Search Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search Frustration

I'm sure I'm going to like the girls on this site...and after reading through Abby's "philosophical statements" I liked what she had to say...and so that's why I just tonight joined up for a three-month subscription...but I'm not so sure I'm going to like the organization of this site.

What good are all the ten millions "lists"...this list, that list...site sponsored model lists...site sponsored video lists...recommendation baloney...blah blah blah...ten million FAQs...and the complicated structure of galleries...when I can't even seem to conduct a simple search for something I'm looking for?

From what I've seen so far...and of course this is my first time on the site, so maybe I'm missing something obvious...it seems that all I can do is search for a model by name, and that's all. That doesn't help. I don't know any of the models, so why would I want to type in "Brunhilda" or "Gertrude"? It's much more likely that I'll be looking for a certain "type" of pictures...it seems that there's no way for me to do that. For example...if I want to see if there's a model who has done a set of "smoking" pictures...or maybe a model who has done a set of "ballet" pictures...is there any way for me to search for that?

I've tried various "search" forms I'm stumbled onto throughout the site, but when I try my searches, the "search" feature seems unresponsive.

I've seen lots of "search" forms in my years on the internet, but never have seen any that work the way yours do. Very weird. If I'm missing something here, I'd appreciate a few helpful pointers. Thanks.

*CounterSpy*

If you're looking for specific categories that models or shoots may fall under, you should look in the "Site Sponsored Lists".

If you want to find something very specific, in combinations of categories, you should look with the Advanced Search.

Comment

Hi CounterSpy, welcome to AW and the wacky wonderful boards.
      It's much more likely that I'll be looking for a certain "type" of pictures...is there any way for me to search for that?
      My best suggestion would be to start with Site Model Lists The lists concept is still fairly new to the site, and the Site Models List is the current incarnation of what used to be called categories. You can find, for example, large breasts, inverted nipples, Asian, long hair, etc. There is a redhead list, but no list of blondes or brunettes. With several hundred models on the site, blonde/brunette is probably too broad a category for a single list.

Once you find a model that strikes your fancy, take a look at her page to find what other lists she's in, and you may well find more you like. One more thing--a "site" list is compiled/chosen by the tireless AW staff, while "user" lists are made by individual members who chose to share them with other members.

HM

Comment

Search Frustration

I agree that the search capabilities of this site are not very robust and probably the greatest weakness. Most of us are used to search engines and its frustrating when one isn't available. However, having said this, there are ways to work around it and its worth it because of the rich content on this site. For example, personally, I have learned to go through the lists. Also, you can look at the front page news to get to know the models or start going directly to each model through the "Full Model Catalogue" under Content . I think the lists are the best way though. Good luck!

Comment

If you are searching for something you don't find, you may always post the request on the boards.
          There's always a kind member around who is able to help.

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman
            If you are searching for something you don't find, you may always post the request on the boards.
            There's always a kind member around who is able to help.

Lxm
            And that kind member is usually Mr Luxman with his incredible searching skills

Comment

While we're on the topic, some time ago someone -- VidDude? Willow? -- mentioned that a more robust search tool was in the works... to find that large-breasted chunky redhead of your dreams. Still in the works? Back burner? Figment of my imagination?

That pretty girl on crutches comes to mind.

Comment

I assume you mean the Advanced Search. It's already here.

Though it is a work in progress - I think we have additional plans in the works.

Comment

Omigod! I never knew about it.
                  (There's a link to it at the top of the main gallery page.)
                  So I clicked on Redhead, Rubenesque, Large-Breasts, and the AND button, and I got...
                  Bernadette, the pretty girl on crutches!!!!

Hey, Counterspy! Tell me any site anywhere that has a better search engine! This thing's incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by arsby
                    Omigod! I never knew about it.
                    Hey, Counterspy! Tell me any site anywhere that has a better search engine! This thing's incredible!
                    Only thing missing is some way to search user-created list, either on title or on description. There are thousands of lists and sometimes I find out about via looking at a model and then browse the entire list. That's probably the best way to find out about them 'cos they already likely match your prefs... but still some search capability for non-site-sponsored lists would be nice.

Custom-search in Opera are very handy btw. I happen to have a custom-search called 'aw' and guess what.. highlight a model's name and select Search->AW and there we gooo

Comment

*** Rant warning

Well, the search capability is, to me, the weakest link of the messageboard. My question is why oh why won't it allow you to do binary searches???? Hell, I'd take SQL queries if it'd let you DO it. (No, update or delete capability of course! )

Actually, I know you can search the board via Google and that's what I do.

As far as searching on the main site user lists. Yes, that is a need but you gotta give willow and co. a bit of a break, the lists haven't been up that long and they did a hell of a job in devolping the list capability. Their plate is ALWAYS full so I can't bitch too much about that.

</Rant> alleyes

Comment

Could someone answer my question?
                        Is there another site with better search capabilities than here?

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW
                          Only thing missing is some way to search user-created list, either on title or on description. There are thousands of lists and sometimes I find out about via looking at a model and then browse the entire list. That's probably the best way to find out about them 'cos they already likely match your prefs... but still some search capability for non-site-sponsored lists would be nice.

Custom-search in Opera are very handy btw. I happen to have a custom-search called 'aw' and guess what.. highlight a model's name and select Search->AW and there we gooo
                          I agree totally on point #1 and will try #2 when my higher (than dialup) speed internet comes back. Seems Wildblue is suffering a great outage so I deal again with dialup.

Comment

Originally posted by arsby
                            Could someone answer my question?
                            Is there another site with better search capabilities than here?
                            Better ...? I don't know, but there are search engines that give you parameters which Abby doesn't (for instance, cup size)

Looking at the title of this thread in another way, my "search frustration" for a website the featured beautiful young women and had heaps of respect for those women ended when I found abbywinters.com

Comment

Well, what a pleasant surprise to see all these nice and helpful answers to my ill-tempered rant (question). I think I'm still not going to have an easy time searching for my weird, personal quirks on this site, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. The girls on this site are incredible, and it looks like the members are great, too. Thanks to all who replied so nicely.

*CounterSpy*

Comment

Originally posted by CounterSpy
                                ...I think I'm still not going to have an easy time searching for my weird, personal quirks on this site...
                                Well yes you will if you go about it the old-fashioned way and ask.

Don't worry that your quirks are too weird. The worst that can happen if you ask is that we'll snicker and point at you behind your back. Just kidding! Anyhow, we're all anonymous here and you of all people should know how to maintain your own anonymity, maybe your friends in the CIA/MI5 can give you some pointers.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                Working...
                                X