Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-L-O-W-W-W Downloads

Hello,

I've been on your site for a few months now...I think I bought the 6-month membership...and while I like the content, I'm not very happy with the download speeds. Here's my description of the problem:

I have a DSL line...and downloads on most web sites are fairly consistent...but I've run into a lot of inconsistency on the AbbyWinters site. When things are going OK, I know to expect downloads at approximately 145 to 150 KB speed. That's typical for me on various downloading sites *and* on Abby Winters. But fairly often, I'll come here to Abby Winters and try to download a .MPG file and find the download speed won't exceed 52 KB speed. Later, a few hours later, I can come back and try that same file again and the speed will often be back up to around 145 to 150 KB.

OK...so I know that internet speeds vary. And I know that you can't expect the same download speeds every time. But my feeling is that there's something not right with the Abby Winters server. This afternoon, after being frustrated with trying to download a 152.6MB file at the slowwww speed of 52.7 Kb, I decided to jump over to some other download sites, just to see what would happen. I know what to expect on these other sites, and (as usual) they were running at the speeds I've come to expect. I then came back to Abby Winters and everything was slowed way down again.

I'm on a Macintosh, but I know that's not the problem. Otherwise I'd be having slow speeds on other sites too...and I'd have slow speeds on Abby Winters all the time...but that's not the case. And...the problem occurs whether I'm using the Safari browser or the Firebox browser. Same problem.

Another problem I've experienced is that fairly often I have to endure long long long waits (maybe up to a minute or more) to switch from one page to another on the Abby Winters site.

Anyone there have any comments or helpful ideas about this? Thanks.

*CounterSpy*

Download speeds are beyond our control. Whatever is causing it for you, probably isn't causing the same problem for others. Therefore there's nothing for us to 'fix'. Here's our FAQ that covers this.

Comment

You could try a download manager or a tool like DownThemAll to download the files in chunks concurrently. Whilst this doesn't solve your problem of slow speeds, it is an effective way to get around the issue by speeding up the overall download speed.

Comment

Ummmmmm...OK

Thanks for your response(s). I've read through your "How Come It's Slow To Download From Your Site" stuff, and I'm happy I do so.

While there are truths in what you have there, I have to say that I've never seen anyone go such contortionist lengths to "prove" that nothing is their fault. Pretty funny.

After wading through a couple of abysmally slow downloads on your site this morning...download speeds ranging between 36kb and 72kb, I decided to take you up on the advice in your "article" and headed over to "ISHOTMYSELF.COM" as a comparison...as you had suggested.

I've been a member at that site twice, so I had some familiarity...and was happy to see it's still a cool site. I navigated through the "tour" and found three "relatively large" files I could download. A Zip file and two separate video files.

Guess what. I downloaded all three and was not really surprised to watch as all three files downloaded at a nice speed...ranging between 142kb and 150kb.

I came back here to AbbyWinters, and I'm currently watching as a Zip files downloads at a glacial pace of 36kb.

ISHOTMYSELF is fast. ABBYWINTERS is slow. In your "article" you say that in a situation like this, "there's a good chance there is a problem on abbywinters.com itself."

What say ye now?

*CounterSpy*

Comment

I say please fill in this form, and we'll endeavour to assist you.

Comment

Originally posted by CounterSpy View Post
            Hello,

I've been on your site for a few months now...I think I bought the 6-month membership...and while I like the content, I'm not very happy with the download speeds. Here's my description of the problem:

I have a DSL line...and downloads on most web sites are fairly consistent...but I've run into a lot of inconsistency on the AbbyWinters site. When things are going OK, I know to expect downloads at approximately 145 to 150 KB speed. That's typical for me on various downloading sites *and* on Abby Winters. But fairly often, I'll come here to Abby Winters and try to download a .MPG file and find the download speed won't exceed 52 KB speed. Later, a few hours later, I can come back and try that same file again and the speed will often be back up to around 145 to 150 KB.

OK...so I know that internet speeds vary. And I know that you can't expect the same download speeds every time. But my feeling is that there's something not right with the Abby Winters server. This afternoon, after being frustrated with trying to download a 152.6MB file at the slowwww speed of 52.7 Kb, I decided to jump over to some other download sites, just to see what would happen. I know what to expect on these other sites, and (as usual) they were running at the speeds I've come to expect. I then came back to Abby Winters and everything was slowed way down again.

I'm on a Macintosh, but I know that's not the problem. Otherwise I'd be having slow speeds on other sites too...and I'd have slow speeds on Abby Winters all the time...but that's not the case. And...the problem occurs whether I'm using the Safari browser or the Firebox browser. Same problem.

Another problem I've experienced is that fairly often I have to endure long long long waits (maybe up to a minute or more) to switch from one page to another on the Abby Winters site.

Anyone there have any comments or helpful ideas about this? Thanks.

*CounterSpy*
            I'm on a cable modem, and I just bought a new hi-speed router for the house. When I download from AW, I consistently get DL speeds of over 1000 kb/s, sometimes as high as 1500+ so I don't believe there's a problem with their server. (Home location is upstate NY, USA)

Comment

yah, alexbee's expereince is quite common.

It's all about the peering, your ISP to our ISP.

CounterSpy, we were having some server issues when you did your test with ISM - are you still seeing this difference between ISM and AW?

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
              Working...
              X