clips won't play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clips won't play

when i download a clip i can't play it. i have tried both wmv and mpg. i am using wmp 10 and QT 7. i have installed all the latest codecs. i still get the error that the file is not supported or not recognized. i don't have a problem playing any other media, only the clips from AW. i would really like some help from anyone.

Are you using a download manager other than the browsers? Also, you are "right" clicking on the link to download. Does it say it finishes succesfully? Did you mean that you can play wmv and mpg from other places?
    Last edited by alleyes1; 17 November 2005, 11:30 PM.

Comment

i am using download manager from firefox. i am downloading by right clicking the link and the file finishes successfuly. i am also able to play wmv's and mpg's from other sites and downloads.

Comment

I use firefox also, and have never had a problem. You might check one thing, I can think of. If this doesn't help, Vid Dude, Luxman, or someone else will have to help. When you right click on the file, after the download manager pops up, look in the File Type text box. It should say 'Movie file", but on a couple of occasions, i'ts come up as 'Text File". It's just happened twice and I haven't done anything to fix it. It's just a glich.

Comment

yeah they all say movie clip. i have about six or seven and they are all the same

Comment

did you happen to try the QT on the mpeg files?

Comment

yes i tried all of them

Comment

Ok, trenton, sorry I couldn't help. Vid Dude, HELP!!!!

Thanks, Alleyes

P.S. Vid Dude should see this, or someone else will help.

Comment

One last thing you might take a look at. I don't know if your using XP but if you are, go to Windows Explorer and look in the directory where the movie files are stored. look and see if the Movie icon is shown with the mpegs. you can see this in either tiles or thumbnail view. also, try to double click on one of the files and see if windows media player pops up to try to play it. I'm checking to make sure that for some reason "file association" is not being recognized for these files.

Alleyes

Comment

Ok have you opened the media player or QT and then gone to open the file from the player.

Or are you just trying to open the file from explorer and getting an error msg

As you said you have wmp 10 then you mustbe on XP

Comment

The mpgs use MPEG-1 as its codec, and the wmvs use WMV-9, both of which are widely supported. In fact MPEG-1 is one of the simplest and most basic of codecs out there and should play in anything, that's why we chose it.

The WMVs should play in your Windows Media Player, but not in Quicktime. The MPEGs should work in Quicktime, though I personally wouldn't recommend that as your media player of choice.

If you're using Windows, then I can't see why this is happening, but I suggest you try out a different media player, like Media Player Classic and see what happens.

If you're using a Mac, then I'm a bit in the dark and don't have any suggestions otherwise.

It may be that you are downloading incomplete files. Can you give me the exact file size (in bytes) of one of the videos so I can check it against what it should be? In windows, right-click on the video file and choose properties, and it will give two different filesizes, tell me both. And the name of the file, of course.

Comment

see if you can play them through windows older media player
                        Click On --> Start --> Run and type in mplayer2.exe

(if he can play files from other sites, my moneys on corrupted download)
                        Last edited by ThePope; 18 November 2005, 12:34 AM.

Comment

trenton, Come Back !!!!!

Comment

can anyone give me some kind of advice

Comment

sorry about that guys i didn't refresh the page and thought that you guys gave up. i am really sorry

Comment

I'll forgive, can't speak for the others though

Comment

yeah i know i feal like a jackass asking for help and then it looked like i left

Comment

trenton did you see vid dude's post? He ask you to send the exact file size on one of the video files so he can check to see if it's correct.

Comment

file name: darcyvid1

size:54.6 MB (57,332,856 bytes)

size on disk: 54.6 MB (57,335,808 bytes)

i have tried to open the file from the player and not double clicking. i have also tried to use WMP classic

Comment

try double clicking, the media player should at least start

Comment

oh yeah and that is the mpg format

Comment

the media player starts it just says

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Comment

what's the exact error message you get

Comment

so mpg files will not play in WMP 10 cause im pretty sure i have played them before

Comment

did you get my post of the message POPE

Comment

when i try to play a wmv in WMP classic the error message is

Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.

Comment

My darcyvid1.mpg says:

Size: 54.4 MB (57,063,428 bytes)
                                                      Size on Disk: 54.4 MB (57,065,472 bytes)

Can you others check yours and see if we can get a concensus?

Comment

mpg's play fine in in WMP

Comment

Sounds like the correct codec is not installed, but could be a corrupt file.

Download one of the smaller mpgs and note the size and private message the details to Vid dude

Although Mpegs should play even if they are not complete

Comment

are already have a couple of mpg clips can i just use those

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X