CHECK ALL ON LIST doesnt seem to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHECK ALL ON LIST doesnt seem to work

Example: pulled up a list that had 2821 entries. Selected CHECK ALL ON LIST, 1/2 minute later, screen flash and all that I can see on first page(50 items) are checked. Selected DOWNLOAD CUSTOM ZIP and I get a zipfile with 280 items?!?!?

This is apporx 10% of total.

What is going on?

thanks,

BTW, I tried it again on got 293 of 2821 items.

Seems to be a timing issues, diff amount each time, both samples had approx 10% of total.

Comment

That's fun, you can click several times on 'check all on list' and it actually adds more items. Up to a limit and then it pops up a message box. The latter is expected behaviour, you're not supposed to download the entire site via a HUGE list Well, that's on Opera9 anyway.

I used 'Nude & Clothed' list for testing, which is quite big.

I don't think the system is build for such HUGE lists though (seem to recall a performance/speed problem some time ago due to such huge lists). I wonder if there is a limit on string lengths in javascript, the add-all-from-list-zip passes a lot of numbers to a function .. Can't crossref those numbers to pictures so not entirely sure what's happening there.

IE7 is even stranger compared to Opera9, if I press 'add all from list' once the total size of the zip is calculated as 10Mb. Press it again and it's 8Mb, press it again for 10Mb and so on..

'Add All from List' cheats btw. It does add the pictures on the current page, but if the list is big it will not add pictures from either previous or next page I.e. on page 14 click 'add ALL from list', all items on page 14 will be checked, now select page 13 and behold... not items checked... odd.
      Last edited by Frans; 30 March 2007, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks, but I am not sure if you are explaining, complaining, or excusing.

The fact of the matter is that it does not work.

This site routinely puts up videos that are 100[S] of MB, a 100 MB of jpgs zipped isnt any different.

Comment

em1315, I am pretty sure this is the correct operation, as we don't want people donoading 600Mb files from us accidentally. Lists are made from a collection of links to individual files that one person has assembled, not stored as zips like all the pics from one shoot are. That means the zip must be custom made each time one person selects items. We have a lot of members making a lot of custom zips at once, and we have tens of thousands of lists, so there's billions of possible combinations of custom zips.

However, I cannot say for sure... it's the weekend here, and the coding guys are taking a well-deserved rest. They will be in on Monday and able to provide the facts of the situation for you.

Comment

Originally posted by em1315 View Post
            The fact of the matter is that it does not work.
            True, it works a bit wonky.

Abby, this is not about hitting the 'zip too big' limit.. that gives a proper warning box (works as designed). This is the 'add all from list to zip' button working not as it should on large lists. It does not give an message box or such, it just doesn't add 'all items' to the zip.

Nothing the coding-team can't figure out next week though

Comment

Good point frans, give me a message or a warning, no problem, at the very least behave consistently.

However, doesn't make musch sense to allow any size list, but have no practical way to review or download it. If approx 10MB is some pre-decided limit, then give us a 1st 10MB, 2nd 10mb, 3rd 10MB, etc option or limit the size of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by em1315 View Post
                However, doesn't make musch sense to allow any size list, but have no practical way to review or download it. If approx 10MB is some pre-decided limit, then give us a 1st 10MB, 2nd 10mb, 3rd 10MB, etc option or limit the size of the list.
                Most of those points are policy, which Abby can answer MUCH better than me However the limit isn't 10Mb really, it's about 450Mb (but you never get there due to some weird bug).

As for reviewing, you can do that online just fine, just browse the pages. I don't think Lists were ever intended to be downloaded as whole en-mass (how likely is it you'll view all those 2800+ images anyway?). That's not how I use them, I take them as pointers and look at who/what else is in a certain list, then go to that shoot and so on and so on...

P.S. Which list did you find that actually has 2821 items?

Comment

There is definitely a limit on the size of ZIPs you can create, though as fransAW points out, it should give a warning. We'll have a quick look at it on Monday, but I can't promise a quick fix. Thanks for pointing it out

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
                    P.S. Which list did you find that actually has 2821 items?
                    There's a member who was having trouble with one of his Lists earlier this week - it had over 5100 items !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude View Post
                      There's a member who was having trouble with one of his Lists earlier this week - it had over 5100 items !!!!!
                      Cool, the lists are really used then I would say I know there's a list which has all backstage pics with Verity in them, but I think that one was split to several smaller ones

Would be hard to really manage a list with 5000+ items I think, what good does such a list do then? Ah well... I'll stick to my tiny tiny lists of approx. 60 items each ;-)

Comment

I have only one list and it has now 598 images, it grows an average of few images per week.

I thought it might be too big, but it seems I don't have anything to worry about yet.
                        Last edited by yusanord; 1 April 2007, 07:47 PM. Reason: Double negative

Comment

The list with 2821 photos would be mine, MTI Bums.

The largest public image list that functions is Peeling Them Off, on page 18, with 3324 photos. There are two lists that are larger, one at 3336 photos, and one at 7030, but both of them exceed current site resources, and won’t function.

Photo sizes vary, but using an average of around 180 Kb per photo, the largest functioning image list has about 620 Mb of content. That is roughly equivalent to 40 minutes of video viewing time.

The Shane & Laurin videos are about 850 Mb in size, and run for 56 minutes.

For a genuine topic enthusiast, and a good list addressing the topic, it is not unreasonable to download an entire 620 Mb list with 3336 images. For comparison, there are GG video enthusiasts who regularly download files half again as large.

I can think of two practical considerations, though.

(1) GG videos are generally broken up into 10-minute segments. Shane & Laurin is in 6 segments, the largest being 220 Mb. There is probably some very good reason why video files are not larger. Whatever the reason, it probably also applies to image zip files. There is something about a 620 Mb zip file that is just too unwieldy. Plan on multiple installments of 200 Mb zips instead.

(2) Videos are an established thing. They have been around for a long time, means to transmit them have been worked out over a long time, and user download activity is predictable. Image lists are experimental and new. We don’t know how often large lists are going to be downloaded, and by who, and for what reasons. The site can’t just throw open its resources without knowing what will happen. Allow time for the list feature to mature.

Comment

At this rate we will have lists with a larger number of images than exist on the site.

Comment

Hi Willow,

Any progress?

thanks,

Comment

sorry em1315, there are a few big items above this in our priority list. Right now I can't even give you a rough ETA other than to say it will be of the order of "weeks". We will get to it and ask for your patience in the meantime.

Comment

Hi Willow,

Any progress?

thanks,

Comment

'fraid not.

Comment

Abby, please help, this problem is 2 months old now and we went from an estimate of a few weeks to no estimate at all.

I am sure that there is a lot of work to do, but lists are pretty important to managing the huge volume of data that you have, and I think they should at work properly.

thanks,
                                      e

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                      Working...
                                      X