Download metre.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download metre.

Abby, fucken love your work, you are a total rockstar.

I love the fact that I can see how many people have viewed my photos. Maybe I'm just really vain but I'm interested to know (and maybe some other models are too) exactly how many times my complete folio was downloaded and/or exactly how many pics were downloaded. Is another collum containg information of this nature already available or is this idea a little on the rediculous side perhaps. Any thoughts?

Maybe there could be a feature that would give you a mailing list of any members who haven't downloaded your set? You know - Just to clue them in.

Comment

I tend to agree with Hannibal. You may as well ask Abby for the number of members and subtract 5% for the number who are deceased, moved away, went blind, or became insane.

Comment

I don't know about all this ... people can have very peculiar and/or specific tastes. For instance, I don't like excessive piercings all that much, so say there is a model who has them. I may not like the photos, but enjoy chatting with them on the boards. But if they know I don't like the photos, then that could put a strain on the banter on the boards. In this sense, I think member privacy is a good thing.

Also, I think Abby has tried to avoid things that come across as popularity contests. Jemma, I understand your desire to know this kind of information, but there's a saying that goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." So if you were to go about confronting people who had not yet downloaded your set to find out why, you might put someone in the position of saying something bad. Do you really want that?

I didn't even know you could see how many people have viewed your set. Don't give in to vanity or insecurity ... there are plenty of people who have let you know here on the boards how much they enjoy you and your photos ... think of how many models don't have even that, then be happy, content and proud
        Last edited by matchless; 4 February 2006, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Matchless, I was just kidding - of course anything that goes against the privacy policy, or risks any of the lovely models here getting their feelings hurt, is right out. I was just sounding off on behalf of the Jemma fan club.

I think it's cool that the models can get at that information, if they want it. I see your point about 'popularity contests', but I figure creative professionals can always stand to know more about their audience.

Comment

Jemma, measurements of downloads like that are an illusion - every new imageset that goes live goes through a period in the first week of most members downloading it, which tails off in subsequent days as new models appear. On top of that, a lot of people have viewed the pics but not downloaded, or made a custom zip and downloaded only some of the pics, none of these can be measured.

So in the end, the numbers are meaningless.

Comment

Alright, I can see how having such info wounld be kinda futile and; yes it may create unneccessary issues such as the 'popularity' issue mentioned earlier. It was just a thought (not a good one). Perhaps if I had of thought about it for a little longer before I allowed my fingers to type away, I would have come to the same conclusion on my own.

So yes, I guess the numbers meaningless. Thanks guys xox

Comment

Then there are the members who download but haven't viewed yet ... I've got a lot of things sitting on the back burner these days ...

It seems the sure-fire way to increase your popularity in AbbyLand is to increase your visibility ... redux's, IM's, GG's and thread posting all help ... how many are you willing to do, Jemma? ... which one are you going to do first ...? or should I ask which ones are already "in the can"? ...

p.s. - I know you were just kidding, hannibal. I can get a little sensitive to comments from models who just seem to need a little ego boost. I hope I didn't/don't hurt anyone's feelings

Comment

Hi Jemma!!

I am a perfect example. (Of what, is debateable)
                  If you checked the ficticious log, you would find that I have not downloaded your set yet. At first you might think, "Hmh, phooey on HIM!"
                  However, my lack of downloading was in fact caused by the fact that about 3 weeks or so ago I ran out of hard drive space on my computer. Not to get into my sob story, but at any rate, I just hooked up a brand new hard drive today, so I can resume downloading. Rest assured, I'm looking forward to seeing your set, and chatting on the message board.
                  BTW, as matchless was asking, I'm curious as to what type of set you might be interested in, in the future???

Alleyes

Comment

There are a lot of ways to track this kinda data - analysing stats of what ppl download, anaylsing aggregates and comparing over a time period, counting vistis to a bio page, hot-or-not style (members rate each model on a scale of 1 to 10), members get one vote per week to use, and so on.

End of the day, each of these (and various others that have been proposed) are fraught with danger, not just ethically-morally, but also technically-creatively. I am not sure that it's an area we want to get in to, where we actively encourage all sorts of models to appear, and endore the delicate snowflake attitude (every model is a delicate little snowflake and we love her for her original-ness and individual beuaty).

Jemma, it's not a bad idea on it's own, but like the debacle over what to call models who are not white anglo-saxon, or the one about if showing menstruating is sexy, this is a debate that's going to be long running. If someone can devise a system that will not marginalise models, I'm all ears.

Keep in mind that the Lists thing (check the FAQ, launching soony) will kinda do this in its Stage 2 - "People who liked Jemma, also liked..." (implying that if YOU like Jemma, you might also like...). Data that we gather for this will come from a range of list-based sources (like, how many lists that model appears in, how often she is added to new lists, what people rates thoses lists, and so on). Overall, more like Google than hot-or-not.

a

Comment

Gosh alleyes, I didn't know we had so much in common ... I also just bought a 250mb external hard drive to back up my files. I filled up the desktop HD a few weeks ago and then, in an unrelated incident, was offline for four days at exactly the same time Jemma's set appeared.

Thanks Abby for the post. I know you all are working hard on the "Lists thing" -- I'm looking forward to enjoying the fruits of this labour soony

Comment

....how do you see how many times your photos have been looked at???

Comment

Standard Deviation ?

Originally posted by arsby
                          You may as well ask Abby for the number of members and subtract 5% for the number who are deceased,
                          moved away, went blind, or became insane.
                          Arsby - I've nearly gone blind and I am possibly insane - Does that mean I get counted twice ?
                          However, I am still breathing and haven't moved much lately.
                          Sorry for causing a problem with the Statistics.

TowelBoy

Comment

Originally posted by matchless
                            Gosh alleyes, I didn't know we had so much in common ... I also just bought a 250mb external hard drive to back up my files. I filled up the desktop HD a few weeks ago and then, in an unrelated incident, was offline for four days at exactly the same time Jemma's set appeared.

Thanks Abby for the post. I know you all are working hard on the "Lists thing" -- I'm looking forward to enjoying the fruits of this labour soony
                            My hard drive is working out great so far. I'm considering using the download program, dumeter (www.dumeter.com), that Abby mentions in her bio, to keep track of my downloading. Don't want to overdo it!!!!

Alleyes

Comment

Just a followup on my last post in this thread. I downloaded a trial copy of dumeter, and have been using it for several days and I must say, it's exactly what I was looking for. It keeps track of all your uploads and downloads and, with a couple of clicks of the mouse, will give you daily, weekly, or month -to-date totals. It has a small transparent dialog box that by default is on the lower right corner of the screen that gives you real time info with a line graph and text as to current uploads and downloads. You can close that box at anytime but I've found it not to be bothersome, and I have already gotten into the habit of watching it during downloads or any activity that might include upload or download of info.
                              If your at all interested in these kind of totals, you might want to check it out. There is a 15 day fully functional trial. www.dumeter.com
                              BTW, Abby uses it so it's GOT to be good!!!!

Alleyes

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                              Working...
                              X