A newsletter for seniors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A newsletter for seniors

Suppose that I fit this category. (I don’t, but suppose I did.)

• I’m a senior. I was a teenager in World War II, and a young adult in the 1950’s.
    • My idols then were James Dean and Marilyn Monroe.
    • An attractive girl then was not called a cute hottie, she was called a dish.
    • I’m currently on the periphery of AW membership, interested enough to subscribe to a weekly news letter, not a paying member, but could convert to a paying member.

So, I read a newsletter from AW, and it describes a model in particular as a delicious dish.

I’d be struck by the realization that -- here is a site that speaks to me. The newsletter sends a message. The message is that this site is not just a bunch of girls and photographers having a blast all their own, mindless of someone like me. They will take the time to consider my perspective.

Combine that with all the other attractive features of AW, and I’d be more likely to convert to a paying membership.

A newsletter for seniors would have to be written by a senior, because only a senior knows the code words, perspectives, and vogues of his time.

The writing assignment would be made easier by receiving an advance copy of AW’s for-everybody newsletter. The senior writer would then slant the same text for a senior readership, changing a few words, or occasionally re-writing a paragraph. He could also insert short articles and interesting asides of his own. He might insert photos showing then-and-now, and talking about how styles have changed. The special inserts are developed over a period of weeks, and don’t have to post with any particular issue. His finished write-up goes back to AW for approval, final editing, and posting.

In addition to a seniors’ newsletter, there would likely be a lesbian newsletter, and other special interest editions as well.

Oh, and a Spanish edition. There are a lot of American emigrants who are fluent in Spanish, and are struggling with English.

Comment

Minotaur,
      In my humble opinon, this is one of the few sites out there that fit into your demographics. Unless you have adapted to enjoy looking at women stuffing themselves with objects worthy of putting into a carpenters tool belt and banging steroid bulked guys for their next crack fix of course. In your time, eroticism was an art, and here it is. If you can afford it, it will pay you back in tenfold with quality of life for yourself.
      By the way, I heard they were called "Sireens" as well. Truthfully, I am now 40 and could not hold a conversation with what is happening in the world today, however if you can put the fact we are getting older and just appreciate a fine looking dish on this site, you can skip the association related to the generation gap most of us know is there and understand. Looking fwd to the staff welcoming you as a new member and hearing your messages again,

Random Thoughts...

Comment

It's just a newsletter.

I've always thought that in any endeavour, you should not cater too specifically for demographics, and instead just do what you like. This will attract likeminded people and so they will enjoy things that you provide for them in a similar way.

On top of that, you aren't being patronising in any way, which can be a real turn off for many people.

Comment

Hi Randomthoughts,

I’m not a senior. During World War II, I wasn’t born yet. For the post, I stepped into the shoes of a senior, or tried to, and then wrote from that perspective. A real senior can probably read my post and tell that I’m not in the same generation. I though of appending a little note saying “Apologies to real seniors”, but left it off.

I could also have written the post by saying: “Suppose that I am Spanish. “Chilito” translates literally to “little hot chili pepper”, but it doesn’t mean that at all in slang.

What you have said in your reply is true.

Originally posted by Randomthoughts
          In my humble opinon, this is one of the few sites out there that fit into [a senior's] demographics.
          Amen, brother.

In [a senior's] time, eroticism was an art, and here it is. If you can afford it, it will pay you back in tenfold with quality of life for yourself.
          Double amen.

I am now 40 and could not hold a conversation with what is happening in the world today, however if you can put [aside] the fact we are getting older and just appreciate a fine looking dish on this site, you can skip the association related to the generation gap most of us know is there and understand.
          I think you are saying that the appeal of the girls, on sight, bypasses many demographic differences. We would have trouble with differences if we were to meet, but we have no intention of meeting. Model and viewer are just interacting on a basic, universally-understood level.

Gotta agree with you there too.

AW is especially good in this regard, because the girls are presented in a “plain” style. By not dolling the girls up to appeal to a specific type of viewer, AW has left open the universal appeal.

It’s ironic that I found AW by following a link away from DOMAI, a site designed for old men. They like simple nudes, and high quality photography. Their choice of content also leaves open universal appeal. I happen to like what they like, even though I am younger.

I am not suggesting that AW change its content generation in any way, relative to demographics. There is a melanin-replete thread, but that’s not what I am talking about. Content generation is fine.

What I am talking about is site marketing, through its newsletter. The model-viewer interaction is basic, sight-oriented, and non-verbal. It transcends demographics. Marketing is much more complex, with words and subtle meanings. The newsletter is a written instrument, and has to be read. If the reader finds a demographics gap that is too great to overcome, he or she will stop reading. This reader is potentially a paying member, one who would like the content, is put off by its newsletter.

Now, I put myself into the shoes of someone who can barely read English, but easily reads Spanish. Wouldn’t it be nice to see a newsletter that is easy to read?

I wouldn’t dare attempt a translation myself, of any kind. My translation wouldn’t be very good, and would likely offend the reader as well. The right person to bridge a demographic gap is a member who is familiar with the site, who is in the demographic group, and who can explain the site to others in the same group. When it is done in that way, the reader just finds something comfortable, and knows that someone took the time to bridge a gap. That has to be a welcome perception.

Min

Comment

But do we find some middle ground, or do individual newsletters for every possible demographic?

Obviously teh best choice is middle ground.

But do we blandly choose timeless adjectives and nouns, or do we write whatever the heck we want to make it interesting and exciting?

I don't know.

I think your noble sentiments are not so easy to adopt.

Comment

How about an individual newsletter for each member?

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by minotaur
                Now, I put myself into the shoes of someone who can barely read English, but easily reads Spanish. Wouldn’t it be nice to see a newsletter that is easy to read?
                Maybe I am missing your point here, but no one is denying have 400 different versions of the news letter would be attractive.

This is kinda like the guys who come to me and say, "hey, that shoot you did of the model with a cast on her leg was great. If you did a shoot like that every week, you'd get dozens of new joins a day from cast-fetish crowd." (same thing for balloon play or pooing models, or live-scarification, or whatever). Most people - especially those devited to a fetish - don't care about business realities, they care about fulfilling their fetish. My answer to them is the same: if they think there is so much money in chicks eating leaves, they should start their own damn website. The ability to do that has never been more and affordable and easy and real than now. (they never do).

Everyone thinks they have the new silver bullet to make us a mint. I agree that your ideas are better than the tree-eaters one... though the seniors one is fringe. Merely having a newsletter for seniors is not the answer. What we nee to do is expose the website to a senior audience. That's the hard part. Not like we can take out an ad in "seniors monthly" mag, right?

Targeting countries is a good idea, been on the list for ages, but again, it takes more than a newsletter. need to make the whole site in spanish ('cept for the boards), then push advertising in spanish-speking countries (Germany and Japan are at the top of the list, actually). Need to find sonmene who i can trust, and can write spanish fluently, and be highly available, and be sensible.

ONCE all that is sorted, then I need a spanish newsletter - before is not going to help so much. Sure, we'll get SOME spanish speaking ppl coming to the site, and some will not join for their poor grasp of English, but that's trivial compared to the amount of spanish speaking ppl we'd get if we pushed the site in spanish rags.

a

Comment

Oh, for German (and French if needed) I know some people who could give a hand.

I think in Germany most people are pretty good in English.

Lxm - fluent in German, French, Luxembourgish, knowing a little bit of English

Comment

Colour me ignorant, but is there really a Luxembourgish? Do you have your own variation of an existing european language you can call your own?

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                      Colour me ignorant, but is there really a Luxembourgish? Do you have your own variation of an existing european language you can call your own?
                      Ooh, that hurts!

Luxembourgish is a Germanic based language, but I can assure you, German people don't understand us.

See here for more details.

Äddi

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Lux of Luxembourg
                        Luxembourg (Lëtzebuergesch)Spoken in:Luxembourg, Belgium, France, GermanyRegion:EuropeTotal speakers:300,000
                        Hey Lux,

You mean there are another 299,999 people like you !! (actually )

oncall

Comment

Aha. So I was right, then.

Comment

Ok here we go..... newsletters for seniors... nope it would not work waste of time

Site down in other languages a great idea... that would further increase the client base go for it Abby
                            Last edited by stoneyyy; 16 November 2005, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                              Aha. So I was right, then.
                              He still insists, ooh he's making me angry.

Lxm

Comment

Hey Luxman, don't feel bad about it I am willing to bet that Vid can't speak more then one language

Comment

Originally posted by Exerpt from Wiki:
                                  Luxembourgish or Luxembourgian (French: Luxembourgeois, German: Luxemburgisch, Luxembourgish: Lëtzebuergesch) is a West Germanic language spoken in Luxembourg. It was adopted as an official language in 1984. It is also spoken in small parts of Belgium, France and Germany, as well as by a few of the descendants of Luxembourg immigrants in the United States and emigrants to Transylvania, Romania (Siebenbürgen).
                                  So, spoken in small parts of Belgium, France and Germany.
                                  Why that?
                                  Well, 170 years ago Luxembourg was 4 times bigger than today and some people in the "lost" territories still speak our language.

Once again: We have our own language, with it's own dictionary and it's own gramatical rules.

Lxm - grrrrr !!!

Comment

Yeah Luxman, and so do the poor old native English speakers, who may notice that our grammatical rules don't use that apostrophe. It should be "its own dictionary and its own grammatical rules".

Don't worry - a lot of native English speakers get it wrong too!

Isambard
                                    (who is both a pedant and a senior, which may not be that uncommon)

Comment

Yeah, I should have known, I saw this website once.

Sorry apostrophe.

Lxm

Comment

Another pedantic senior--Philos may have found a soulmate

Comment

The problem is not so simple. So let say I can not read english. Join and find everything, including the "navigation", is in English. So maybe I would get girl/girl, but tiers?, then try intimate moments video (doubt they would get the concept).
                                          So unless your going to have the main page, navigation, and FAQ., minimum in the 2nd *etc.) language, IMHO "it would back-fire", and in Spanish Links/Rating sights, you would have a poor rating, and may loss some customers that as is, may join to see what they could find.

Comment

Lux, how long would it take you to make a French edition of the newsletter? Keep the scope of the task down to just this – The regular newsletter is produced exactly as it is today, in English. You’re just translating it. The newsletter is about 1000 words per issue, and there is one issue per week.

I imagine that it would take you about two hours per week. That’s an hour for translation, and another hour for transmitting things.

The whole AW site is in English, with its own accent and perspective. No changes needed there. If someone wants to subscribe to a newsletter, he or she will have to navigate the site in English, and do the subscription procedure in English. Linking back from any edition of the newsletter returns the reader to English. It is just that optionally, if the reader chooses, the weekly newsletter that drops into his or her email basket could be in French.

Comment

What do you think the Frenchman is going to do? I think 1/2 or more would take the newsletter, to mean "French Language Friendly Site". Join and look for the French version, get pissed, and if he ever sees AW on a French link/rating site, he will more than not rate AW as poor.

With-out the Newsletter, he still may join. With no pre-concpeptions that the sight was in anyway French (language). He may like what he sees(sp).

Just my humble oppinion.

Originally posted by minotaur
                                              The whole AW site is in English, with its own accent and perspective. No changes needed there. If someone wants to subscribe to a newsletter, he or she will have to navigate the site in English, and do the subscription procedure in English. Linking back from any edition of the newsletter returns the reader to English. It is just that optionally, if the reader chooses, the weekly newsletter that drops into his or her email basket could be in French.

Comment

Hi Duaane,

I’m thinking of a guy who fits this description:

• He is fluent in French.
                                                • He does read English, with difficulty, and is trying to get better at it.
                                                • He is not an AW member, and has never subscribed before.
                                                • Something led him to AW. It might have been a good review, or a link from another site. Somehow he found AW.
                                                • He took the new member’s tour, and liked it.
                                                • He decides not to open a paid subscription at AW at the time of his tour, because he has two or three other active memberships, and wants to let those run out first.
                                                • There is a free, weekly, AW newsletter, and he subscribes to the French edition.
                                                • Three months pass, until his other subscriptions run out.
                                                • By that time, he would have forgotten all about AW, except for the newsletter. Once a week, the simple presence of the newsletter says, in effect: “We are still here.”
                                                • He easily reads the newsletter, because it is written in French.
                                                • He clicks on a link to Dee H, and there is the bio page of a pretty girl.
                                                • After a few more clicks, he is ready to join us, in English.

This guy would have opened a paid membership at AW right after his tour, except that it wasn’t the right time. There is going to be a waiting period until the timing is right. During that period, a weekly newsletter drops into his email basket. It’s just a little bit nicer if the newsletter is in French.

In his case, the demographic challenge is language. There are other demographic challenges, such as differences between generations.

Comment

This thread reminds me of the phrase " if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Ham,
                                                    Excellent summation.
                                                    Minotaur. In my opinion, your scenario is too pinpointed to appease the masses. I for one am not willing to increase the overhead cost associated with multi-lingualism as suggested. Being Canadian, I am aware of the costs associated with bi-lingualism with our Countries cost in having to include French on all products sold here for the minority of the French speaking population that is mostly bi-lingual anyway. I couldn't imagine how they do it in places like Switzerland...
                                                    I am not losing your point of increasing membership with this cause, however A/W shouldn't bank on a newsletter formatted in different languages to target new membership. I think they already have an competitive advantage with hiring beautiful models and upon giving your credit card authorization, 2 simple steps can mitigate a language barrier for the english challenged.
                                                    The first is to go to Model Description where they have lovely cartoon pictures that can be easily identified even by aliens.
                                                    The second is to hit the mute button on your media player.
                                                    Sorry, but this is carrying on too far, again in my humble opinion.

Random Thoughts...

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                    Working...
                                                    X