Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon D100 is on the street

Abby,

The Nikon D100 6 megapixel digital SLR is on the street at $2000 US.

I am definitely in the market for this one. Do you know anyone who is using one yet?

SlipJig

Hiya SJ

Nope, I don't know anyone, but the forums on www.dpreview.com would be the best place to look for reports.

a

Comment

Hi Abby,

I read that review ( I like that site ) and a few others that seem to confirm (though the D100 is just now coming out) that it's worth buying.

I am looking to pick one up, and I'll let you know what I think once I get going.

SJ

Comment

Finally ordered the D100 img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/proud.gif , and I'm dying to get my hands on it.

They're backordered, so I'll have to wait about 4 weeks. img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/sad.gif

I also picked up a Sigma 20mm 1.8, to add to the Nikkor 2.8 35-70mm zoom lens that I have. Only bummer about the Sigma is that the filter size is 82mm, so I had to pop some serious bucks for the UV and Polarizing filters.

I shot a roll of film (sigh) with a local woman who says she's happy to pose for nudes with me. If I get anything decent, I'll pass one or two on...

It's hot as hell up here - 95 degrees and high humidity. I wish I were enjoying the Oz wnter!

Sweating,

SJ

Comment

Hi Abby,

You're using the Canon D30, right? I think that's a 3 megapixel unit, isn't it? What are the files sizes that you're using for the AW.com content? The images are great! And what are you using for storage on the camera. I bought a couple of small memory cards, but I have a feeling that will need a 1 gig eventually.

Thanks for your help

SlipJig

Comment

Hiya Slippy

I used to use a d30, but it died after 50,000 frames, so I bought a Canon 1D, and I love it.

I used the 1D in it's Large, Fine mode, whihc gives the best quality pics without resotring to it's RAW mode. Files range from 1.5 to 2.5Mb. It's a 4.4mp sensor, which is about double what I need. I have far more megapixels than I need, and storage is becomming a problem.

I have several IBM microdrives that I use for storage, that I rotate regularly. It's only GG shoots that fill up more than one MD - most shoots, I fill a drive to about 75% or so (thop, depends on the model, and location - a busier location, like in a park where there are trees and grass (ie, lots of detail), will fill up a MD much faster than a shoot in a plain location.

There has been a lot written about MD's, mostly about how unreliable they are, but I have only had one small problem, and it was my own fault (removed card while cam was writing! Dumb!) I lost most of a shoot because of that, corrupted data.

If you handle MD's carefully, you should not have a problem.

a

Comment

Hi Abby,

Thanks for writing.

I'm suprised that the files you're shooting are so small. The quality is excellent, and the images are large. I sometimes have enlargements made up to 20"x24",and I was thinking that I would need to generate RAW files along the lines of 20 meg to get good results.

As it turns out, the D100 is shipping earlier than promised, and I should have it by midweek. I'll tinker around with it and see what I see.

Thanks for the input on the MDs. I may end up with one before long. I got a deal on a couple of small cards - 64 and 128, and I thought I'd play around with it for awhile, and depending on what size files I was generating pick the right size card from there. I assume you're using the 1 gig size...

Thanks Again,

SlipJig

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
              Working...
              X