Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closed/open captions for hearing impaired, or when background noise is high.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closed/open captions for hearing impaired, or when background noise is high.

It might be helpful to add closed, or open, captions to some of the videos. Reason being, some of the videos are hard to understand over the background noise, especially if the user is hearing impaired.

Hi, Adam, welcome to the boards.

Adding captions to a video is a big deal... first someone has to type out a transcript, then they have to use captioning software to integrate it into the video, timing each line to caption what the model is saying at the moment. It's a real-time project, no way to automate it.
    I doubt the staff would be able to justify the effort for those few of us with hearing problems.
    I am hard of hearing... I use hearing aids, they work for normal conversation but they can't compensate for some of the background noise. What I do is wear earphones and jack up the volume when watching the vids.
    Or I just turn off the sound and skip through the talking parts and go straight to the meat. So to speak.

Comment

Thanks! We'll just have to wait until technology advances enough to enable easier captions.

Comment

Be nice to have smellavision too. Just a thought.........

Comment

... and 3D with those awesome polarized glasses!

Comment

Headphones are a good option I find

Comment

Captions in a selection of non-English languages might be useful, too

Comment

Moving the microphone closer when filming an interview part from a distance would help. Yes I realise this means dismount the mike from the camera. Small part of Cleo's recent vid had this problem, camera being a tiny bit to far away to catch the audio easily. Nothing my amplifier couldn't fix, but playing regular music after having seen the vid was a bit painfull for the ears as a result

Comment

Originally posted by OlderGuy View Post
                  Captions in a selection of non-English languages might be useful, too
                  May I suggest as initial languages:-

Comment

Originally posted by pjay View Post
                    May I suggest as initial languages:-
                    I expect Luxman has his hands full translating 2 million Wikipedia articles into Luxemburgish

Comment

suggestion...

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
                      Moving the microphone closer when filming an interview part from a distance would help. Yes I realise this means dismount the mike from the camera. Small part of Cleo's recent vid had this problem, camera being a tiny bit to far away to catch the audio easily. Nothing my amplifier couldn't fix, but playing regular music after having seen the vid was a bit painfull for the ears as a result
                      I have worked in documentary production. I can tell you that we used small Lavalier mics for interviews. They can be clipped to a clear neclace for nude interview portions... We use wireless mics only when needed. Of course this may not be the best option for you because you may not want to see the mic. For work we would usually put the mic on the clothes where it wouldn't be seen (the person iterviewed would only be framed neck up). I guess a good ol' shotgun mic w/boom works best.

B&H has some shotgun mics for $79.95+ (USD). Their Lav's start around $99.

Comment

We use a Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic on all solo shoots (around $1500), and two of them on a IM shoot (and one one each camera on a GG shoot).

We use a lav mic sometimes for off-screen guest directors (like Matilda and Fallon), and for the video newsletter.

Ideally, we'd use lav mics alla time, but with a naked model, where does the belt pack go?! Where does the mic clip?

Comment

hi

Originally posted by Abby View Post
                          We use a Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic on all solo shoots (around $1500), and two of them on a IM shoot (and one one each camera on a GG shoot).

We use a lav mic sometimes for off-screen guest directors (like Matilda and Fallon), and for the video newsletter.

Ideally, we'd use lav mics alla time, but with a naked model, where does the belt pack go?! Where does the mic clip?
                          I figured you guys used the right... I have seen lavs clipped to necklases. It's not the best look, but I guess it works. I don't have a problem w/ hearing or understanding anyone in the vids. I bet your neigbors would never know that you guys are running a full production house next door!

Comment

The best way to get rid of that background noise would probably be buying a good set of headphones. Buy a pair of around ear headphones Koss makes some affordable ones, Sony makes some that are ok, but they don't have as much dynamic range as some other brands, ie. Philips or Senheiser. Senheiser makes high quality products, but you will have to pay for it, but you may find some good deals online.

Comment

Just watched Sahara's outdoor shoot (video) and have the say the audio is excellent there. Much to my surprise 'cos I was expecting wind to cause noise and such.Very enjoyable shoot that.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby View Post
                                I see a potential Deviations shoot

Sorry

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                Working...
                                X