cookies

I'll soon be upgrading to XP.
    Right now, I'm using Win98SE and Opera 9.10
    Where will I find my AW cookies?

Originally posted by OlderGuy View Post
    I'll soon be upgrading to XP.
    Right now, I'm using Win98SE and Opera 9.10
    Where will I find my AW cookies?
    Open a new window in Opera and type/paste this url " opera:config#Opera Directory "
    That will give you the path to your config files. If you've always used Opera in single-user mode it will probably be something like c:\program files\opera\profile and you won't need to do anything (unless you format your disk, just copy the files then)

If they are in some win98 user-specific directory (did win98 have 'User Settings' directories already?) then you need to copy those files to your new winXP account.

Most important is that you can copy entire Opera and use it on XP then. No need to install it.

The specific file you're looking for is "cookies4.dat" btw.

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
      c:\program files\opera\profile and you won't need to do anything (unless you format your disk, just copy the files then)

The specific file you're looking for is "cookies4.dat" btw.
      Thanks, frans. I found it. [It's about 18K - is that typical?]

While you're here:
      My XP disk comes with a "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard". Is this safe? If I use this, do I lose [some of] the advantages of a clean install?

Comment

Originally posted by OlderGuy View Post
        Thanks, frans. I found it. [It's about 18K - is that typical?]

While you're here:
        My XP disk comes with a "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard". Is this safe? If I use this, do I lose [some of] the advantages of a clean install?
        Yeah, pretty much all advantages of a clean install. I do recommend to use the Microsoft Office Save My Settings wizard, that is office ONLY and saves stuff like Outlook mailboxes and such.

Hmm.. let me see, you can use that FST wizard but be sure you switch to 'Files Only' you do NOT want to transfer settings.
        The problem is that not all programs are well-behaved and place their data files where they should so it would be best if you could somehow keep the old harddisk (partition) around.

Be aware that if you use Outlook Express its files may be outside My Documents. You really want to copy from one directory *above* My Documents but placing those files back into your new XP install requires some pc knowledge, not sure how comfy your are with XP or Windows overall??

p.s. my cookie file is approx 12kb so that's ok

Comment

And here I am thinking I had found a cooking thread...

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
            Y

Be aware that if you use Outlook Express its files may be outside My Documents. You really want to copy from one directory *above* My Documents but placing those files back into your new XP install requires some pc knowledge, not sure how comfy your are with XP or Windows overall??
            Outlook Express holds the data in .DBX files which are hidden. Perhaps doing a backup of the 'Documents and Settings ' should grab all the useful data but if you can keep the hard drive intact and fit a new one that would be good. Drives are quite cheap these days.

L

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley View Post
              Outlook Express holds the data in .DBX files which are hidden. Perhaps doing a backup of the 'Documents and Settings ' should grab all the useful data but if you can keep the hard drive intact and fit a new one that would be good. Drives are quite cheap these days.
              I don't use the "Office" type stuff. I use oddball stuff like Eudora, Lotus Smartsuite, Firefox, Opera, MacroExpress, ...
              My present plan is to save all the data I want to keep on an external harddrive, clean install XP, and reinstall my programs. I have all my application downloads burnt on a CDR.

Comment

If you have enough room on the external harddrive I would clone the entire C partition to it. That way you wont miss hidden files/directories. There are freeware products to do that, but since you only need to do it ONCE you can also use a trial version of the commercial ones. Try http://www.partition-manager.com/demo.htm for example (normally I'd say try Acronis but they demand you register before downloading a trial which is annoying)

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                Working...
                X