Vista anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista anyone ?

I am in the process of redeemimg my Vista Upgrade Voucher. When I get the software I will not be in hurry to download it because I am more than happy with XP pro SP2 which I've for this past month. Just wondered if anyone out there is in the same boat. I gather that once it's installed, there's no going back. Now that presents a serious problem. Do I or don't I It's typical of Microsoft who sometimes act like the press gangs of old who got you on board tied and gagged with no hope of escape for years until you're back in a home port. I wonder if there will be a time limit imposed for installation Will be reluctant to install until SP 1 comes out.
    JJ

Hi JJ,

Going back is always an option (if you take a disk image before doing the install).

I saw a paper that had 10 reasons for upgrading and 10 reasons not to. The not to list seemed to make more sense.

One interesting note is the content protection they built into Vista. Almost all outputs are disabled when playing protected media. Kind of defeats the idea of using your PC connected to your home audio system.

Also, when upgrading to XP from 98 or ME the best path was a reinstall rather than an upgrade in place. Not sure but that might be a good plan for Vista as well. You never know what is lurking around that is not compatible.

.02 from daSpud

Comment

Perhaps Linux has an opening as a media platform. Microsoft and Apple may be dropping the ball on this one.

Comment

Here are links to two articles about why or why not to get Vista. Not sure if they're the same ones BigSpud saw.

I'll list the 'Not Get' link first since that's the way I'm leaning.

http://apcmag.com/5049/10_reasons_not_to_get_vista

Here's the 'Get' link

http://apcmag.com/5082/10_reasons_you_should_get_vista

Comment

If you are thinking of upgrading your PC in the near future, then you will have VISTA installed.

But there are alternatives:

HERE and HERE

I have a beta version of VISTA but none of my PCs would run it very well because it needs a very high spec machine. I am sure it's more about selling computers and forcing hardware upgrades than a good user experience.
          And the whole DRM thing just astonishes me.

Comment

Reason 10 to get VISTA is :

10. Face it, you have no choice
            When Microsoft brings out a major renovation to Windows, you can choose to ignore it for a year or two, but then the device drivers start drying up for older versions of Windows, your friends start asking questions about their new PC that you can't answer, and even if you use Linux, you'll inevitably need familiarity with Microsoft's latest interoperability blockers. Face it: your arse belongs to Redmond.

Thats some selling point!

Comment

May be but it's the truth. I've already stated that I'm staying with XP. But frankly, the inevitable is true I'm afraid in the long run. Microsoft is planning a roleout of Service Pack 3 for XP in 2008. This is supposed to be another major one like SP2 was. If I was a betting man, I'd say that it will have DRM loaded to the hilt. (And of course, other reasons why you have to use it, like continued security support). It sucks I know.

But no kudos to Apple. Their going down the same road as Microsoft. Their OWN DRM. What do I do when I need a repair to an Apple. Send it somewhere?? I've got people all over town where I live that know windows inside and out. Need hardware? I don't even think about availabitlity. Software? Never a problem. Find a Microsoft Outlook equivilant on the Mac. It's not there. Point made.

But I might be interested in Linux in for a media platform someday.

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                I am in the process of redeemimg my Vista Upgrade Voucher. When I get the software I will not be in hurry to download it because I am more than happy with XP pro SP2 which I've for this past month. Just wondered if anyone out there is in the same boat. I gather that once it's installed, there's no going back. Now that presents a serious problem. Do I or don't I It's typical of Microsoft who sometimes act like the press gangs of old who got you on board tied and gagged with no hope of escape for years until you're back in a home port. I wonder if there will be a time limit imposed for installation Will be reluctant to install until SP 1 comes out.
                JJ
                The key you get should work indefinitly, just for a single system install. WHEN you install/use it doesn't matter.
                Those voucher didn't get made because Microsoft likes you (the customer) so much you know. They got made and sold 'cos Microsoft wasn't able to put a sellable Vista into the shops in time

You didn't post your system specs so it's kinda hard to judge if you can properly run Vista. You are correct in that you cannot uninstall Vista to roll-back to XP. You would either need to make your system multi-boot or make a disk image and be SURE you don't store any new or changed data on said system disk after installing vista

You have to ask yourself WHY you want to upgrade though, what do you expect to get ? Do you play games, play hd-dvd/blueray-dvd on a big screen ??

If at all possible I would wait at least until two months after Vista-SP1 is out (that gets the bugs out nicely). Also be aware that a number of products like virus-scanners and firewalls/security-stuff will need to upgrade a mayor version in order to work on Vista. Not all upgrade policies cover such mayor-release upgrades (for free anyway).

You might want to read Sticking with Windows XP in a Windows Vista World ore the entire Vista review on that site (which is extensive); http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista.asp

Comment

I tend to find that 95% of the features of any kind of upgrade are things I don't care about. They tend to tout some things as being 'easier, faster, more intuitive' but if it doesn't fit my usual workflow, which inevitably it doesn't, it's just a hassle. Vista looks to be no different.

Comment

XP does the job. Vista wont be ready for ages anyway - i.e. bugs, drivers, antivirus etc.

I'll be sticking with XP for a couple of years yet. Hell I had Windows 98se until mid 2005.

My advice is to stick with XP until there are no questions about drivers and program compatibility and also when the price comes down coz frankly, the australian RRP is a bloody rip-off at the moment.

Comment

I've been trying the beta and the RC1 of Vista for a few months. I had to add lots of memory into a machine in order to run it, as I wasn't going to let it near any serious work of mine.

It's trying to be all things to all types of users. Its User Account Control is about the most frustrating thing I've seen. That was, no doubt, trying to impress the corporate users. They make it very hard to turn off, although you do find the way, in the end! The Aero look seems pointless to me, but no doubt there are those who are turned on by the cuteness of the interface. I just reset it to Classic -- although that now exists in two flavours, one for the XP look, and the other for W98.

I'm going to have to upgrade one machine from the test versions to run it, as I need to get other software to work with it, but I shall keep my own main machines in XP. At least the NTFS is workable from either XP or Vista if you want to dual boot (and it does that pretty well), but you'll have to steer clear of the BitLocker Drive Encryption if you want to make it possible to handle your Vista partitions from XP.

Comment

I just bought a laptop for school at the start of the year and they'll send me Vista to install. I'm going to just toss it in the drawer. I'm hoping my next machine will be a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDimple View Post
                          I'm hoping my next machine will be a Mac.
                          My current one is, and my next one definitely will be too. As is the laptop my wife just bought herself.

takochan

Comment

I switched to Mac about a year ago, never looked back.
                            I have an XP laptop which I will replace when funds allow.
                            And my iMac dual boots OS X and XP Home, and I run XP in Parallels.
                            The old PC has beta VISTA on it, but I plan, when time allows, to put Linux on it.

Comment

came across this and I just have to share it:

Comment

Hi everyone. What a response My suspicions have been well founded reading all the comments. I'm going to register for upgrade, get the software (because I had to pay for it when I purchased this new PC), put it in the back of a drawer and see what the future brings. I consider myself fortunate because I've got a new PC with XP Pro SP2 installed, unlike those souls who buy a new PC in the very near future who'll have Vista installed automatically, unless they're tech savy and aware of the trap. Anyone who decided to wait for Vista before buying their replacement PC, as manufacturers predicted, are going to be disappointed unless they're coming from Windows 95 .
                                JJ

Comment

Vista and DRM Articles

Hi Ya'll,
                                  Just thought I might post a couple of links I thought were pretty good. Both from Computerworld. The first is a review of Vista and points concerning it. The second is probably the most thorough and understandable article I've seen on DRM to date. Specifically, it's about the DRM in Vista.

The Vista link:

The Vista DRM Link:

Alleyes

Comment

My copy of VISTA is on order, should arrive any day, so I will let you all know how my "upgrade" goes.
                                    Get a good back up first I think!

Comment

What made you decide to go to Vista this early?

Comment

Hi VD. The Vista upgrade package came with the new PC I've recently purchased. Problem is Dell are finding all sorts of excuses why they can't deliver the software. Their excuse is that their Vistaupgrade website is suffering problems (has been for 3 weeks now) and doesn't recognise my PC. After reading many reviews I can't see me loading it (if it's delivered), just want it because I've paid for it. I'm more than happy with XP Pro SP2, which is a massive improvement on ME. Think I might miss Media Centre because I qualify for Vista Business
                                        J/J

Comment

VISTA this early? I work in tech support so I don't really have much choice!

Comment

I learned yesterday that Vista is an abbreviation:

Virus Inside, Switch To Apple

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman View Post

Lxm
                                              Wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman View Post

Lxm
                                                LOL good one.

Comment

The Register, the irreverant but well-respected British tech website, ("Biting the hand that feeds IT"), came out with an AWFUL review of Vista.
                                                  Bottom line: some of the new functions are cool, some are appreciated but years late, but the real problem is with your peripherals, many of which won't work properly.

Here's the last paragraph:
                                                  So, there's our first look at Vista. It does benefit from a lot of good ideas, many of them Apple's, of course, but good nevertheless. It simply doesn't work very well, unfortunately. There are serious problems with execution; it's not polished; it's not ready. It should not be on the market, and certainly not for the outrageous prices being charged. Don't buy it, at least until after the first service pack is out. Don't pay to be a beta tester.

Note that by "outrageous prices" he's talking about the ones charged in Europe, which are much much higher than those changed in the US.

Comment

Hi Arsby. I agree with The Register - it's just not ready !!!! Waiting for my Vista Upgrade to be delivered (now that was a waste of money paying shipping charges) but not going to install it until I'm sure all the glitches have been ironed out. An unsuspecting friend has just installed it only to discover that his desktop is inadequate for its ravenous demands. In essence, he is no better off than he was before with XP, unless he buys a new desktop.

Comment

I hear that people are so pissed-off with Vista and the way it is being shoved down our throats that there may be a mass migration to Apple.

Comment

Vista: Absu-fcukingly-pointless as an upgrade.

Offers SFA over XP + I don't understand why people would even consider it, given that all but the newest processor/RAM/GC-monsters can adequately handle it (esp.. 'Aero').

Pointless. Next time I buy a new machine, it'll come with Vista on it anyway for next to no cost as it'll be OEM.
                                                        So why torture yourself with buying that hideously expensive, buggy nightmare that won't run properly on older machines anyway?

It's all quite bizarre really.

Comment

Hi Bondii. We have come to the conclusion that know one knows what sort of a machine is needed to run Vista. Retailers are hyping it up to sell new machines, conning the unwary with exagerated claims about the suitability of the cheapest machines capabilities to run Vista. It's all going to end in tears for a lot of frustrated punters. We have witnessed these exagerated claims today, listening to salesmen downright lying about what the these cheap off-the peg machines can do. We challenged one about the graphics card needed for Aero, who didn't know what was installed and that it was a minor consideration !!!
                                                          J/J

Comment

Save $140.00 on Vista:

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X