Disappearing login code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing login code

If something on the news page or the list of board threads catches my attention, I may not log into the site immediately. When I first load the news page from my bookmarks, the you-are-not-a-robot code appears on the login, but if I click on a pic or a thread before logging in, when I go back to login, the code box is a completely blank grey box. Refreshing the news page does not help--I have to click off the site entirely, load some other page, and then reload the news page. Not a major issue, but I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

I'm using XP Pro and Firefox 2.0.0.9, with the setting to clear the cache clears every time FF closes.

HM

I experimented with this for a few moments. At first it would not reproduce on my Mac so I was about to run Parallels to get into XP when I got a grey box. Clicking login with out filling in the login boxes brought the CAPTCHA code back with out leaving the site.

Happens in both Firefox and Safari. When I have more time I will try some different browsers within Windows.

L

Comment

Work around is pressing CONTROL+F5 or not using 'BACK' to return to the memberpage (use the Home->Members' Home' item)
      (I *think* that could be fixed forcing the captcha to generate on body load, FF appears not run javascript in the page on BACK/F5 unless it is attached to an event/trigger)

A 'show new captcha' button might be usefull there?

Comment

Using the site menus does not reproduce the problem, clicking back does.

I will pass this on to Willow.

L

Comment

Guess I just have to break myself of using the back button in this case--thanks Lesley and frans.

HM

Comment

Back/Forward wreak havoc on sites trying their best to determine where the visitor is It is however prolly nice for AW staff to know the pics posted on the frontpage are distracting enough so you forget to login first

Just out of curiousity, why don't just remain logged in? That's what I do, had to log out to view this problem ;-)

Comment

I wondered why Havemercy did not log in at the start. (just seems an odd way to use the site)
              But
              Not everyone wants the URL in favourites or auto login to be on their computer permanently...

L

Comment

As to why I don't automatically login or stay logged in: I tend to check the site multiple times a day to check the boards, and assuming I've already downloaded whatever content I might want for a particular day, and if nothing strikes my fancy for a reply on the boards, there is no need to login. However, if I see new activity on a thread I like to keep up with, I read it (before logging in) and if I can contribute anything worthwhile to said thread, I then login and post to it. One of the things I like about AW is the ability to definitively log out, rather than just logging into a site and wondering when it finally realizes you're gone. Seems more tidy that way, and less prone to having your login info hacked. Or maybe its just me.

HM

Comment

Originally posted by Havemercy View Post
                  Or maybe its just me.

HM
                  It's just you!

L

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
                    Work around is pressing CONTROL+F5 or not using 'BACK' to return to the memberpage (use the Home->Members' Home' item)
                    Thanks for that one Frans, I have the same problem and have been wondering for some time how to get around it.

Another thing I have noted is that when I check out new content before logging in (which I often do when I’m not sure whether I shall be downloading anything), while it’s possible to use links to stills on a model page (a login page complete with captcha code will appear), clicking on all other links (zip files, videos) will produce a “Not Found” error message. This has only cropped up some 2–3 months ago, IIRC. To be even more specific, the URL of links that work when not logged in begin with https://www.abbywinters.com/main.php...mageset&shoot= whereas the URL of links that do not begin with media-member-nl.abbywinters.com/content/member/...

Comment

Maurice, I don't work here but I'll send it on to Willow. You are correct that accessing mirrored content without being logged in gives a rather unfriendly error.

Comment

Thanks Maurice. I recently spotted this myself - it's to do with the way we re-configured our servers to accomodate the new European mirror. We'll be fixing it in the coming few weeks.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                        Working...
                        X