nerds, we need you (firewire cables)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nerds, we need you (firewire cables)

We need to get some short firewire cables in this format: 4pin male to 6 pin female, that are around 180mm long.

No shops seem to sell them. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Well, that's pretty short, the usual length is about 180 cm.
    I'm not sure if I can get those but I'll give it a try.

Lxm

Comment

IEEE Cables

Hi Abby,

a quick search on the net revealed a number of suppliers. One company provides a retractable unit which may suit your short distance. 180mm is an unusually short. (abit like me really!!)

Anyway, here is the web address, check it out - http://www.expansys.com.au/n.aspx?c=45 - which shows a retractable unit 6 pin to 4 pin for $12.95. Hope this maybe helpful.

Comment

those specs again:

Firewire
        4pin male (right angle)
        to 6 pin female
        around 180mm long

Comment

I had a look at all my different cable distributors, it seems they don't exist.
          Still searching.

Lxm

Comment

I couldn't possibly imagine what the purpose would be anyway other than an extension cable for the cameras.. which begs the question why not just get a longer cable and be done with it?

Comment

we need to firmly affix a short FW cable to the cameras (and a short male to female 3.5mm, for headphones), so there is no strain ont he cables. the chassis mount point on these cameras for the firewire and headphones is nortoriously flmisy. We have six cameras, and it's broken on four of them so far (twice on one camera). The videographers are being very creful with the gear (as they always are), but AW shoots are fast paced, frenetic, and require a lot of moving around by the shooter.

But having these short cables permanantly attached to the cameras, we can make the strain point be inline male and female connectors, not the chassis of the camera.

hope that makes sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby View Post
                hope that makes sense?
                Yup, it makes.
                But I think you will need to have someone who manufactures those cables for you.
                It seems they don't exist at that size.

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Abby View Post
                  But having these short cables permanantly attached to the cameras, we can make the strain point be inline male and female connectors, not the chassis of the camera.
                  Would it be possible to rig up some sort of strain relief clamp that would support the present cables a few inches [or cm ] from the camera?

Comment

Why not use one of the cables from http://www.ntcdistributing.com/products/fwangled.htm ? They have a right angle 4 pin male to 6 pin male (so it would require an additional adapter) that's 10 in/254 mm. It's not too much extra length, and the additional adapter it would require would be another strain-relief point.

I've also found a lot of 4 pin male to 6 pin female adapters; none are right angle, though.

Otherwise it looks like you'd have to have the cables custom made, like Luxman suggested.

Comment

heyyy, nice work, thecolororange. They don't seem to have exactly what we need, but they come awful close. They also sell connectors, so worst case, we can make them. We have an email enquiriy into them, sure hope they can help us!

thanks!

Comment

here are a couple of options:
                        Firewire Depot: http://fwdepot.com/thestore/default.php
                        and
                        Newnex: http://www.newnex.com (which custom builds cables)

r72

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                        Working...
                        X