Dressing Room and Backstage - a waste of space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dressing Room and Backstage - a waste of space

What is the purpose of Dressing Room and Backstage pictures?

I think its time you scraped the idea.

Theres no point in viewing pictures of models undressing or dressing.

I dislike them and think theyre a major waste of space and viewing.

Anyone else agree?

Hiya Moguzhan, welcome to the site.

There is a FAQ answer on the Dressing Room section, What's this Dressing Room thing all about? It's kinda dumb. And low quality. We ran a survey recently about the DR section, and found there was not much support for it at all, so we may not continue it.

There is not a similar FAQ entry for backstage, because no one has ever asked about it, but perhaps it's time to add one? Backstage lets you see what goes on behind the scenes on our shoots. I can see how they are not for everyone, and you're free to ignore them if they do not float your boat (we add about 100 pics, once a week).

I'd be interested to see other people think about them, thanks for starting the discussion.

a

Comment

hm, just to pick up on your comments again, I gotta say, the internet is one place where "waste of space" as an excuse will not wash. There's unlimited space here!

As for a waste of viewing, well, that's something I'll leave up to you. But we're certainly not forcing you to view anything!

a

Comment

Originally posted by Abby
        There is not a similar FAQ entry for backstage,...
        Honestly, I think a FAQ for backstage isn't really needed. In my eyes the word "Backstage" says it all.

Like a lot of members around I like the Backstage section. It gives a peek behind the scenes.
        It shows funny and/or interesting pictures beside the "official image set".

I can say that Backstage was for me one of the reasons to sign up. Maybe I'm alone on this, but it's the truth.

If someone doesn't like them, there's no problem to get around.

As for the waste of space, hey, it's AW's space, they pay for it, they use it how they like.

Lxm

Comment

I like both the Dressing Room and the Backstage pics very much. Especially the Backstage pics IMO reveal more about models personality because they are even more natural in those pics.

yusa

Comment

I actually quite like the backstage section too, yeah some really funny pictures there ..... just remember Verity with the hat or Jamie standing behind the camera Not less cool the blue subaru or the AWHQ scooter (is that one still "alive"?)

The look behind the scene always has the potential for small surprises.

Comment

I also like both -- and concur on the idea of there being no space in cyberspace that can't be filled with something.

I hope you don't discontinue the dressing room shoots. I like how they differ from the main shoots and the naturalness of them. They are quick and act a sort of epilogue to the photo shoots, IMO.

Comment

One thing to note about both Backstage and Dressing Room is that they hardly use up any extra production time. The events that are being captured in these sets happen regardless of whether they are being captured (well, the model does need to put her clothes back on, right?). Hardly any of your subscription money is being wasted on producing BS & DR (apart from image selection, etc), therefore it makes very little sense to argue against their existance.

Abby's reasoning for BS & DR was to capture these particular stages of each shoot session, in order to add another dimension to the shoot, and the model. I think it's something very unique, that you won't find on most other sites.

Backstage is great for learning about the flow of the shoot from behind the scenes. You'll see the model in a more relaxed, natural state (due to the impromptu nature of the shooting). The stills where the model stands by the model assistant are also fun for height comparisons - as I'm roughly the same height as Jamie and Verity, I could easily determine each model's height, relative to myself. Also, if you're a photography/video geek, you can see what sort of equipment the crew use

As for Dressing Room, here's a quote by me from another thread:
                Originally posted by Diablo
                ...it's always fascinating to find out the different methods the models use to dress themselves (Undies first? Bra first? Tie bra in front or behind? etc...), as well as the unique and intriguing shapes that they form with their bodies while they dress.

Bit of trivia: You can usually tell whether a model is left-handed or right-handed by the way she puts on her underwear/trousers/pants etc
                Last edited by Diablo; 10 February 2006, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I do very much enjoy the Back Stage shoots, they allow us entry into brief moments in the shootings that we will be enjoying later. Adds that sort of adult Disneyland "this is the set and these are the crew and technology used to make it" tours.
                  IMO, The DR's I could do with out. The actual model sets contain enough pictures in various positions, without my need to see a "candid" theme.

Cheers,

RT...

Comment

Like many, i'm not a fan of the DR, but I don't think the Backstage shoot should be associated with them. Their only common point is not be really included in the production of the site, just somehting done on the side, a little extra. But if the DR should only satisfy those interested in "pictures of a girl undressing", the backstage is really a kind of feedback every members can appreciate. A way of knowing how it goes behind the curtain, to pass some funny non erotic pictures. I don't think Backstage pictures' appreciation is a matter of taste.

Even though, i'm not really looking forward any Backstage uploading, like I am for IM and Tiers, i'd be sad to see them go. I'd be glad to answer a survey about them

Comment

Personal Choice !

Originally posted by moguzhan
                      What is the purpose of Dressing Room and Backstage pictures?

I dislike them and think theyre a major waste of space and viewing.

Anyone else agree?
                      I follow a Simple Plan - I watch and look at what I want to - I don't watch or look at what I don't want to.

This I apply not just to AW - it also works for Films, TV, Music, Books, etc

Of course, sometimes I watch or look at something I didn't think I would be interested in - and find I was wrong !

TowelBoy

Comment

With One Notable Exception !

Originally posted by Luxman
                        ... Like a lot of members around I like the Backstage section. It gives a peek behind the scenes.
                        It shows funny and/or interesting pictures beside the "official image set".

Lxm
                        Sadly there is one Image that will never appear in Backstage - It keeps me awake at night - Sometimes ...

TowelBoy

Comment

whats that image towelboy

I was never a big fan of DR but BS is cool

Comment

Backstage & Dressing Room

I'll stick my $0.02 in I guess. Never been much of a DR fan, but would surely miss Backstage, it's one of my favorite features.

Comment

I'm Stunned !

Originally posted by stoneyyy
                              whats that image towelboy
                              Stoneyyy - You of all the AW Fanboys ask that question - you used to ask for it all the time !
                              I am shocked !

TowelBoy

Comment

Please, don't let anyone tell you to forget about 'backstage'. I enjoy them very much, you get to see the girls having fun, being even more natural. Every week I'm waiting very anxiously for it. I think it's an added plus to this site.

Comment

DR occasionally is good because of its complete change of mood. I enjoyed some for the framing and some shot through obstructions like blinds or gause curtains. However, I wouldn't be too sad to see their end.

BS is an entirely different story. I really missed it while it was in numbering hiatus, and was glad to see it back.

Comment

I'm surprised to hear the survey on DRs didn't show much interest. I really like them. I don't care for the 'hidden camera' look to some of them, with things obstructing the shot, but I like getting to see the models prepare. I mean, where else can you see that?
                                    I can remember thinking a few times, "The only thing that could improve this set is more of it." Then, lo and behold, there's a DR set. Always puts a smile on my face.

Comment

Originally posted by TowelBoy
                                      Stoneyyy - You of all the AW Fanboys ask that question - you used to ask for it all the time !
                                      I am shocked !

TowelBoy
                                      I know! I know "the image that will never appear backstage"!

He's right, Stoneyyy. Sit down and think about what he's talking about.

Comment

Dressing Room and Backstage are both good concepts, but definitely should be used very sparingly.

Whilst I acknowledge one doesn't have to look them, that also applies to many of the shoots and videos I
                                        don't like, so for me, it dilutes the site even further.

If they are being dropped, can I please suggest a daily 'huge damp minge' instead.

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal8
                                          I'm surprised to hear the survey on DRs didn't show much interest. I really like them. I don't care for the 'hidden camera' look to some of them, with things obstructing the shot, but I like getting to see the models prepare. I mean, where else can you see that?
                                          I can remember thinking a few times, "The only thing that could improve this set is more of it." Then, lo and behold, there's a DR set. Always puts a smile on my face.
                                          What he said

Comment

Long live BS !!

Comment

I question the tendency to refer to Backstage as "BS". I don't think that's helping its case.

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                                                I question the tendency to refer to Backstage as "BS". I don't think that's helping its case.
                                                I'd argue that we've already set the context (discussing backstage and dressing room sets, as determined by the thread title), therefore there should be a presumption that "BS" in this thread means "Backstage", for brevity purposes, rather than the other, steaming hot kind of "BS".

Like in your own words, "A cigar is still a cigar"... even if a certain former US president found an alternative usage for one

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                                                  I've always resisted the urge to address you as VD ...

Comment

Originally posted by matchless
                                                    I've always resisted the urge to address you as VD ...
                                                    That's a good thing ML.

Lxm

Comment

Matchless - better to have stiff lips.

RT...

Comment

Hi all.
                                                        To be honest I was quite surprised by this topic as to the Dressing Room shoots and the results of the survey - though I must admit I did not take part in part in it, since I had barely rejoined the site when it took place. I find these shoots to be fun and quite in the spirit of the site. Plus they sometimes give glimpses the main shoot would be unable too.
                                                        In any case as I understand it from the faq they don't replace or take up the space for other updates and they don't keep the model from doing anything else instead so why scrape them ? They are maybe not the best part of the site but they are a nice addition and bonus to the main updates so I am happy with them.
                                                        As to Backstage they are great and an important feature of AW in my opinion. I really really hope they stay !
                                                        Long live the extras !

Comment

Originally posted by patate82
                                                          Long live the extras !
                                                          Well said!

Lxm

Comment

Backstage is so much fun! I really look forward to them each week. Dressing Room, not so much, but it is a nice extra.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X