Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing Photographers

Hi

Thought some may be interested in this doc - a spec on what the Managing Photographer (MP) is responsible for on an AW shoot. Realllly corporate, but sensible I guess.

a

Model/s introduced to Managing Photographer
    • explain role - most senior shooter
    • safety officer, responsible for safety, report safety concerns
    • introduce other staff on shoot
    Car packed with correct and necessary gear (per spec)
    Triple check first aid kit is packed
    MP's mobile phone is charged, working, with credit
    Newsletter reviewed for shoot ideas
    Backstage camera charged, memory media, spare batteries and media
    Shoot safety (per safety spec)
    • next of kin, medical issues, allergies docs completed at beginning of day
    • inspect outside location
        • with a barefoot dangers consideration
        • suitability regarding harassment or complaint
        • not trespassing
        • model comfort
        • monitor these issues throughout shoot
        • mobile phone service
    • first aid kit is on shoot and available
    • ensure models do not go above 1m high without a handrail
    • ensure all staff and models wear sunscreen, throughout shoot
    Forms filled out and signed correctly
    Bios filled out correctly per spec
    Backstage camera is used per spec
    ID photographed per spec
    Specific location (room) for shoot is suitable
    • for model (style, comfort)
    • not wasteful regarding future locations
    • no personal info "told"
    • suitable for cross media (video / stills)
    • not been used before
    Clothing for model chosen per spec
    If MP has shooting duties, model/s shot per spec
    Re-check Newsletter for shoot / shot ideas
    Models fed if shoot longer than x hours
    Models comfort level throughout shoot monitored
    • Posing level confirmed at start of shoot
    • Posing level tested before end of shoot
    Monitor times
    • each shoots duration
    • subsequent scheduling issues (Feck, GMED)
    • model's personal appointments
    • reasonable time for shoot
    • consideration given to meal breaks, hunger concerns
    Ensure all gear is well treated by staff and models
    Gear faults reported at end of shoot to suitable person
    Model paid correctly (per spec)
    Locations paid correctly per spec if a paid location
    Car issues
    • driven responsibly and legally by MP
    • no gear left in overnight
    • no parking illegally
    • never left unlocked when unattended
    • faults reported
    Doc filed upon return per spec
    • release forms
    • handwritten bios
    • model info doc shredded
    Media filed upon return per spec
    • video backed up
    • stills copied to auto backup dir
    Safety officer informed if any materials from first aid kit used
    Important issues called to attention of Managing Director

hummm sounds like we are going to war!...above all do not forget the first aid kit. Do we have many model injuries??

Jerry

Comment

Abby,
      It look's as if you are following ISO 900. IF Aw is following ISO, are you cerifed or compliant.
      Model info doc shredded ? not filed?
      By the way thanks for sharing, found it to be interesting and inlighting.

c

opps it is 9000
      Last edited by Chasaffton; 6 April 2006, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryOR
        hummm sounds like we are going to war!...above all do not forget the first aid kit. Do we have many model injuries??
        Had a few injuries on shoots, mostly our fault, getting the model to do dumb things (MaryJane climbing on a dead tree, for example). Had things that can happen anywhere as well - knee to coffee table, stubbed toe, sunburn that sort of stuff. On a bit of a mission to eliminate that sort of stuff now.

a

Comment

Originally posted by Chasaffton
          It look's as if you are following ISO 900. IF Aw is following ISO, are you cerifed or compliant.
          The safety stuff is required under Austalian law. The rest is just sensible business stuff. I am not familair with ISO 900 (do you mean 9000?).

Model info doc shredded ? not filed?
          All the info is in a web-based database, we do printouts with a summary of the models info that goes out on shoots, then we shred that doc on return to office.

a

Comment

Well, I am even more impressed with the quality of the images now that I have an idea of how involved a job it is. There is a lot more to it than I thought.

Comment

I always used to get annoyed when people said things like, "Oh I'll bet working on a film is so much fun!"

Yeah, after two hours of waiting for the DP to get the fill light just right, everyone is in stitches

Thanks for posting this bit of legal mumbo jumbo ... now I know why I avoided all this stuff. And your example of what happened to MaryJane makes me think I should never avoid legal matters again ... or liability insurance

Comment

It's great to see that a lot of thought, planning and common sense has gone into these processes. After all, it only takes one disgruntled model to sue, or to start bad vibes among other potential models, and a lot of damage can be dealt to an otherwise well-earned reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby
                  The safety stuff is required under Austalian law. The rest is just sensible business stuff. I am not familair with ISO 900 (do you mean 9000?).

All the info is in a web-based database, we do printouts with a summary of the models info that goes out on shoots, then we shred that doc on return to office.

a
                  Yes I did mean ISO 9000. Was wonding if you use it and how you would apply it.

c

Comment

Originally posted by Chasaffton
                    Yes I did mean ISO 9000. Was wondering if you use it and how you would apply it.
                    This list looks more based in reality and on experience ISO works the other way around, you write down what you want the reality to be, with actions included. At least 9001 is that way. I did note a lot of reference to the Safety person indeed, so I figured that was some sort of law requirement. Does that first-aid kit include a handheld fire-extinguisher btw. ?

It is a useful checklist, besides the 'Safety' stuff it doesn't look overly corporate to me Can't expect people to remember ALL those points, that would be wasting valuable experience. Was wondering about the MP having to return a shredded document, which is messy, but I see they have to return it to the office and THEN shred it Wise rule that.

What does this check: "not wasteful regarding future locations" mean ?

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW
                      What does this check: "not wasteful regarding future locations" mean ?
                      I suppose it means not using too many different surroundings in a one shoot, other words saving them to shoots with other models. It is not that easy to find places to shoot at.

yusa

Comment

Originally posted by yusanord
                        I suppose it means not using too many different surroundings in a one shoot, other words saving them to shoots with other models. It is not that easy to find places to shoot at.

yusa
                        Speaking of which, is shooting nudity in public places legal in Oz? Shooting it for a commercial purpose I mean, since some country laws differentiate between that. Never been to Oz though, so I wouldn't know :-)

Comment

Very interesting! I've always wondered what all goes into a shoot. That's a lot to keep up with. You have even more of my respect now! Thanks, Abby, for sharing that.
                          Cheers.

Comment

fransAW, we do not have a fire extinguisher, and you're right, we should have one on shoots, also in the car (we have them at the office). Will add them to the list.

yusanord is correct in his guess about being wasteful of locations.

Shooting in public spaces is a grey area. It's kinda like that "if a tree falls in the forrest and there's no one to hear it..." riddle. When shooting outside, we choose locations carefully, to ensure no one is around. We post lookouts, and if we see people coming, we cover the model if she is naked.

If the police are called and are feeling belligarent, the model can be fined a small amount, but it'd be unusual (and has never happenned for us). The offience is "lewd behaviour".

a

Comment

yusanord is correct in his guess about being wasteful of locations. ... a
                              Locations are among the most problematic areas of shooting that you can imagine.

jo

Comment

I loved shooting on location ... but then again, I couldn't afford to shoot in a studio

I think just about every film I ever made included a scene shot wherever I was living at the time I was shooting.

Comment

fransAW, we do not have a fire extinguisher, and you're right, we should have one on shoots, also in the car (we have them at the office). Will add them to the list.

yusanord is correct in his guess about being wasteful of locations.

Shooting in public spaces is a grey area. It's kinda like that "if a tree falls in the forrest and there's no one to hear it..." riddle. When shooting outside, we choose locations carefully, to ensure no one is around. We post lookouts, and if we see people coming, we cover the model if she is naked.

If the police are called and are feeling belligarent, the model can be fined a small amount, but it'd be unusual (and has never happenned for us). The offience is "lewd behaviour".

a
                                  Have only been to Oz once - there wasn't that much time to look around but - in my wildest dreams I wouldn't have expected anyone living there to have a 'problem' with locations ?

Comment

Well, there is ca. 860 models, 1600 picture sets and over 1800 videos, with so much content if one doesn't want to use same places many times, locations are hard to find. And places should be within a reasonable distance too.

yusa

Comment

I wouldn't be too strict about revisiting some interesting locations. Places like the waterfall set and the pool where Christina and Jamie shot their adventure are good for repeats. Also, even a slight shift in shooting angle can make a place new and few would notice the repeat.

Comment

Let me be the first of the team to say theres a fair chance Abby could never convince us to hike and hour and a half each way to that waterfall ever again. Longest, hardest day ever. I am determined to find "private" waterfall locations that require less than half that effort!

s

Comment

You could go to the one we used for the Christiana jungle shoot. It's ninety minutes drive away, and a half hour trek.

Comment

There are some falls out the back of Rosebud from memory, they are not hard to get to

Comment

Abby, you forgot to add the Aeroguard

Comment

Rosebud ... wasn't that a sled?

Comment

Real Meaning ?

Originally posted by matchless
                                                  Rosebud ... wasn't that a sled?
                                                  Citizen Matchless ... Do I have to tell you what a " Rosebud " really is ?

Stoneyyy already told me he has seen some on this Site.

TowelBoy

Comment

Yes, and I'm not surprised you were the first to spot the funny Rosebud is a metaphor or maybe a better word would be euphamism. Rumour has it that this was also a "pet-name" used by the real life William Randolph Hearst to describe a certain favourite part of his mistress' ... um, body. You know ...

TowelBoy ... I thought I told you and stoneyyy not to play in the "garden"
                                                    Last edited by matchless; 10 April 2006, 05:11 AM. Reason: for lack of a better word

Comment

Rosebud

Comment

Here's a hint for all the aw video people-

UN PLUG THE DAMN PHONE---BEFORE YOU START TO FILM THE IM'S.

ThiMk ahead!!!!!

Comment

Dude, watch your tone.

When I say to a model "Hey, you've turned your phone off, right?"and she says "Yeah! Of course!"and I then LEAVE THE ROOM (and usually the house), what more can I do. You think it doesn't piss me right off when the phone rings? Nah, really, I think its awesome. All my hard work organising the model and setting up the shoot, making it look awesome and then I realise her phone has rung. It's the best!

Obviously you have no idea what its like to be producing material that thousands of people are going to see, and knowing that they are going to be highly critical of it. Sometimes, they say nice things, but it doesn't stop them holding back from letting us know when (in their expert opinion, of course) we have done something wrong. So, hows about you stop with the patronising comments and next time offer some constructive feedback eh?

Thanks, and enjoy all my upcoming IM shoots...especially the ones with traffic noise, helicopters (yah, I should "think ahead" and call the Army right?) and motorbikes, gardeners...

s

Comment

Hey Susie, some people needs to be ignored. There could be worse things then a phone ringing.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X