Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

monitor white balance

Hi

We're surveying on this cos it significantly affects how our images look on your screen.

a

Hi
    I have no idea what my monitor white balance is but
    your pics look fine to me

Comment

How can I check this?
      Thanks

Comment

your monitor will have a bunch of buttons on the front side or bottom edge, usually a "menu" button, and a few up/down or left/right buttons.

You want to find the entry int he menu that says somehting like "color temp", or maybe just "color".

a

Comment

well i'll be
          6500 k it is

Comment

mine says 9300 I think the pictures look pretty good from where i sit

Comment

the pics are processed to look best at 9300, FTR.

a

Comment

Hah, I'm at 9300, now I know why everything here looks so good.

Lxm

Comment

I've got two monitors here that I use for viewing AW.com images; an Acer V771 (which needs to be repaired soon, due to cracked solder joints on H/V sync circuits = twitching raster) and a ViewSonic E70 (loaned off a friend to replace former).

I always set the contrast to 100% and the brightness to 0% (the latter helps prolong the life of the CRT), if I need to brighten the screen, I temporarily change XFree86's gamma correction instead (use the "xgamma" command).

With the Acer V771, I originally had it at 9300K (gamma=1.9); it was almost fine, though the white definitely had a noticeable bluish tint. I tried setting it at 6500K instead, the bluish tint became a more subtle yellow, and I reckon it brought out the skin tones a bit more (this also helped a lot for DOMAI's photos). I should try creating an in-between custom colour profile to reach a better compromise.

The ViewSonic E70 presents a different story though; if I set it to either 6500K or 5000K, the yellow tint is pretty much unbearable, but at 9300K (gamma=1.5) it looks slightly better than the V771 (also appears a bit softer), with no noticable tints.

Abby: Perhaps you might be able to post a guide on calibrating your monitor/gamma settings for optimal viewing of the pictures.

This technobabble report is brought to you by Diablo

Comment

Thank's Abby
                    I just set mine to 9300 from 6500. Wow they do look better .
                    Mmm would this help with that dark set?? I hope so .

c

Comment

Well Abby, with your explanation (thank god you did), 'cause I didn't know, I'm at 9300. So like Luxman said, the pictures here are very good. Thank you.

C

Comment

How do you check on a notebook? I have a Dell Latitude D600.

Comment

Default is 9300k. But sometimes I'm using 6500k for movies or pictures (looks very nice together with the "LightFrame" function of my 19" Philips CRT-Monitor ).

German

Comment

Originally posted by alleyes1
                            How do you check on a notebook? I have a Dell Latitude D600.
                            I wondered that too. I have Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L1300. I could adjust colors but didn´t find color temps.

yusa

Comment

Originally posted by German
                              Default is 9300k. But sometimes I'm using 6500k for movies or pictures (looks very nice together with the "LightFrame" function of my 19" Philips CRT-Monitor ).

German
                              Hi German,

Welcome to AW & the boards. Nice nickname btw.

Greetings from your tiny neighbour.

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman
                                Hi German,

Welcome to AW & the boards. Nice nickname btw.

Greetings from your tiny neighbour.

Lxm
                                Hi Luxman,

Thanks. Allright - Luxman, German, who is next?

Greetings from your huge neighbour

German

Comment

Originally posted by Abby
                                  the pics are processed to look best at 9300, FTR.

a
                                  Now you tell us

Duly changed

Comment

Can not find it on me laptop

Comment

Originally posted by stoneyyy
                                      Can not find it on me laptop
                                      You'll need to remove the battery.
                                      Then you should take a Torx screwdriver size 1 and remove the 16 screws on the bottom of your laptop.
                                      After that you are able to remove the cover.
                                      Next, you cut the tiny cable that connects the panel to the graphics card with a knife.
                                      Remove the 4 screews that hold the panel in place.
                                      After removing the panels housing you'll see a dip switch where you can adjust the color temperature.
                                      You will need a standard thermometer to measure the temperature. Adjust it to 37.5 °C.
                                      After that you'll put all the pieces into a box and take it to your reseller for repair or buying a new one.

Attention, this will void the warranty!

Good luck.

Lxm

Comment

I have three different monitors: an LG Flatron L1710S; a Samsung SyncMaster 172N, and a Samsung SyncMaster 710N. The LG is the only one that actually tells me what the colour temperature is and it currently set to 6500K. The Samsungs don't report colour temperature, but I have "Bluish" on the 172N (options are "User Adjusted", "Reddish" and "Bluish") and "Normal" on the 710N (from "Cool", "Normal", "Warm" and "Custom").

At 6500K on the LG the AW images definitely look a bit off - there is a distinct yellow cast which makes the models look jaundiced. 9300K is better, but then all my text looks like shit and as a programmer that is what I spend most of my time looking at, so ergonomics wins out over aesthetics there.

As for the Samsungs, there is no good match between any of the presets (ie. the 172's "bluish" is not a match for the 710n's "cool") and even the same manual settings don't yield a satisfactory match. Again, I'm far more concerned with text than photos or video, so rather than fiddling with the custom settings to get a perfect match, I just picked the most comfortable preset on each and live with the fact that if I slide a window from one monitor to another, it looks quite different.

Comment

Then you should take a Torx screwdriver size 1 and remove the 16 screws on the bottom of your laptop.
                                          Next, you cut the tiny cable that connects the panel to the graphics card with a knife.
                                          After removing the panels housing you'll see a dip switch where you can adjust the color temperature.
                                          You will need a standard thermometer to measure the temperature. Adjust it to 37.5 °C.
                                          After that you'll put all the pieces into a box and take it to your reseller for repair or buying a new one.

Good luck.

Lxm
                                          Thankyou Luxman I will do that right now.

Comment

I notice that the 9300K setting is harsher on my eyes. Blue light is harsher- especially for text. However the pictures do look better. I remember years ago that my dad (who was an amateur photographer) said that standard tungstein incandescent bulbs produced poor quality lighting- too yellow. Hmmm looks like this is related here.

Also some sunglasses specifically block blue light- it makes the sky look post WW3, but this can be better for driving.

Comment

most notebooks have colour temp calibration software on them - in XP, this is found in display properties, settings, advanced, one of the tabs may be named for the graphics card that is in your laptop, and there will be a bunch of (mostly useless, IMO) options.

9300 takes some time to get used to - a few hours of email and browsing, IME. I do not find it harsh on my eyes at all, but I guess it's a personal thing.

"standard" tungsten bulbs produce yellow light when compared to daylight, but if you dad was lighting with tungsten lights on tungsten film, he would not have had much issue (tho, tungsten film was designed for 3600 Kelvin, domestic bulbs, like you houselhold 60w pearl, will be more like 2800 to 3000 K - this can cause problems. You're "supposed" to use "quartz" lamps, which are more expensive and have a more difinitive colour temp... but it changes with how many hours the lamp has done, and hold old the film is. When doing colour prints, you can futz with filters in the enlarger to fix it (colour temp is not an issue on B&W stuff, of course).

In these digital days, if you shoot RAW (uncompressed, as opposed to JPG) files, you can fix WB issues easily. We shoot JPG (files are compressed by the camera as soon as they are captured, in a lossy fashion), and fixing WB in PhotoShop is a lossy exercise, so we need to ensure the camera is set to the correct WB setting when we shoot.

Phew.

a

Comment

Is there any official definition of ratios between Red:Green:Blue intensities for each colour temp rating?

I'm just wondering how I'd go about fixing the colour profile of that Acer monitor of mine, where the 9300K setting is more "bluish" than it ought to be. I also have a few other monitors around here that don't actually specify the kelvin rating for the colour temperature, but instead have an individual 0-100% level setting for red, green and blue.

Comment

Good luck.

Lxm
                                                  Pictures the show Hogan's Heros. ----- Col.Hogan standing over Cpl.Newkirk saying "The blue wire, no the green wire or we will all be blown to bits"....

Random Thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by Randomthoughts
                                                    Pictures the show Hogan's Heros. ----- Col.Hogan standing over Cpl.Newkirk saying "The blue wire, no the green wire or we will all be blown to bits".....
                                                    Just to think that was proberly just up the road from Luxman.......

Comment

Originally posted by stoneyyy
                                                      Just to think that was proberly just up the road from Luxman.......
                                                      Hollywood is nowhere near Lux' s place..........

Oncall

Comment

Originally posted by oncall
                                                        Hollywood is nowhere near Lux' s place..........

Oncall
                                                        ohh duhhh

But where the show was making out it was set

Comment

Well, it wasn't easy to find, since my monitor's menu uses pictograms instead of words (the savage), but I am at 9300k, and damn do these pictures look fine!

Comment

Mine's at 7500k. I guess my monitor just wants to be different...

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X