download problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

download problem

This is probably not at your end because I guess if it was someone would be asking questions long before me, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any theories about why my download speed has dropped by about 80% since yesterday. The problem is a bit complicated so please bear with me. My normal download speed is around 174 KB/sec. However, currently I am downloading Ainslee's IM at only 31KB/sec. My service provider says I have a 1500 kbps connection. My little connection icom says it's running at 54 Mbps.

For several months I have been using Leechget and, with it, I noticed at the start that downloading zipped packages of stills was slightly problematic. If I checked lots of images on page 1, it took several minutes for the download screen to appear. After page one, that didn't happen anymore - the download screen appeared quickly. I got round this by downloading only one image first. With only one image, the download screen appeared quickly and then I could check the rest of the images on page one and have no problem through to the end of that series. Videos didn't have this problem - they always dowloaded immediately.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that this no longer worked. With every page, suddenly it took several minutes for the download page to appear. The movies still downloaded normally. When this problem didn't clear up, I thought it was perhaps the download manager at fault so, yesterday, I uninstalled it. Now all downloads - stills and videos - are happening at 30 - 34 KB/sec. This is down from 174 KB/sec of a couple of days ago.

Does anyone have any suggestion of what might be wrong? I have checked to see I'm not over my download limit. Best wishes Helier

Okay, it now seems its definitely not a problem with AW. I just tried to download Dan Elwell's Broadband speed test and it downloaded at 26 KB/sec. I couldn't install that download because it said my computer hadn't got Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 runtime files installed. When I followed the instructions and tried to install these, I got a message saying there was a cabinet extaction fault (or something like that) and it had to close the program. I'm not having a good day. I did try another speed test though (one recommended by Luxman) and this said my connection was running at 1033 kbps. Anyone got any suggestions?
    Last edited by helier; 19 March 2007, 03:11 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by helier View Post
      This is probably not at your end because I guess if it was someone would be asking questions long before me, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any theories about why my download speed has dropped by about 80% since yesterday. The problem is a bit complicated so please bear with me. My normal download speed is around 174 KB/sec. However, currently I am downloading Ainslee's IM at only 31KB/sec. My service provider says I have a 1500 kbps connection. My little connection icom says it's running at 54 Mbps.
      54Mbps you are clearly using a wireless ADSL router. In which case 54Mbps is the speed from you computer to the modem/router. Your computer will NEVER know the real speed of the ADSL connection, you can only find that by getting into your router/modem settings, where you should see the 1500Kbps on the line.

It is very hard to work out what is/should be a normal download speed there are so many variables. One you will find is even with a 1.5Mbps connection that is only to your local exchange. In there there is a device which will multiplexe yours and everyone elses connection into one stream. So you might have 250 people with a 1.5Mbs all sharing a say a 100Mbs, do the maths. The same can happen anywhere in the network. So speed can and will vary, it becomes a problem if it happens too often or you don't think you are getting the value you are paying for.

Comment

You should try http://speedtest.net/ and try the test with different servers.
        I found that it's results are always pretty interesting and showing up problems in your connection to different regions.

Lxm

Comment

Many thanks to Luxman and Jimmy. I've never had any idea what that 54Mbps referred to so that's good to know. Today I tried re-installing Leechget and immediately I'm back to normal speed again. No idea what that means but, for the moment anyway, the problem is solved. Thanks for taking the time. I will try the speedtest thing.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
          Working...
          X