Just a little sensitive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a little sensitive

I was lucky enough to convince the tax man that he owed me money last year and treated myself to a digital SLR cameral (Canon EOS 350D to be exact).

I am now beginning to see signs of dust appearing on the sensor but have been warned against doing more than using a blower without the brush.

Abby, anyone, what do you use?

Bluebottle, it's a tough one. We send our cameras in to be cleaned professionally. There are a lot of sites out there for tips on cleaning your own sensor (brushes, air, swabs, etc), tho, and most of the have a good rep.

Just be careful, cos nothing is covered by warranty. If you're paranoid, best leave it to the pros.

a

Comment

Thanks Abby, I'll find out how much the pros charge and make my choice.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi, I just bought my first Digital SLR 3 weeks ago. Coming from Film for over 20 years. My past job for most of those years as a Freelance Photographer. I sure wish I had digital back than.
        Getting back to your question Bluebottle. A freind of mine owns & used Digital SLR's for apx 3 years now, after 3 years of use photographing mainly rodeo's, He had so much dust in his camera that it use to take some time in photoshop to clean the image. He decided to send the camera away to get cleaned. It cost him over AU $200.00 by the time he got his camera back. I was somewhat surprised at such a high fee. My freind told me give it time & I will have the same problem. Well gues what it did not take long at all before I started to notice dust in my images.

I thought to myself, If I have to send my camera away every few months or so, the costs in keeping the sensor clean in my oppinion is way to much, I thought there must be something better out there & much cheaper.

I started to search the net, Forums etc, on this subject & came upon the Sensor Brushes from Canada. After spending a couple of weeks researching on Forums the sensor brush is getting rave reveiws & never read a bad report about them. I decided last week to order the Sensor Brush Kit to suite my camera a Canon 30D.

I also ordered what's called the Arctic Butterfly. www.visibledust.com What a great unit this is. Go to the site & read up about it. I bought both the Arctic Butterfly & the Sensor Brush. The standard Sensor Brush is great , the Arctic Butterfly is great for portability & travelling.

A freind of mine who is a well known Australian Nature Photographer has been using Digital Cameras for apx a year now. As you could imagine working in some of the environments he photographs finds that dust on sensor is a major issue for him. He generaly uses his Compresser to blow out the dust from his Cameras. Something I do not reccomend. It works for him, but he is very careful. I caught up with my freind while he was passing through town last Saturday & told him about the Arctic Butterfly & Sensor Brush. He has some dust marks that not even his method will get rid off. I suggested to him we should try out the Arctic Butterfly. It was incredible got rid of all the dust. He has ordered one today.

I went out to a country horse event on Saturday. After changing lens twice I noticed a few specks of dust on my camera. I than swiped once on the sensor with the Brush. All dust gone.

One of the best reviews I found on the Sensor Brushes is here: www.outdooreyes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=185376&
        In the link above when you click on it. the site will not open this is because the two Capital B in the link are not in capital. Once you click on the above link & the page opens, just change the Capital B's shown above to Capital on the page opened. Maybe this is something Abby can look into. I find it very strange it does not support the Capital letters.

I purchased my Sensor Brushes from www.kayell.com.au. Melbourne. The Melbourne store was cheaper than any other suppliers I could find.
        Last edited by phillipsart; 26 March 2006, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Bluebottle,

Unless you know what the dust is, why risk the life of your very nice piece of equipment? Yes, there are all kinds of sites, selling all kinds of miracle cures (and brushes) but if you don't know how to really use it any of it - you can make it worse - or much worse!

It's all a matter of risk/gain. If you can afford messing it up completely - why not give it a go? But really, cleaning the sensor is really sensitive stuff and is probably best left to a pro. Qualified/certified repair shops can give you warrantees/guarantees/estimates by just looking at your camera (+ example file) - I guess that's why they are called "pros", eh? The only thing that really sucks with sending your camera in (for whatever reason) is that you might not see it for awhile...

If you are thinking about trying it yourself - read this: http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/ (And THEN send it to a pro... ) Most people don't even see problems with their shots - and you do! Either your camera is very messed up (should be sent to a pro) or you are a perfectionist (should be sent to a pro)...

... Then again - there's always Photoshop...

Smileys aside - I hope you get your camera back to where it's supposed to be! Quickly! Nothing worse than sitting around/'working' without your tool of choice.
          Last edited by foppa21; 27 March 2006, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
          Working...
          X