Firefox download question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox download question

I know this has been touched on sometime before but, does Firefox's built-in download manager have a "2 concurrent limit' on downloading? By that I mean can you only have 2 downloads going at once?

An example was a couple days ago, I had one download that was rocking along at about 190kbps.
    The second was going at about 125 kbps.
    Not only would it not let me start a 3rd download but, I went to one of the galleries thumbnail pages and although the page loaded, it would not pull the thumbnails themselves until one of the downloads stopped and then the thumbnails instantly appeared!

Not a huge problem but was wondering. Thanks.
    Alleyes

You need the FasterFox plug-in or one of the others that makes use of the OS downloader. I tone down the defaults on FasterFox, because allowing up to 16 concurrent connections is brutal on servers. I turn off pre-fetching too - it starts retrieving every link on a page. I use the XP patch to allow a less throttled back connection creation rate - it doesn't hurt performance, yet still restrains a virus if I get one. Firefox plug-ins are hurting web business models. I wouldn't use adblock if animated ads didn't exist - they are simply obnoxious and burn up my performance.

Comment

Thanks Bean_Town_Man!

I put Fasterfox on my other computer but forgot to put it on this one. Also, thanks for the adjustment tip.

Alleyes

Comment

I have a Firefox plugin called "Down Them All" which brings up a list of all the links on a page, and you can uncheck the ones that aren't to what you want to download (like to another page or site, or whatever) and when it goes it downloads about 8 threads at a time.

But I can't remember if I already had to jigger something to allow multiple simultaneous downoads.

Comment

Hi guys,
          Yep you can tweak this in Firefox without any extra plugins. Here's how:
          1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return
          2.Scroll down the page (or use the filter) to find the setting: 'network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-sever'
          3.Double click on the line and change the value to 4 or however many downloads you want.
          4.That's it. No Firefox restart is needed.
          All other settings are there for the tweaking but I don't claim to know what they all do. And http://forevergeek.com should take the credit for the above hack :-)
          Regards, Jo

PS for explorer I think the tweak involves the registry but don't quote me...

Comment

Originally posted by minijo
            Regards, Jo
            Hi, Jo. Welcome to the Abby Winters boards - From one Jo to another!

Hope you like it here! Great community here. Go over here and introduce yourself a little.

Meanwhile, let me add to this thread: I recommend the Firefox plugin Flashgot. Then add Free Download Manager [FDM] and have Flashgot call that from Firefox. Works wonderfully. FDM queues up any number of dolwnloads, breaks them all into pieces and dl's the pieces simultaneously but optimally. Get's over the usual limitation, but even if you tweak the FF settings, FF alone will still just divide up available bandwidth among what's being downloaded, whereas FDM and Flashgot optimizes things. Also, FDM is pretty kind to servers, and if need be it can be slowed down.

Jo

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
            Working...
            X