Editing at AW...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing at AW...

I know that there's another thread about editing, but I would like to know just how you edit sets her at AW. Do you batch edit from RAW, when shooting, do you use burst bracketing. How long does it take to compose a set? What kind of camera cards do you use? Do you upload strait to PC (in shoot) when shooting at HQ? I'm a photography/videography nut and I'm just curious. I've never seen this much high quality photography done in such quantity. I guess that's why I love AW!

Hiya. We shoot around 2000 frames per shoot. The shooters come back and downlaod the images to a PC, and add details to our internal PPCMS (Post Production Content Management System), where the progress of the shoot is tracked. It goes through these states:

P Waiting for upload from memory card
    SEM Waiting to be assigned an image editor
    SE Waiting to be edited
    SEM Rejected, waiting for major fixes
    SEM Waiting to be processed
    P Waiting for photographer review
    SR Waiting to be reviewed by SR
    SEM Waiting for minor fixes
    SEM Waiting to be re-processed
    SEM Waiting for upload to live server
    CA Waiting to be committed into CMS
    CA Waiting to be released on live site
    — Released on live site

P is Photographer (me, Toby, etc)
    SEM is Stills Editing Manager (Used to be penelope, but just handed off to a newbie)
    SE is stills editor (Arsby is one of them)
    SR is the stills reviewer (me)
    CA is the Content Administrator (Centaur)

We upload the raw shoot to a stills editor, who chooses the keepers. He sends us a file listing of them, and we choose the keepers from the raw set, using a handy little app Willow made for us.

The SEM runs the images thru PhotoShop to balance the colours and add the brand, I do a final approval, and they are uploaded to the site to be scheduled.

We use SanDisk Ultra 3 cards. We shoot JPG currently, but we're looking at going to RAW soon.

Comment

Wow. I had no idea it was such a complex process to get the stills from the camera to live on site. NASA could learn a thing or two from you.

Comment

Originally posted by artlover View Post
        Wow. I had no idea it was such a complex process to get the stills from the camera to live on site. NASA could learn a thing or two from you.
        Considering NASA's checklist takes 4 full (24hr) days, yeah

I do miss some loop/repeat constructs in that list btw. But I'm fairly sure they're there, after all the minor/major fixes will need to be re-reviewed for approval

The 'photographer review' event is interesting, didn't know photographers were involved after pictures had been taken. Just something I hadn't thought about yet.

Comment

Originally posted by artlover View Post
          NASA could learn a thing or two from you.
          Yeah, like putting a crew of nude female astronauts into space with AW photographer on board to capture the action

oncall

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
            Considering NASA's checklist takes 4 full (24hr) days, yeah
            Yeah, but you can't believe how long some of these 4000-image raw sets take to edit!

The 'photographer review' event is interesting, didn't know photographers were involved after pictures had been taken. Just something I hadn't thought about yet.
            I don't have any direct interaction with the photographers so I wouldn't know. Maybe it's a sort of a "lessons-learned" review, i.e., what did I (the photographer) do especially well, what could I have done better.

Comment

Originally posted by arsby View Post
              I don't have any direct interaction with the photographers so I wouldn't know. Maybe it's a sort of a "lessons-learned" review, i.e., what did I (the photographer) do especially well, what could I have done better.
              Yes, that's a big part of it, but it's also a double check to make sure the editor did not accidentally leave out any important sequences.

Comment

wow

Yeah, but you can't believe how long some of these 4000-image raw sets take to edit!

I didn't know this site was a really well oiled machine... I would imagine that 4,000 raw images would take up alot of disk space. NASA probably could learn from you guys though. They do have to take pictures of the tile on the belly of the shuttle using cameras like the ones you use but with large telephoto lenses. Then they have to downlink and process all of it then comb through every inch for irregularities that software wouldn't catch.

With that said, playboy has nothing on you guys! The magazine just doesn't have the flare that it once did. plus all of the models are starting to look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby View Post
                  Yes, that's a big part of it, but it's also a double check to make sure the editor did not accidentally leave out any important sequences.
                  Eeeeyooops!

They're watching me like a hawk!

Comment

They're watching me like a hawk!
                    Look on the bright side, if you miss something.. somebody else is supposed to catch and notice it

Comment

the reviews are a great way for us to check up on how our our work looks as a "finished product". before them, there was no way of knowing what was going up on the site next week, and i just had to wait or keep on checking the finished edits folder every day (which i dont really have time to do).
                      Reviewing my finished set has changed the way I shoot to some degree, I don't agonize over getting the model to do a million and one poses in a million stages of undress, I like to keep my shoots short(ish), and snappy which means the model doesn't get tired, plus i can pay careful attention to lighting and make sure everything looks amazing for all you good people!

...and watching like a hawk! you betcha!

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                      Working...
                      X