Mac OS X Leopard 10.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac OS X Leopard 10.5

I am about to change from stripes to spots...

The new version of Mac OS X arrived this morning. I have never done a Mac upgrade before, in the past I bought new Macs with the new OS pre installed.

So I will experiment on my Mac Mini.

L

Have fun with it.

In my eyes there are very good new features (I love TimeMachine) but some other are overkill.

Lxm

Comment

Well the upgrade was a total non-event, it has just worked!

It looks lovely, and I really wanted Time Machine, which will replace Super Duper.

So people if your thinking of the upgrade, go for it!

(Why can't Microsoft make upgrades this easy?)

L

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley View Post

L
        It's in their corporate DNA: If we have to bust ass writing code for our products, then it's only right that customers must bust ass installing/upgrading them.

Comment

Well the upgrade was a total non-event, it has just worked!

It looks lovely, and I really wanted Time Machine, which will replace Super Duper.

So people if your thinking of the upgrade, go for it!

L
          I would imagine that it's not as easy to do for Microsoft. Macs have very limited hardware configurations, whereas Wintel machines have millions of possible hardware/software combinations. Trying to design an OS that works with that many combinations has to present a lot of problems.

Comment

Out of curiosity, which type of upgrade did you do? Archive & install, format and clean install or the upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by ruben72 View Post
              Out of curiosity, which type of upgrade did you do? Archive & install, format and clean install or the upgrade?
              The install was the UPGRADE

L

Comment

Originally posted by dekoda View Post
                I would imagine that it's not as easy to do for Microsoft. Macs have very limited hardware configurations, whereas Wintel machines have millions of possible hardware/software combinations. Trying to design an OS that works with that many combinations has to present a lot of problems.
                OK so if I run a UBUNTU LIVE DISTRO Linux disc on my PC the whole thing works, Ethernet, sensible graphics, sound, it even found my SATA card and the RAID .

VISTA did none of these when I installed it.

Broken by design!

L

Comment

For your Linux installation, are you using Bootcamp or VM Ware Fusion/Parallels? Or both?

Comment

Originally posted by ruben72 View Post
                    For your Linux installation, are you using Bootcamp or VM Ware Fusion/Parallels? Or both?
                    On the Intel machine we have Parallels.

I tried Bootcamp but as you have to reboot to get at it I did not really see the point.

So I have three virtual machines, UBUNTU, VISTA (That does not work properly!) And XP HOME

Parallels rocks!

L

Comment

Something I've been curious about....maybe Luxman can answer.....if you run Bootcamp on a Mac, are you susceptible to the same viruses, trojans, spyware, etc. as the Wintel machines?

If you have the Mac version of some brand of AV software, and you run Bootcamp so you can run Windows, will the software detect the virus, or do you need to get the Windows version of the same software?

Comment

VISTA did none of these when I installed it.

Broken by design!

L
                        Oh I agree, Vista is not ready for prime time and should never have been released.

Comment

Something I've been curious about....maybe Luxman can answer.....if you run Bootcamp on a Mac, are you susceptible to the same viruses, trojans, spyware, etc. as the Wintel machines?
                          Yes, your Windows partition is as susceptible as any other Windows install. Viruses are software things - Apple hardware won't magically protect you if you choose to run Windows on it.

If you have the Mac version of some brand of AV software, and you run Bootcamp so you can run Windows, will the software detect the virus, or do you need to get the Windows version of the same software?
                          You need to run the Windows version in Windows.

Comment

Willow is absolutely right.

Also when you run Windows in virtual mode with Parallels or Fusion, your virtual machine is vulnerable as any Windows PC.
                            So you'll need a protection for it.

Another issue are the macro viruses that live in MS-Office VBA environment.
                            Of course they will run also in Office for Mac. Fortunately as soon as they try to access the OS they'll crash.

Lxm

Comment

Warning!

Leopard turns the firewall OFF by default.

System preferences/Security/Firewall to turn it back on.

Even if it was on in Tiger and you do an upgrade it still gets turned off.

Surf safely people!

L
                              Last edited by Lesley; 5 November 2007, 06:11 PM. Reason: Major typo!

Comment

Hmm... all the talking about Parallels got me wondering. Would it possible to host a Mac system inside say a VMWare/VirtualPC run from Windows? Just curious, obviously it would have to be some intel version (that's not what the 'i' stands for in iMac is it?? )

Btw. I did read some horror stories about people crashing to BSOD screens on the latest Mac update (which prolly is the 10.5?). Then again, with diversity comes problems so it's bound to work for most people

Comment

You can install Mac OS X on a Intel PC, but it's not a 'legal' install. The OS X licence states it's only for Apple supplied hardware. A brief search of the internet brings up sites with instructions.

The i does not stand for Intel, I had an IBM PPC chip in my old G5 iMac.

Comment

"i" stands for internet because the very first iMac from 1998 was designed especially for the use of internet.

See the linked Wikipedia article and this Jobs keynote video for more details.

Lxm

Comment

Only Tigers in my camp. Leopards keep out!

Totally OT. This is my post 2540. Anybody remember the IBM 2540 card reader?)
                                      Last edited by BigSpud; 6 November 2007, 04:40 AM. Reason: smiling

Comment

Question for the greater AW community.... Is anyone else but me having trouble with disappearing controller "handles" in Quicktime vids after upgrade to Leopard? I think that this issue arose a year or so ago (perhaps when Tiger first appeared). I even feel that I may have posted some workarounds for it back then. But at any rate, since my upgrade to Leopard all of my previously downloaded AW vids have now lost the controller handles (allowing one to select and play only part of the vid). Anyone else seen this or is there a work-around?

Comment

Originally posted by Stonefly View Post
                                          Question for the greater AW community.... Is anyone else but me having trouble with disappearing controller "handles" in Quicktime vids after upgrade to Leopard? I think that this issue arose a year or so ago (perhaps when Tiger first appeared). I even feel that I may have posted some workarounds for it back then. But at any rate, since my upgrade to Leopard all of my previously downloaded AW vids have now lost the controller handles (allowing one to select and play only part of the vid). Anyone else seen this or is there a work-around?
                                          Did you have the PRO version? I suspect you may have to register again to get the advanced features.

L

Comment

Leopard & QuickTime

Yeah, that's what I thought first... but no the cut copy and select features are available for other videos but not those with authoring permissions set (like those from AW). I tried reentering the QuickTime Pro key number. Also tried discarding QuickTime plist prefs. Other suggestions gladly welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman View Post
                                              "i" stands for internet because the very first iMac from 1998 was designed especially for the use of internet.
                                              Ah yes THAT is the iMac I get in mind when somebody mentions 'iMac', a fairly low-powered, simple but effective computer. With all perhipals being USB only if I recall correctly which was a tiny bit ahead of it's time

That about sums up my Mac knowledge (well except that back then a G3 was a really powerfull system ;-) so I best leave this thread

Comment

Since upgrading to X 10.5 Leopard, my Paralles system has been flakey, causing kernel panics and generally being nasty.

So I have removed Parallels and installed VMware Fusion.
                                                Two virtual machines XP Home and Ubuntu Linux.
                                                Works perfectly, easy install, handles the USB nicely and connects to our office network.

But I have a single problem that's bugging the hell out of me.

When I run the XP virtual machine, then connect with the Microsoft RDC to a remote Windows 2003 server, I don't get the sound off the remote machine. It works fine (the sound) on the remote machine and if I run the Mac version of RDC directly on the Mac.

I know it's a computer, in a computer, in a computer, so what did I expect.
                                                I expected SOUND!

Any ideas anyone? Sensible ideas!

L
                                                Last edited by Lesley; 23 January 2008, 10:46 PM. Reason: Lesley can't type

Comment

So the XP-VM doesn't channel the 2003-audio to it's parent/Fusion it seems? Check if the XP-VM can make sounds which you get to hear (not from the 2003, just from the XP).

WHY would you however want to run a XP-VM just to connect via RDC to another system if you can run RDC from your base OS directly ?

Comment

I've found that VMware's support for audio is very poor. On a linux host it has trouble sharing the sound device with other apps. So long as no other app tries to use the sound device, your guest OS can have sound, but if it is playing continuous audio (eg. music) it "clicks" every few seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                                                      WHY would you however want to run a XP-VM just to connect via RDC to another system if you can run RDC from your base OS directly ?
                                                      That's what the support guy at VMware said! I just DO , OK?

Sound is fine on the virtual XP machine.

L
                                                      Last edited by Lesley; 24 January 2008, 09:40 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

What does Mac's new OS have to do with connecting to AW and Downloads. If you are not trying to hide IP? I hit AW via inside my LAN/WAN wireless from various nodes but you can only have only one gateway IP so I'm lost? I even hit AW from my BlackBerry mobile device outside of my network but my BES sever still points to my gateway so I'm lost again.

Just trying to help here that's all. Server based 2003 enterprise migrating to ex Longhorn 2008 soon...

Ok what are you using as far as a firewall? I'm using a CISCO PIX? So as far as audio are you allowing audio to flow back in and thru across the LAN?

DJ USA
                                                        Last edited by Frans; 25 January 2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                        Working...
                                                        X