Problem playing videos with QuickTime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem playing videos with QuickTime

I run an iMac on OS 10.4.10 and have suddenly experienced a problem with QuickTime, namely that it has started playing mpg videos without sound. When I open the videos using VLC there's no problem, but QuickTime has gone obstinately mute.

So far I have tried trashing and reinstalling QuickTime, but that hasn't made any difference.

MTIA for any suggestions

takochan

Every video or can you name us a video?

Lxm

Comment

My QT has it's own volume control which is independent of the main volume, but other than that I can't find anything that may mute the sound in the QT preferences.

If you preview the MPG in finder do you get sound?

L

Comment

Originally posted by takochan View Post
        I run an iMac on OS 10.4.10 and have suddenly experienced a problem with QuickTime, namely that it has started playing mpg videos without sound. When I open the videos using VLC there's no problem, but QuickTime has gone obstinately mute.

So far I have tried trashing and reinstalling QuickTime, but that hasn't made any difference.

MTIA for any suggestions

takochan
        I had the same problem a while ago - here is an article with what I discovered would cure it:

Mac OS X: No audio from certain multimedia content

Some audio applications may change your computer's audio settings to a sample rate that is too high for other applications to use. In this situation, system alert sounds still work, and does iTunes, but other applications may have no sound (audio output). This document applies to Mac OS X 10.3 or later and applications that use QuickTime 6 or later for audio, such as Safari and Quicktime Player.

This can happen on Macs that support high sample rates (higher than 48000 Hz):

iMac G5
        Mac mini (all models)
        Power Mac G5 models that support sample rates higher than 48000 Hz
        PowerBook G4 support sample rates higher than 48000 Hz
        MacBook
        MacBook Pro
        iMac (Early 2006) and later
        Mac Pro
        For example, if you play an Internet movie in Safari, it will make no sound; if you open a QuickTime movie on your computer, QuickTime Player reports the following error (and the movie will have no audio):

"You may experience problems playing a sound track in (Movie Name).mov because a software component needed by the movie could not be opened."

Solution

Open Audio MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities/), then check the Audio Output setting.
        Change the Audio Output setting to 44100.0 Hz.
        Quit Audio MIDI Setup.
        Why does this happen?

Some third-party audio applications may change your computer's audio output setting. In fact, if you use the third-party application again after applying the above solution, the issue might occur again. Observe changes by watching the settings in Audio MIDI Setup before and after running a third-party application you suspect might be causing the issue. Contact the manufacturer of the application for more information.

Related Terms: mute muted mutes muting streaming stream streams streamed

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman View Post
          Every video or can you name us a video?

Lxm
          Every mpg video I've tried so far, including opnes that are not from AW.

takochan

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley View Post
            My QT has it's own volume control which is independent of the main volume, but other than that I can't find anything that may mute the sound in the QT preferences.
            Me neither.

If you preview the MPG in finder do you get sound?

L
            No.

t

Comment

So it's not an AW video specific problem.

I had a search on the Apple support website but I did not find anything that looked useful.

I am not sure where to go with this one now.

L

Comment

So it's not an AW video specific problem.

I had a search on the Apple support website but I did not find anything that looked useful.

I am not sure where to go with this one now.

L
                Thanks for taking some time to think about it anyway, everyone

I might be able to get some local help, but I thought I'd post something here in case someone here had a brilliant solution — there's so much collective expertise on this site.

Haven't got much time to look ay vids at the moment (busy), but I'll have another go at solving the pronlem when I have a moment.

Thanks again

takochan

Comment

Takochan, try the method suggested by the article from Mac Help that I posted in message #4 above. It sure sounds like that is your problem.

I was sure frustrated when it happened to me - all that lovely action on screen and I couldn't hear any of the sexy gasps, moans and heavy breathing!

Comment

Originally posted by islander View Post
                    Takochan, try the method suggested by the article from Mac Help that I posted in message #4 above. It sure sounds like that is your problem.

I was sure frustrated when it happened to me - all that lovely action on screen and I couldn't hear any of the sexy gasps, moans and heavy breathing!

Thanks, Islander, I will when I have a moment to spare. For the time being, if I get really desperate, I can sttill fire the vids up on VLC. Not being able to use QT is more of an annoyance than a frustration...

Cheers, and thanks again

takochan

Comment

Tako, I don't know if it helps to know this, but my Mac Mini has Windows Media Player pre-installed on it, and it plays the WMV versions of the AW videos. While this might not solve your sound problem, the WMV files seem to be higher-resolution than their MPG counterparts.

Comment

Problem Solved!!!

Everything's working fine again.

What I did was:

(1) Purge my computer of every bit of QuickTime-related stuff.

(2) THEN reboot.

(3) THEN do a system upgrade from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11.

(4) THEN do a fresh QT download and reboot.

Now all is A-OK

Thanks everyone who took the time and trouble to post suggestions — much appreciated!!!!!

takochan

PS: Spork -- the reason why I prefer downloading AW videos in mpg format is that I have a neat bit of software that will join mpg clips together, so that (e.g.) I can turn the separate clips of a GG into one continuous video,whereas I haven't found anything similar for wmv clips.
                        Last edited by takochan; 16 November 2007, 02:45 AM. Reason: adding PS to Spork

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                        Working...
                        X