Flash Streams knocking me totally offline! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash Streams knocking me totally offline! :(

This problem just crept up this morning and has happened three out of three times.

I start a Flash-based video. After a minute or two, the screen goes black. I try to advance to a point later in the video, but no cigar.

Soon, I figure I have totally lost my Internet connection, only to be corrected by powering down my cable modem and restarting it!

A couple of days ago, I also lost Internet connection while surfing and regained it that way but I don't understand why these vids could be triggering that every time!

Rob

Originally posted by FloridaRob View Post
    A couple of days ago, I also lost Internet connection while surfing and regained it that way but I don't understand why these vids could be triggering that every time!
    They can't. Try downloading something big from another site (any random game demo will do), or watch movies on youtube. Then check your internet connection again.

Sounds like your modem has problems, possible overheating? Try powering down your modem, WAIT for at least 10 minutes (some cable modems hate quickly being turned on again) then plug it in again.

Overall it sounds like a local problem, not specific to this site.

Comment

Rob
      Rob, I don't believe it's the flash either.

I have had this problem before myself but noticed it happened when another program was running in the background. In my case it is the virus checker and Spysweeper doing it's thing telling me I need an upgrade and it is available.

So when that happens to me I just start over. It doesn't happen all the time just every once in awhile. And I have an Intel Duo Core 2 with 2 gig memory. (I have to have Intel because my son works there and he gets upset if I get AMD. I did once and caught hell for a month.

Comment

I had similar problems with my Netgear ADSL router, but a firmware upgrade has fixed the problem.

We have also noted that some members security software is causing problems with flash, in fact some security software causes problems with cookies, flash and CAPCHA. You should check you have the latest version of Flash, and maybe disable your security software just for a few minutes while you run a test viewing of a flash video.

But I concur with the others, I don't think flash is the disease, its the symptoms.

Comment

also, upgrading to the latest version of flash might help.

Comment

As I've explained in great detail in another thread, flash streaming from AW simply does not work for me.
            I just get a black screen. No disconnects though (which would be bizarre.)

Works perfectly fine in all/any other sites though, even those using the same 'free' plug-in AW uses.
            Huh, it's a mystery...

Comment

Originally posted by Bondii View Post
              As I've explained in great detail in another thread, flash streaming from AW simply does not work for me.
              I just get a black screen. No disconnects though (which would be bizarre.)

Works perfectly fine in all/any other sites though, even those using the same 'free' plug-in AW uses.
              Huh, it's a mystery...
              Must be some firewall/router issue locally then.

Try this:

1. download and save as file from http://flash-gold-us.abbywinters.com...56x144_30k.flv

2. Download standalone flashplayer: http://www.wimpyplayer.com/products/...lv_player.html

Start the player you've downloaded, just extract the zip and run the exe. No install needed. Now drag and drop the download flv file onto the player. Does it play?

Yes it will look very blocky and ugly because it's the lowest quality (designed to work over modems) but that's not the point. Does it play at all??

Comment

Good stuff there to try, Frans. Thanks!

As soon as I return from a trip to Boston, I'll revisit this thread and give those ideas a shot!

Rob

Comment

Thanks Frans, but flash not working on AW.com doesn't really bother me as I always download vids I'm interested in...

Still, there must be more AW users out there with the same problem...

Comment

I've had a similar problem watching videos via flash as well that seemed to start around the same time this thread started. I'll start watching the video, then it just stops and the picture freezes, but there's no black screen. It just looks like it was paused. To start it going again, I either have to start from the beginning or just move it backward or forward again, but it usually stops again quite soon after. Prior to this happening, there was never a problem. Don't know what's going on but it bothers me because I usually watch portions of the flash video to see whether or not I want to watch it using wmv. I have no idea what to do about this.

Comment

Originally posted by laktor View Post
                      I've had a similar problem watching videos via flash as well that seemed to start around the same time this thread started. I'll start watching the video, then it just stops and the picture freezes, but there's no black screen. It just looks like it was paused. To start it going again, I either have to start from the beginning or just move it backward or forward again, but it usually stops again quite soon after. Prior to this happening, there was never a problem. Don't know what's going on but it bothers me because I usually watch portions of the flash video to see whether or not I want to watch it using wmv. I have no idea what to do about this.
                      Try to select the lowest quality on the flash window (right top) dropdown. That will look horrid but goes to show the system works. Then work up and see where it stops working correctly for you. You can set that speed permanently in your myAW page. If the speed you find that way is significantly lower then the auto-determined one, AW staff might be interested (not sure how many people have flash problems)

Comment

I'll work on that advice, Frans, soon as I have a chance.

Laktor, is it totally knocking you off the Internet as it did me? Haven't had the problem last few days, although I haven't looked at too many Flash vids, either. I will admit that, perhaps related and perhaps not, I have found myself getting knocked off at other times, not even while downloading anything. Unplugging the cable modem for 45 seconds and then powering it up again usually solves the problem, probably renewed IP address or whatever.

Still, those Flash vids did it every time for a while there.

Rob

Comment

I will admit that, perhaps related and perhaps not, I have found myself getting knocked off at other times, not even while downloading anything. Unplugging the cable modem for 45 seconds and then powering it up again usually solves the problem, probably renewed IP address or whatever.
                          Sounds more like a modem overheating or possibly becoming broken. You do give it room to get rid of hot air/temp around it I hope? Older 3com modems acted verrry strange when you put them under a stack of newspapers out of sight

Comment

Gosh, Frans. It's less than a year old, provided by the cable company. I didn't even think it heats up but maybe I should call them. (At other times, I have downloaded a WMV without incident). Do the Flash streams somehow force a greater strain than downloading a WMV, for example?

Guess I'll call the cable company. (Examines the thing.) It's a Toshiba PCX2200 and it IS warm! Hmm!

P.S. The cable company is coming out, this Saturday morning, to examine my modem!
                            Last edited by FloridaRob; 11 September 2007, 06:16 PM. Reason: Added the P.S.

Comment

Guess I'll call the cable company. (Examines the thing.) It's a Toshiba PCX2200 and it IS warm! Hmm!
                              I see that's a vertical model, do you have it standing up on it's stand or lying down? Other then that the easiest route would be to call your ISP. They may well have newer firmware for it (internal modem software) that solves this problem.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                              Working...
                              X