changing filenaming structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing filenaming structure

Our method of naming files has been the same since we started, but we have changed it as necessary. It's woefully unable to keep up with what we're doing now, so we're looking at changing it. Here's our proposal. It's not set in stone, but we're pretty sold on it.

Let us know what you think.

http://www.abbywinters.com/filenames.php

Does this apply to only new releases, or will the entire back catalogue be renamed as well?

Comment

Love it. Pretty much for the reason you've outlined. At least now, the model's name appears first consistently, which simplifies filing and searching. Off top of my head, '+' seems a bit of a risky proposition inside a filename, and I wouldn't be shocked that it wreaks havoc with a file explorer or two (I'd have to test to be sure), but other than that you get nothing but thumbs up from me.

Well, this whole site gets almost nothing but thumbs up from me, but you get the idea.

Comment

As long as I am not double downloading (going back into archives) files that we already have as a naming structure provided by the original source, makes sense to me.
        In otherwords I think it would only be an issue if it were to be introduced through the archives

Cheers,

rt...

Comment

Originally posted by Randomthoughts View Post
          As long as I am not double downloading (going back into archives) files that we already have as a naming structure provided by the original source, makes sense to me.
          In otherwords I think it would only be an issue if it were to be introduced through the archives

Cheers,

rt...
          Ditto. At the moment, I've found the best of way of indexing is to follow the existing system, by filing all those beginning with, d (deviations), g (girl-girl), m (mezzanine) etc together, though a lot of the girl-girl ones are inconsistent in this respect.

I agree with aj's comment about the + sign. I think that:

jane_b+mary_c.ggt3.1001.jpg

would be better named as

jane_b.mary_c.ggt3.1001.jpg or

janeb_maryc.ggt3.1001.jpg

Comment

Looks fine to me, I can't see any harm changing the file naming system.

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
              Does this apply to only new releases, or will the entire back catalogue be renamed as well?
              Sorry, shoulda said. Will only apply to new releases. Will prolly do it at the same time as the site split goes up.

Comment

I tend to download clips again from the site if I want to see them, so this wont affect me much

What is the use of a 'video only' designation though? It's not different from 'solo' or 'redux'. Come to think of it, 'vo' removes that distinction, what's the point of knowing from a videofile's name there's no non-video material in that set??

Secondly; wouldn't it be easier to add additional quality letters AFTER the set-number? E.g. "mary.sol.1001xl.jpg" instead of "mary.sol.xl1001.jpg". That way more of the initial filename has the same lay-out, easier to parse.

Either way, decide if you want a dot between those quality/extra qualifiers or not:

'mary.sol.xl1001.jpg' (no dot after xl)
                'screenprint_girls.gg.hq.1001.mpg' (dot after hq, never mind that 'gg' is not a valid catagory ;-)

You'll loose the 2nd redux this way, prolly a typo, 2nd red = 3001 ? From 'practical application, video' :

Code:
                Redux	         mary.rdx.2001.mpg (or .wmv)
                Second Redux  	 mary.rdx.[B][COLOR="Red"]2001[/COLOR][/B].mpg (or .wmv)

Comment

All thread posters, this topic is now relevent again. If you have a view, go here:
                  This is a place where staff and members can post outlandish ideas on ways the site can go. Includes things like advertising and business related, plus ideas for shoot genres, site sections, special projects, and stuff like that

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                  Working...
                  X