Message board ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message board ideas

This is more to the message board, itself, but potentially about the site.

There are occasions when I'd like to be able to offer thoughts about the site and/or models that I really wouldn't want the models to read. Nothing really "bad" but stuff that could be misunderstood, etc. Hard to chat knowing that most models can read anything we write. I love 'em all and am only interested in things that would benefit the site, therefore the models along with it, I'd hope.

Is there or could there be a venue for some or all subscribers to access that would be inaccessible or invisible to our dear friends, the models?

For that matter, if there isn't already, maybe there should also be a section just for the models and staff, etc.

Hate to open a "can of worms" but, well, I have this weakness for opening cans of worms!

Originally posted by FloridaRob View Post
    For that matter, if there isn't already, maybe there should also be a section just for the models and staff, etc.
    There is a section for models and staff only, you just can't see it. If ever you look at the "who's viewing" facility and a model/employee is viewing an untitled thread then you know he/she is in the secret forum!!!

Comment

Put it this way... if you were a male model participating on the boards of BarrySummers.com, and you knew there was a function where the "regular" members could say something about you without your knowing it, wouldn't you be bugging everyone you knew about what folks were saying about you? Wouldn't it bother you?

That being said, I think the only times I ever "censored" myself from posting something to the boards because a model might read it were when I preferred one model over another. I've gotten over that, I will now publish my favorites, the models are sensible enough not to care much about people's individual tastes.

I know that Abby sometimes refers to the models as "delicate little snowflakes", but my guess is that most of them are quite thick-skinned enough to take what you're holding back.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Roops View Post
        There is a section for models and staff only, you just can't see it. If ever you look at the "who's viewing" facility and a model/employee is viewing an untitled thread then you know he/she is in the secret forum!!!
        Is this when some one is viewing ''viewing thread'' i've wondered that.

Comment

I'm Sorry Rob, but I just can't seem to grasp what you would have to say about the site or the models that you wouldn't want the models to know. That is like wispering in someone's ear around a group of people. They often think, are they talking about me?

If there was a private place such as you are suggesting, don't you think the models would wonder? Are they talking about me? Did I do something wrong? Did I say something wrong or hurt someone's feelings?

The models here are sensitive and careing people, you know that, do you really want them to be asking these kind of questions?

I think if you have something to say that a model may not understand, then write the staff or Abby.

I don't mean to be hard on you Rob but I just don't think it would be fair.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaRob View Post
            This is more to the message board, itself, but potentially about the site.

There are occasions when I'd like to be able to offer thoughts about the site and/or models that I really wouldn't want the models to read. Nothing really "bad" but stuff that could be misunderstood, etc. Hard to chat knowing that most models can read anything we write. I love 'em all and am only interested in things that would benefit the site, therefore the models along with it, I'd hope.

Is there or could there be a venue for some or all subscribers to access that would be inaccessible or invisible to our dear friends, the models?

Hate to open a "can of worms" but, well, I have this weakness for opening cans of worms!
            Why don't you just send feedback to Abby?

Comment

I can say that a "members only, no models" forum will never happen here.

The models display their most private parts for you to enjoy and have a right to know what people say about them.
              In my eyes that's only fair.

If someone would like to say something that models shouldn't see, feel free to use the feedback link or simply send an email to Abby or to me.

Yes, there's already a "models only" forum that's not visible for members.

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman

Yes, there is already a models only forum that is invisible to the members.

Lxm
                You mean models and staff ? i kind of resent that,it's like not being invited to a party and gives a second class feeling because your only paying the site to keep it going
                how about a models/members forum where staff are not aloud

Comment

...the secret forum!!!
                  I like the idea of there being a Secret Forum. Kind of makes AW seem like MI5.

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman View Post
                    I can say that a "members only, no models" forum will never happen here.
                    Good

The models display their most private parts for you to enjoy and have a right to know what people say about them.
                    In my eyes that's only fair.
                    Right on mate my thoughts exactly.

If someone would like to say something that models shouldn't see, feel free to use the feedback link or simply send an email to Abby or to me.
                    Absolutly

Yes, there's already a "models only" forum that's not visible for members.Lxm
                    That's as it should be because they need a way to contact other models to exchange ideas, information and other things not related to members.

Comment

Jaycee
                      point 1 agreed
                      point 2 agreed
                      point 3 agreed (that's what i thought when i first saw rob's idea )
                      point 4 some how to me is also wrong and i need a valid explanation here of what exactly it's used for ?

Comment

Originally posted by jaycee View Post

That's as it should be because they need a way to contact other models to exchange ideas, information and other things not related to members.
                        This doesn't make sense jaycee,models can talk to other models without secret threads can't they ? and they do ,if they don't like something written about them they can report it, and they can use feedback,this personal forum just doesn't make sense and was obviously created by some one who believes in an elitist group and who also obviously is an executive member.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefbrody View Post
                          This doesn't make sense jaycee,models can talk to other models without secret threads can't they ? and they do ,if they don't like something written about them they can report it, and they can use feedback,this personal forum just doesn't make sense and was obviously created by some one who believes in an elitist group and who also obviously is an executive member.
                          Chief I respect your thoughts on the models only secret forum.

But think about it for a minute. If a model hasn't met another model face to face and they need or want to talk to another model this would be a great resourse. The models are from all over Australia and if they haven't met face to face and exchanged phone numbers this would be a great way to do it or even to chat and motivate each other.

Comment

Chief

I exchange emails with some who are or have been members on the boards, and occasionally I send feedback to the site, and I always get a reply. Doesn't it make sense that we don't post those correspondences on the boards? Think how you might feel if you wrote to the site and someone there started a thread called Look What the Chief Said.

The point is that we all have convos we don't want, and wouldn't be expected, to broadcast. The fact that some of these dialogues are between people who happen to be on the boards doesn't oblige them to hold the discussion here. So it is with the models. They all work here, the resources for a community bulletin board are in place, so why not use it? But it doesn't follow that they should give up their privacy to participate in it.

Comment

Guess what? The models are an elite group--we would not be so gaga over them if they weren't. They share far more of their lives with us than I ever expected when I joined AW two years ago. (Back then hardly any models posted unless they were also on staff.) At the same time, they have their own personal lives like everyone else. I am glad they have their own private channel for the reasons Jaycee mentioned above. Bluntly, I doubt our opinions, pro or con, matter here. This looks like a done deal.

Comment

It would be wise to remember that these boards are owned by the AW company and were put here to serve a complex set of business purposes. Some of these purposes are to add entertainment value to the site, attract new users, and gather feedback and ideas, but there may be others that are unrelated to our experience and should be kept private:
                                • To facilitate confidential business communication between AW and models, between the Melbourne and Sydney offices, and between AW and outside vendors;
                                • To allow models to plan private events, including dates and locations that we should not know. For models whose busy lives don't allow them to check e-mail regularly, a message board provides a better means of group communication.
                                It seems incorrect to describe either of these uses as "elitist" -- just a sensible company making wise use of a resource.

It's harder to imagine what business purpose a "members only" forum would serve. We members already provide tons of feedback as it is, private methods exist for feedback that might be hurtful, and for every other purpose, there's Mundane Chatter.

Comment

What Spork said.

Comment

Good answers by everyone and this might have seemed like i was trying to get at the models which i definitely was not,it's the fact that i know of one particular member of staff who never converses with members and is often seen on the online list viewing this type of thread only and i can't help thinking that they only do that because they know that it's especially for them as an executive member it's just one of those niggling thiings and as nothing to do with the models,it bug's me and it's mrs roops fault for mentioning it.
                                    Last edited by chiefbrody; 20 September 2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

You must admit the model interaction with us members on the boards is pretty amazing. I've been a member for about two years and more models are chatting on the boards now, than back then. Maybe the secret model forum plays a small part in that.

Comment

it bug's me and it's mrs roops fault for mentioning it.
                                        Huh? Brody, You really have no reason to get hot and bothered. The secret forum was in fact no great secret as it has been mentioned before in the main boards. Also the model recruitment page does say that there is a “model community - an exclusive, private club with no website members around to butt in.”

Of course the forum could be a models’ bitchfest but I doubt if it is that interesting though I’m sure you would have liked to look at the thread, “Chiefbrody – hot or not?

Comment

Definitely hot i think

Comment

Of course the forum could be a models’ bitchfest but I doubt if it is that interesting...
                                            It's definitively nothing special!
                                            No one needs to feel like he's missing something.

Lxm

Comment

Thanks, all! For some reason, the email post notifications didn't kick on for this thread so I haven't been getting any reminders that anyone responded here.

As I tried to say in my first post, "Nothing really "bad" but stuff that could be misunderstood, etc.".

As many have hinted here, sometimes the "secrecy" is worse than the truth. I also am not sure that all models are quite as thick-skinned as some would like to think. I wouldn't expect them to be. While they certainly have shared themselves "visually" in every imaginable level of intimacy, that doesn't and never will equate to opening their every hidden corner of feelings. That, IMHO, is another level which must always be very carefully protected by all of us.

SO, I'll write Abby if I have anything important to say!
                                              Last edited by FloridaRob; 20 September 2007, 07:06 PM. Reason: Removed hint at what my thoughts are about! ;)

Comment

I sent my thoughts in the General Feedback, where they belong! Those of you with access to it will understand what I had on my mind!

Comment

Of course the forum could be a models’ bitchfest...
                                                  Probably talking about the members and us troops.

"That Luxman is so suave and sophisticated, I want at him."
                                                  "Arsby is such a dork, why can't he like shut up already."
                                                  "Spudman is punnier than Artlover, but I'll bet Arty would be better in bed."
                                                  "What is it about Chiefbrody that makes me want to rip off his clothes and be his slave."

Comment

Originally posted by arsby View Post

"What is it about Chiefbrody that makes me want to rip off his clothes and be his slave."

HEH!! Probably more like, "Abby!! Do I HAVE to keep posting with those idiots! I want a RAISE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by arsby View Post

OMG, arsby, how did you know all that, have you been sneaking into out secret section? hehe....

Luv Melinda

Comment

Originally posted by bookmanz View Post
                                                        You must admit the model interaction with us members on the boards is pretty amazing. I've been a member for about two years and more models are chatting on the boards now, than back then. Maybe the secret model forum plays a small part in that.
                                                        Or supergirl Althea!!

Comment

You did open a bit of a can of worms here Rob, one which Luxman prolly should have put a lid on... (please don't take this the wrong way Luxman, I'm absolutely not criticising you in any way, you know I love you Luxie and you do a super job!), although the Model's Only section is not entirely a secret as Mrs Roops pointed out, it is in fact (as far as I've been told by staff members in the past) a topic that Abby and Co don't want in depth discussions on, hence my suggestion that Luxman should have perhaps either closed/deleted this thread or just edited out the second last sentence of Rob's initial post to discourage discussion on this Model's Only section...

BUT, since this thread is still alive and kicking I'll join in...

point 4 some how to me is also wrong and i need a valid explanation here of what exactly it's used for ?
                                                          Not wrong at all chief, this models only section is very useful for discussing sensitive topics that should not be aired in the public forum... a chance for models to chat with each other privately who might never get the chance to meet face to face and a place to discuss other personal matters relating to a range of topics... Models do not have access to each others contact information, hence this section is vital and very useful... you may feel like you are missing out and perhaps in a way you are, but the thing is that we as models can't share every single little aspect of our personal lives with you all and there are some matters we need to discuss that require privacy (some of Spork's suggestions are pretty accurate)... I'm sure you understand chief... oops, reading back what I wrote it almost sounded like I was telling you off, sorry if it sounded like that chief!

Luv Melinda

Comment

Originally posted by Melinda View Post
                                                            ...you know I love you Luxie and you do a super job!
                                                            I know, and thanks!

...it is in fact (as far as I've been told by staff members in the past) a topic that Abby and Co don't want in depth discussions on...
                                                            Sigh, why do you do it then? As I see yours is the only in depth explanation until now. All the rest was funny speculation.

hence my suggestion that Luxman should have perhaps either closed/deleted this thread or just edited out the second last sentence of Rob's initial post to discourage discussion on this Model's Only section...
                                                            Maybe I should have, but I think there's no need for because anyway the forum isn't accessible for the members, so where's the problem. One strategy is to let topics simply go to sleep after a while instead of censoring posts.

The problem then are people who make much noise and wake it up again.

Lxm

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X