel of celluloid as it runs through my fingers ...

Comment

Originally posted by matchless
          Mmmmmmm ... I love the feel of celluloid as it runs through my fingers ...
          Would be difficult to find some nowadays.

Lxm

Comment

Fingers or celluloid? It's not difficult to find if that's the medium you wish to work with. More expensive, yes, but not difficult.

But since the chosen distribution system for Team Abby's work is online, there's the added step of transferring it all to digital. Don't listen to me, I'm just being silly!

Comment

Real celluliod is difficult to find. It's no more used because of the danger of fire (celluloid is inflammable and can explode).
              What you let run through your fingers is polyesther based film.

Lxm

Comment

Of course, you're right, there's nothing comparable to the look and feel of film.

That's why there are several people trying to get video looking like cinema with very expensive accessories and lenses.

Lxm
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman
                  Real celluliod is difficult to find. It's no more used because of the danger of fire (celluloid is inflammable and can explode).
                  What you let run through your fingers is polyesther based film.

Lxm
                  Oh, well if you want to get all technical about it ... ... seriously, thanks for the history lesson.

Here in my hometown, they're wrapping up the third annual film festival. I was at one of the short film programmes tonight; one of the films had a major problem with something. The projection was skipping and staticy and it was really annoying, which is too bad because it was a perfectly funny little film otherwise. And that is another problem I have with video; when something goes wrong, it's harder to fix. Sure, film can jump out of the sprockets and get all messed up, but it's no mystery what went wrong and so all you have to do is stop it and fix it ... as long as what got messed up isn't your only print. In film school, I never made a work-print until my final film. I was lucky.

Computers and technology just baffle me, sometimes ...

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman
                    Of course, you're right, there's nothing comparable to the look and feel of film.

That's why there are several people trying to get video looking like cinema with very expensive accessories and lenses.

Lxm
                    God that's a monster. I think Abby should get 2 of these, and not forgeting the accessorised harness, buckle straps and lead battery belts
                    Attached Files

Comment

If you change your mind I'm happy to test it for you. My system is capable of HD :-)
                      Starting with higher quality source material will always improve the end result, even if it's going to the same size and format it is now. It's just a matter of finding out how much it will improve. Since the quality is already more than acceptable I'd expect it to only really be of use as an experiment or as a premium type offer.

Originally posted by Abby
                      Hi

We have looked into it, but it's not that attractive - editing HD stuff on PC's is not really viable, and I am loathe to invest in Macs just for this.

Comment

Most all new TV series in the US are done in HD. Not for now, but for future syndication.

A couple years from now you could be putting out a new HD-DVD and regretting not having shot some over the top scene in HD. I've been catching up on the early content, and wish there was more content and sound with girls like Ally and Angel. There were some beautiful girls and shots, including http://www.abbywinters.com/main.php?...ex=45&shoot=41

PS Abby, I confess: I have a 10mbps broadband connection and I've been using it.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                        Working...
                        X