Please keep the camera level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please keep the camera level

If I may share one of my greatest annoyances, it's otherwise beautiful shots which were made with the camera on an angle other than horizontal or vertical. I get seasick looking at pictures tilting this way and that. Either the photographer was careless or had to turn the camera to fit the model diagonally into the frame. Why can't photographers just step back a little or zoom out enough to fit the model?

Originally posted by natureboy View Post
    If I may share one of my greatest annoyances, it's otherwise beautiful shots which were made with the camera on an angle other than horizontal or vertical. I get seasick looking at pictures tilting this way and that. Either the photographer was careless or had to turn the camera to fit the model diagonally into the frame. Why can't photographers just step back a little or zoom out enough to fit the model?
    There was another discussion about this a couple of months ago.
    Here's Abby's take on it.

Comment

Originally posted by arsby View Post
      There was another discussion about this a couple of months ago.
      Here's Abby's take on it.
      Yeah, but the original poster mentioned "photographer" and "pictures" which seems to indicate a remark regarding stills?

Comment

same principle applies.

Comment

I get that you want to devote as many pixels as possible to the model, and few to the background. I really do understand the motive. But I still don't like the effect.

I can rotate an image in my software to make it upright, but then there are big dark corners where the edges of the original image was.

"Dutching" or "French tilting" might have been necessary back when digital images were very low resolution, but with today's high-res imaging the trade-off is different. It doesn't hurt to waste a few pixels on the background. If anybody really wants the model diagonally on their screen then they can rotate the image and then crop away the extra background.

It's aways easier to crop off than to reinstate that which is missing.

Comment

hellow everybody;
            in the use of the worrier camera;
            if one takes an oblique view of a model, wih progressive swing, through(90, 180, 260 ,360,)dreegs
            the modle will be parallel to the film, and show vanishing points,
            in a small space, lenses have a range of translational and rotational movermant,(and they have there draw back)
            that are fitted to small to medium-format ,camers , that are confined to photographing in small places,
            visible light has a wave length, it is up to the worrier camera to capture it;
            if one wants perfection all the time use the camers on the hubble telecope,
            keeping in mind we are but amateur aw tourists;

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
            Working...
            X