• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Internet explorer crash

My explorer crashes when I try to enter the thread:
    "Abbywinter.com discussion:
    Sticky: New Members and Lurkers!!!"

Everything else works fine. Happens every time I try to access the thread..
    the whole program instantly closes with no warning or post crash indication.
    I have tried rebooting computer, reentering browser, trying different threads. Nothing works . Only on this thread do I crsh.

Any explanation?

thanks
    geoman

geoman, have you got the whole lot of recent MS security patches that update IE and XP SP2?

Comment

Just tried it myself and it works fine for me. Like bookmanz says, make sure your OS and browser are completely up to date. Also, try it with another browser: Firefox and Opera are both free and make excellent alternatives to Internet Explorer.

Comment

You can try clearing your temp internet files as well as history then retry it, you may have a glitch in there

Comment

Do IE crashes show up in the Event Viewer under either System or Application? You may have to be administrator to check it.

ae

btw, i have the latest patches via automatic update and I had no problems entering that thread.
          Last edited by alleyes1; 18 June 2006, 01:27 PM.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by willow
            Just tried it myself and it works fine for me. Like bookmanz says, make sure your OS and browser are completely up to date. Also, try it with another browser: Firefox and Opera are both free and make excellent alternatives to Internet Explorer.
            Thank you for response. I guess I have the problem. My Browser is complete and up to date. WinXP sp1 and sp2 complete. (I just checked.)

I may have to resort to trying an alternative. I am someone who likes to know why one thing does not work before I go to an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by alleyes1
              Do IE crashes show up in the Event Viewer under either System or Application? You may have to be administrator to check it.

ae

btw, i have the latest patches via automatic update and I had no problems entering that thread.
              Thanks for the thought.
              Nothing shows up in the "Event Viewer" when I load the program. It is as if nothing happened between the previous event and the reload of the brogram.

I am the administrator of my system.

I have the most up to date version that I can find short of the new 7 Beta version
              6.0.2900 xpsp-sp2 (update version sp2)

Comment

Originally posted by bookmanz
                geoman, have you got the whole lot of recent MS security patches that update IE and XP SP2?
                Good question. Yes, I have the most recent security patches and updates. I just rechecked and hour ago .

Comment

Originally posted by stoneyyy
                  You can try clearing your temp internet files as well as history then retry it, you may have a glitch in there
                  Good Idea. I tried it. It did not solve the problem.

Comment

One last thing: have you done a full virus and/or adware scan on your system recently? If that doesn't turn up anything, then all I can suggest is that you have a buggy IE extension installed. Also, you could try re-installing Windows (which I think has a "repair" option).

Comment

Originally posted by willow
                      One last thing: have you done a full virus and/or adware scan on your system recently? If that doesn't turn up anything, then all I can suggest is that you have a buggy IE extension installed. Also, you could try re-installing Windows (which I think has a "repair" option).
                      adware scan looked promising but no change.
                      buggy IE extension is a proising idea, I also wonder about some setting in the security part of IE, Re installing windows seems a little extreme. Switching to a Mac might be a better idea.
                      I will keep experimenting . and tell you when I solve the problem ( if I do in the next 6 months.)

Comment

geoman,

Here is Microsoft's IE newsgroup. I searched on the word 'crash' and got quiet a few results. A number of them sounded kind of like your problem in their "subject" but i didn't see any that got resolved. (I only looked at a couple). I believe to post to this newsgroup you have to have a MS Passport id.

ae

Comment

Originally posted by alleyes1

Here is Microsoft's IE newsgroup. ae
                          Good Idea. I had forgotten about that resource. I'll dig out my Id and check it out.

Comment

i have a failsafe solution for you: ditch ie and download mozilla firefox. your net life will thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielle
                              ditch ie and download mozilla firefox. .
                              At this point in my quest, this is a very tempting proposal. But will the Microsoft police come after me?

Comment

Firefox it is

I give up. Firefox it is. I always try to do what a lady tells me to do. Thanks Gabrielle.
                                Works fine. I must admit that my son-in-law said the same thing...that I should use firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by geoman
                                  But will the Microsoft police come after me?
                                  They won't but some others might. Here's a little "secret" nobody wants to know: Top Applications with Critical Security Vulnerabilities

Here's a link to the article at Bit9 the above story came from: http://www.bit9.com/press061906.html If you follow links from there you can get the whole list.

I'm not suggesting people give up their favorite software but in the computer security profession this is a very serious matter and it's not the story trumpeted by the popular news media. Interestingly, everyone's favorite villain (i.e., IE) isn't on the list.

- L

Comment

Originally posted by Leprechaun
                                    They won't but some others might. Here's a little "secret" nobody wants to know:

- L
                                    Ohhhh!!! Now I am in trouble. I have already installed Firefox.

Of course, the article is sponsored by Microsoft, refers to an outdated version of Firefox, and does not detail the poor security risks of IE. And more important Firefox works here on this forum where EI consistantly crashes for me when I enter some threads.

Why are computers always such a problem. Anything else that worked this badly, we would all take back to the store for a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoman
                                      Firefox works here on this forum where EI consistantly crashes for me when I enter some threads.
                                      Which is precisely why you should use Firefox (But keep it patched!). The point is that every week each of the major browsers is found to have one or more new vulnerabilities. MS was so savaged and humiliated by hackers, crooks, and security analysts for so long that they've supposedly got their act together and are getting high marks from the security professionals. It's now Mozilla/FF, Opera, and Safari that are getting the most criticism from security watchdogs. (Earlier this week it only took a few hours after Opera came out with an update fixing security holes for a new vulnerabilty to surface.) So when you hear people (or the news media) say that such-and-such a browser is safer than others, be wary. They're likely telling you something they've heard, not something they know. And in any case, what we know about this stuff today will be outdated by next Tuesday.

- L

Comment

Originally posted by Leprechaun
                                        They won't but some others might. Here's a little "secret" nobody wants to know: Top Applications with Critical Security Vulnerabilities
                                        "Unpatched versions are insecure"??? Well, that's why there are patches!

Comment

All the browers have their flaws, and the more popular FF gets the more it will be attacked, lets face it the aim of these people that do this is to get maximum bang for buck, so as more use FF then they will target that too.
                                          One should be aware and use things like firewalls, virus protectors, anti spywear etc keeping it all updated and be cautious of what you open in emails etc, I use privatley a lot of the web based emails so I can veiw them on the web first and download to outlook afterwards.

back on topic, did you find the crash issue?

Comment

back on topic, did you find the crash issue?
                                            No! It is still a mystery to me.

FireFox works well.

Examining the threads that were impossible to enter using my EI, I see nothing obvious that could have triggered a shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                                              "Unpatched versions are insecure"???
                                              Patched versions are insecure too, they just don't yet know where to put the next patch!

Lxm

Comment

c, did you find the crash issue?
                                                I did a complete scan of my computer, deleting all temp files, and doing several days of clean up. Whatever the problem was this seems to have corrected it.
                                                My Microsoft Internet explorer seems to work fine on all the threads now.
                                                Proper house cleaning seems to be important after all.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                Working...
                                                X