Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSS/Podcast feeds of photos and videos for favourite models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RSS/Podcast feeds of photos and videos for favourite models?

Okay, so here's the rub - there are some models here that just blow my mind and others, it's fair to say, that are not really my cup of tea. Nothing personal, just the way it is I guess.

Why not extend the idea of the lists to allow podcast style RSS feeds of videos and photos of our favourite models (add to favourites link on model page), a new models/shoots feed with a sample of videos/photos and the ability to subscribe to a feed for every list on the site.

(geek mode on)
    Now, I know there is some pretty cheaky code controlling the downloads (video especially) with referrer checking, etc, but I have been experimenting with using a unique hash in the download URI and HTTP basic auth over an HTTPS connection to facilitate a reasonably secure download from a potentially published URL.
    (geek mode off)

I can see there being a potential issue with appropriateness (pretty bad press if one of your customers is watching it on the train for all to see on their iPod) but at least mpg and wmv are unsupported formats for the iPod

Anyway, that's my idea, which I give for free. File for forget, your call.

Originally posted by jamesotron
    Now, I know there is some pretty cheaky code...
    Hi jamesotron,

Was wondering if you would explain clearer your expression "cheaky code".

Thanks,
    Alleyes

Comment

We've been kicking the idea of RSS feeds around here for a while. There is nothing terribly challenging about them technically, though authentication can be an issue. For feeds of public data (eg. the news page), it's not an issue. Other feeds we have discussed have the advantage that we have some degree of control over the nature of clients that we need to support.

"Podcasts" of videos and/or images is another matter. There are a variety of podcast clients that we would have to support. I don't know if all of them will support a useful authentication protocol. I am not keen on the idea of embedding hash codes in feed URIs because it makes it too easy for people to swap feeds, and in so doing, swap authentication credentials.

That's not to say your suggestion is unwelcome. I've always wanted to set up some kind of RSS feed system on AW, and I am sure that it will happen in time, but for the moment there are other priorities.

Comment

Does this means my question is passed over??

ae

btw, jamesotron, welcome to Abbywinters !! The Best Damn Site on the Internet!!!
        (no bias here, of course!)
        Last edited by alleyes1; 19 May 2006, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alleyes1
          Was wondering if you would explain clearer your expression "cheaky code".
          Basically there's a lot of referrer, session and other stuff checking before it lets you have access to content. It also only let's you attempt to download over a certain window of time (if your download timesout after 30 minutes and you try to resume it then you're out of luck for example). Just someone has spent some time thinking about it, which is cool and as a programmer I think of it as cheeky

Originally posted by willow
          We've been kicking the idea of RSS feeds around here for a while. There is nothing terribly challenging about them technically, though authentication can be an issue. For feeds of public data (eg. the news page), it's not an issue. Other feeds we have discussed have the advantage that we have some degree of control over the nature of clients that we need to support.

"Podcasts" of videos and/or images is another matter. There are a variety of podcast clients that we would have to support. I don't know if all of them will support a useful authentication protocol. I am not keen on the idea of embedding hash codes in feed URIs because it makes it too easy for people to swap feeds, and in so doing, swap authentication credentials.

That's not to say your suggestion is unwelcome. I've always wanted to set up some kind of RSS feed system on AW, and I am sure that it will happen in time, but for the moment there are other priorities.
          Well, I suppose that depends on your level of service to your customers. You can get away with a lot of stuff by calling it "beta" these days But seriously, I think you can think of things in terms of the "big three", iTunes, iPodderX and iPodder Lemon. (Actually, just as an aside some audio-only files would be great too. Someone telling sexy stories, reading erotica or having an "IM" might be fun to listen to)
          There's also iPhoto in terms of "photocasts" but that's a limited amount of users at this stage.
          Anyway, I think the thing is that I am lazy and would love to just have new videos "pop up" as it were, and since you guys don't do any advertising anyway then it would potentially be a bandwidth saver to not have people trolling all over your site looking for content to snarf.
          Well, I am happy you have been thinking about it, so cool.

Originally posted by alleyes1
          btw, jamesotron, welcome to Abbywinters !! The Best Damn Site on the Internet!!!
          (no bias here, of course!)
          Thanks! It's a pleasure to be here

Comment

Originally posted by jamesotron
            I suppose that depends on your level of service to your customers. You can get away with a lot of stuff by calling it "beta" these days
            I think most people would agree our service is pretty good. I do not think this is a service issue.

We polled the member base a few months ago about releasing our video as podcastable, or playable on PSP / iPod / etc, and had an extremely soft response. But, we should do it again, see what it's like now.

a

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
            Working...
            X