JAVA!! My "cup" runneth over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JAVA!! My "cup" runneth over!

...OK! SO, I was going through my "Add-Remove Programs" utility in Windows XP when I came across all this Java, apparently taking up gobs of my paltry 100 Gb HD when it could be much better deployed housing the new, f-ing huge, panoramic AW vids!

Only I don't want to blow off my Java entirely, else I won't be able to view, I don't think, the Flash "FLV" quickie vids!

(Or maybe I could but I do want to have Java at the least possible cost on my HD!)

I should add that I have Firefox, my usual browser, in addition to IE which I must maintain for business purposes! ( )

Anybody have a clue what I can safely uninstall???

Rob
    P.S. I'm also losing MS Flight Simulator, (now that I've hired Sue-Ann), and a bunch other stuff much better deployed housing AW vids!
    Attached Files

Rob,

1. JAVA isn't used by the AW site (they use JavaSCRIPT which is entirely different but confusingly named)
    2. It is doubtfull the 'updates' really consume that much space, they get installed into the same basedir so likely the calculation is just wrong
    3. Depending on your needs you want to keep 1.4.2_05 , 5.0 update 10 and 6 update 2.

Specifically, you want to keep all mayor Java version being 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 (they dropped the 1. on 5 upwards Sun likes to change names around). Of those mayor version you want the highest update. It's a bit like keeping both Windows 2000 and Windows XP around but patched to their latest service pack.

Be aware that 1.4/5/6 are siginifcantly different versions (the minor number changes are deceiving) you might need all three installed for different applications.

ALL of the JAVA software can be safely uninstalled. Just some programs might not work, so you re-install the required java for it. It won't crash the system or something

Comment

... Thanks, Frans! That's exactly what I needed to know, I think! I'll go study those numbers and, if I become totally confused, I know I can uninstall them all and reinstall without ending my world!

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaRob View Post
        P.S. I'm also losing MS Flight Simulator
        Aw, how could you?

Comment

Originally posted by OlderGuy View Post
          Aw, how could you?
          ... Eh, it was easy, OlderGuy! Ever try to fly an airplane with a mouse pad?

(And don't ever ask me to fly a helicopter on my laptop! )

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaRob View Post
            ... Eh, it was easy, OlderGuy! Ever try to fly an airplane with a mouse pad?
            Yeah. When I got tired of slew mode I asked Santa for a joystick.

Comment

You may also find that some VIRUS hide in the Java cache folder, so I always delete everything in the cache as a matter of course.

L

Comment

Yeah well, virusses may hide anywhere. That is why there are virus-scanners ;-)

Anyway, instructions to clean said Java cache are here: http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home...avacache.shtml

To be sure; such hiding is RARE so don't worry too much about it. There's just no use to let the java-cache take up space when you uninstall java itself anyway

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                Working...
                X