Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the font sizes

Hi,
    Something I've always wanted to ask about the fonts on the messageboard. Right now as I'm typing this it says that my font is Treguchet MS and my size is 2. What I am going to do is reduce the font size to 1 and type a sentance. Then I'm going to change the font size back to 2 and type another sentance. The thing that puzzles me, is that when you return the font size back to 2 and type again, it doesn't look like I'm typing now:

This is typed with font size of 1.

This is typing with the font size set back to 2 with the Trebuchet MS font as font in all three cases.
    Any ideas?

Alleyes

It used to be simple - when font sizes were set in the HTML they were fixed, and entirely unchangeable. Now, setting font sizes are designed to be dynamically changeable, so you have to set them so that the default is great for those who aren't the type who alter font sizes to make them readable, but if they do want to change them, they can.

Anyhoo, what I'm getting at is, the Size=1 and Size=2 is old terminology that doesn't dovetail very accurately with dynamic sizing that is set in percentages or based on the EM scale.

Comment

Alleyes1, what you can do is simply close off the [size] tags, like I do, so it returns to the original default font setting. For example:

Code:
      [noparse]I'm default size...
      [size=1]Help! I've been shrunk![/size]
      Now I'm back to default again...[/noparse]
      gives:
      I'm default size...
      Help! I've been shrunk!
      Now I'm back to default again...

This is using the VBulletin standard mode post editor of course; you might be using the enhanced mode editor, that gives you a WYSIWYG view (where VB is secretly inserting [size=2] tags for you whenever you restore the font size).

For the standard mode post editor, you'll need to be familiar with the tag names, though you can use the icons on the toolbar to insert them for you. You can change the default post editor on your user control panel options page.

FTR, I'm using Mozilla 1.7.12 under Linux. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Diablo; 30 April 2006, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Vid Dude and Diablo,
        Thanks for your help. I'll play around a little with in the "test messages" to make sure I've got it down.

Alleyes

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo
          FTR, I'm using Mozilla 1.7.12 under Linux. Hope this helps.
          Interesting in that under Opera 8 for Linux, the <FONT SIZE="1"> failed to cause a font size change.

There may be something overriding it.

Besides, why would one want to change font sizes in sections of a posting, in a forum? This is not a place for doing doing fancy page layout.

Comment

Sometimes you want to be able to emphasise or de-emphasise a section of text, and the formatting features are handy for that. It's like tone of voice. Electronic text mediums are notorious sources of confusion for some, so attributes like these really help out.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
            Working...
            X