Download speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download speed

I've noticed over the last few weeks that download speeds have decreased from my normal of about 500kb/sec or more, to usually less than 150kb/sec.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with all the havoc AW is going through with the move.

If so, then I apologize for bothering youse guys , but if not, please add this to your (probably MASSIVE) list of things to look into.

Thnx

ABM

I just dloaded Areil and everything seems normal at 500+/second --maybe time of day where you live with activity at that time

Comment

Originally posted by alexbee
      I've noticed over the last few weeks that download speeds have decreased from my normal of about 500kb/sec or more, to usually less than 150kb/sec.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with all the havoc AW is going through with the move.

If so, then I apologize for bothering youse guys , but if not, please add this to your (probably MASSIVE) list of things to look into.
      Downloading is fine here (300-500 kb/sec). If you are on DSL (or ADSL) it could be your modem needs to be reset. Just unplug it, wait for at LEAST fiveteen minutes (some modems are sensitive to quick powercycling, older Alcatels for sure are) and plug it back in. That way the modem will re-negotiate the line-speed, sometimes the modem adjusts it downwards due to temporary bad line-quality and never ups it afterwards.

-Frans

Comment

Originally posted by alexbee
        I can tell you, this has nothing to do with AWHQ's move, the servers are located far away in the US and didn't move at all.

Lxm

Comment

What you're experiencing is called the randomness of the internet. Because of the diffeent routes available from point A to points B, C, and Q, all it takes is one bottleneck somewhere in amongst it all to slow your connection down.

I experience this a lot, because between Australia and the US there are a kazillion places where things can get squeezed, as opposed to the quarter of a kazillion places that US residents encounter.

Comment

Try using a download manager that pulls down serveral parts of the file at once

Comment

In my opnion, this site has become noticeably slower than other web sites in the last couple of weeks.

Comment

I know it seems like it must be the site itself that is slow, because you can visit other sites and they are not slow. But believe me, there are also plenty of people who find our site to be just as speedy as it ever has been, and if that is the case, how can it be our fault that it is slow?

The journey an internet link takes between you and the destination is a long and twisted one, sometimes not even making sense where it hops through. Every site you go to, the journey takes a different route. At any point in that journey there may be something that is causing a delay, a bottleneck, a slowdown, or a complete stop. It is not your end, it is not our end, it is some random and unfortunate place in between.

With broadband this has become more evident than it used to, because back in the day the slowdown was the same speed as dialup anyway, so you didn't notice it. Now, when we expect 350k a sec and it is instead 12k a sec, it becomes more obvious, and therefore in our minds we consider it to be more frequent than ever before, when in fact it's probably no more frequent at all.

We know full well how much it sucks. It sucks that it happens, it sucks that we cannot fix it, and it sucks that we usually get the blame for it anyway.

Oh well, what can ya do?

Comment

Thanks all.

Thanks VeeDee for the explanation, and frans, I'll try the resetting-the-modem trick when I'm finished today.

So much to download, so little bandwidth

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                  Working...
                  X