ActiveX controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ActiveX controls

This really doesn't have to do with AW, but just wondering if it's safe to install ActiveX on your computer? I found a site that has some video of tv shows I'd like to see, but some of the viewing requires installation of ActiveX. I'm computer illiterate so I'd like some advice as whether or not this is a safe thing to do. Thanks.

Originally posted by laktor View Post
    This really doesn't have to do with AW, but just wondering if it's safe to install ActiveX on your computer? I found a site that has some video of tv shows I'd like to see, but some of the viewing requires installation of ActiveX. I'm computer illiterate so I'd like some advice as whether or not this is a safe thing to do. Thanks.
    Technically speaking, you already have ActiveX installed on your computer, because it's a part of the Windows operating system. Certain Web sites you may visit may contain ActiveX controls, which are small computer programs that provide specialized functions.

Whether to trust these controls depends upon their source, and so ActiveX asks you if you want to install a control, and shows you a certificate revealing its creator. If the control was created by a source you trust -- like Microsoft, or the host of the Web site trying to install it -- then it's probably safe to allow the control to run. If you don't recognize the source, then it would be smart to deny it.

Comment

Thanks MS, that helps me in deciding...I'll prolly deny it since I don't think it's worth the risk. Anyway, they usually have at least a couple of different viewing options and usually only one involves the ActiveX question.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
      Working...
      X