Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No streaming flash

Hi

When I click on the new streaming flash links, I get a popup flash black flash window, but then nothing else happens. No video, nothing.

I am using Windows XP and IE 6.0. Any suggestions?

thanks

jonjon

upgrade flash to the latest version.

Comment

ooops, and upgrade to IE7.

Comment

From the other 'flash' thread....

Originally posted by Abbyhabit View Post
        I am on IE6 and also had the same problem. What i found is if you click in the black box (anywhere) then the pause symbol changes to a play symbol. Then you have to wait a short time for it to load. Its ready when there is a bar all the way across the bottom. (takes about 40 seconds on my connection) Then hit the play symbol and your off.............
        Linky to other thread here:-

Hope this helps......
        Last edited by Abbyhabit; 10 April 2007, 02:00 PM. Reason: Added the linky

Comment

Linky to other thread here:-

Hope this helps......

I have the latest version of flash (9,0,28,0), my firewall doesn't seem to be blocking anything, surely I can't be the only person running IE6. I click on the black square, the pause changes to play - then nothing.

Any more suggestions, please?

thanks

jonjon

Comment

Originally posted by jonjon View Post
            I have the latest version of flash (9,0,28,0), my firewall doesn't seem to be blocking anything, surely I can't be the only person running IE6. I click on the black square, the pause changes to play - then nothing.
            I am on IE6. Once i click on the black box i have to wait for about a minute (depends on file size and connection speed) then all of a sudden a line appears all the way accross the bottom. Then i can hit the play button and have a look see....
            Try waiting a bit longer, the line does not work its way gradually accross, so it does seem like nothing is happening.

Comment

Maybe you could try firefox? And see if it works there?
              (I mean, firefox and IE7 are REALLY better than IE6, there's no need to use that crappy old thing).

*ducks*
              -sqrt17

Comment

Originally posted by jonjon View Post
                What firewall (software) do you use? Which anti-virus scanner, if any ?

Comment

Hi jonjon and Abbyhabit. We did do extensive testing with IE6. Does this happen with *all* vids, or just some? Also, as sqrt17 suggested, it would be great if you could you try Firefox to see if you get the same problem.

For the record, IE6 use is declining, but very slowly. At the moment about 33% of our traffic is IE6.

Comment

I had the same problem but when I turned off norton they worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Dave View Post
                      I had the same problem but when I turned off norton they worked fine.
                      Prolly Ad-Blocking, did you try to put abbywinters.com in the 'allow always' list or whatever Norton calls it these days? I suppose you don't want to turn Norton of all the time ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
                        Prolly Ad-Blocking, did you try to put abbywinters.com in the 'allow always' list or whatever Norton calls it these days? I suppose you don't want to turn Norton of all the time ;-)
                        I have tried that but it's more than just the add blocker or firewall. The net security has to be turned off for it to work. It’s nothing major for me since I download the vids rather than stream.

Comment

Hey guys, Darth Dave wins the prize.
                          I switched off Norton and the flash player worked perfectly on ie6.
                          Not only that, the image quality was MUCH better.

I would upgrade to ie7 but my windows copy is not *ahem* entirely registered to me.

Comment

Originally posted by willow View Post
                            Hi jonjon and Abbyhabit. We did do extensive testing with IE6. Does this happen with *all* vids, or just some? Also, as sqrt17 suggested, it would be great if you could you try Firefox to see if you get the same problem.
                            Hey willow, yes this problem has been on every vid i have tried so far. See prevoius post however and it appears to be a Norton/ie6 problem. Switch Norton off and it works perfectly.
                            Now, heres a funny thing, i tried with Firefox and it didn't work at all. With or without Norton. Hey ho.......

Comment

Hey willow, yes this problem has been on every vid i have tried so far. See prevoius post however and it appears to be a Norton/ie6 problem. Switch Norton off and it works perfectly.
                              Thanks Abbyhabit. Good to know

Now, heres a funny thing, i tried with Firefox and it didn't work at all. With or without Norton. Hey ho.......
                              Check the version of your flash plugin in Firefox. IE6 stinks, so if you are *ahem* unable to use IE7, you should really be using Firefox (IMNSHO of course ).

Cheers,
                              Willow

Comment

Ok, I have found that if I switch of Norton completely (listing AW as safe in adblocker doesn't do it), and wait long enough (i.e. 60 seconds plus, sometimes as long as 2 mins) I eventually get a flash stream. But given the amount of time I have to wait, and the risk of no Internet Protection, it just doesn't seem worth the effort. Guess I'll stick to regular downloads.

thanks for trying

jonjon

Comment

I had the same problem - when i click the flash video link a black box opens but nothing else plays. I use IE 7 and have Norton 2006. If I disable Norton entirely, it works, and even if I just disable the firewall in Norton, it works. I tried messing with my firewall settings a little bit, but no luck. I don't really know much about it - do you guys have any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by maxp179 View Post
                                    I had the same problem - when i click the flash video link a black box opens but nothing else plays. I use IE 7 and have Norton 2006. If I disable Norton entirely, it works, and even if I just disable the firewall in Norton, it works. I tried messing with my firewall settings a little bit, but no luck. I don't really know much about it - do you guys have any suggestions?
                                    There appears to be a consistent problem viewing the Flash movies and users having Norton/Symantec software installed. You might want to log a call with Symantec Support.

Originally posted by Adobe Support
                                    Internet utilities blocking ActiveX
                                    Some Internet utilities, such as Norton Internet Utilities, perform functions similar to a firewall and may restrict viewing of ActiveX controls. You need to ensure that your firewall or utility settings are set to allow ActiveX controls or you can't view Flash movies in Internet Explorer.
                                    Appearantly Flash player uses ActiveX when using IE6 or IE7. So you'll need to avoid ad-blocking for AW.com and ActiveX blocking.

Can you view YouTube movies properly? If not, try their troouble-shooter: http://www.google.com/support/youtub...ubmit=Continue

Norton is listed as possible interfering with the install of Flash Player (esp. v9 of it, which uses new Vista compatible stuff), so you might have to re-install the Flash Player. Info of how to do that here: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157 , well that's the uninstall which is hardest. The install is simple after that (and a reboot prolly).

Now I wont rant about Norton Internet Security too much, but it's rather sad they're listed so much as trouble-cause in technotes Switching to another security tool likely will solve your problem.

Comment

Youtube still works fine for me, it always has. This is the first time I can remember I've consistently had trouble streaming video or audio. I uninstalled and re-installed flash player and that didn't help. Like some other people, I mostly download stuff and just delete what I don't want, so it's no big deal. But thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Our members get so many problems caused by over zealous security programs, we can now add flash problems to the list, along with cookie blocking on auto logins!

maxp179, have you tried a different browser? Firefox is nice! I also use Opera a lot of the time. That may fix the problem.

However this looks like a Symantec problem so talk to their help desk. If you get anywhere perhaps you would like to post the info back here to help others?

Comment

jonjon, keep in mind that NIS (and similar apps) are about 85 - 90% placebo. Using a regular router (most ADSL modems include these features) and doing NAT is a lot more effective, and less annoying.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                          Working...
                                          X