Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having trouble downloading with GetRight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble downloading with GetRight.

Hey all.

Got a slight problem, I can't seem to download files using my download manager (GetRight 6.3b) - paid version.
    I've read the article on the support part of the site about download managers, and when I logged into AW I do tick the Remember Me box.
    GetRight is also set to accept cookies.

As it's perhaps the most simple approach, I've attached a screenshot of what happens when I try to download a Gold GG video.
    Any assistance would be great as downloading stuff through IE is tedious .

Thanks!

Screenshot here: http://forums.abbywinters.com/vbulle...1&d=1196160435
    Attached Files

Have you logged into AW using 'Internet Explorer' and checked the remember me box. That is mandatory to set a cookie that Getright can use.

It may also be Norton causing the problem by blocking Getright.

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley View Post
      Have you logged into AW using 'Internet Explorer' and checked the remember me box. That is mandatory to set a cookie that Getright can use.

It may also be Norton causing the problem by blocking Getright.
      Hi Lesley - thanks for the reply!

Yes, I had logged into AW using IE7 and I did check the remember me box. I've also repeated this a few times. I did think about the possibility of Norton interfering, although in the Firewall configuration, GetRight is set to allow all.
      However, I've just disibled all the different modules of Norton and the same thing happens.

If I right click the failed download in the GetRight download list, and go to put my Username and password in there, it doesn't help either.. but this is possibly because there's no field for the security code.

Comment

Some of the security programs, McAfee being one, I am not sure about Norton, do strange things with the cookies and block what they see as 'dangerous' cookies, thus stopping downloads from our media servers. So it could be Norton blocking the cookie.

Comment

Hey.

I don't think it's related to Norton, because if I disable all of the protection modules I'm still unable to download the file with GetRight.
          I've also looked through all of the Norton configuration settings and there's nothing apertaining to blocking cookies.

I also did a "cookie test" on this website: http://www.tempesttech.com/cookies/cookietest1.asp
          Which it passed. I assume this test attemps to save a cookie to the machine, then read it afterwards.

Presumably this would have failed if Norton was interfering.

Thanks for the help so far. Hope I can get it working :/

Comment

Recent versions of GetRight appear to have some cookie-handling issues. In the past it has always "just worked" whenever we've tested it, but in the most recent round of testing we've had some problems getting the GetRight config right, so to speak. Sometimes downloads with GetRight work and sometimes they don't and so far we have not struck upon a definite formula for success.

As near as I can tell, GetRight is now capable of managing its own cookies quite independently of IE/Netscape and it seems that this can cause conflicts.

What works for me is open up the GetRight configuration dialog and navigate to Internet > Login > Cookies. ENABLE "Use cookies from your web browser" and DISABLE "Directly accept and send Cookies". Then hit the "Clear all GetRight Cookies Now" button for good measure. Close the configuration dialog, quit GetRight and fire it up again.

You will still need to login to abbywinters.com using IE7 with "remember me" checked. I'm not sure if it is necessary, but I close and restart IE7 after I do that.

Let me know if that helps.

Comment

Hi Willow -- thanks for the post.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. I tried what you said, and even rebooted after changing the settings but to no avail.
              Interestingly -- I've also downloaded and installed Free Download Manager and FlashGet. I can't seem to download anything from AW with these either; however a normal IE download does work.

Next thing I'll try now I think is removing Norton.

Comment

Huzzah!
                I now seem to have downloads working both with GetRight and FlashGet!

Removing Norton didn't solve the problem, was still getting the same error.
                However, if I right-click the Internet Explorer shortcut and select "Run as administrator", then I say "Yes" to the UAC prompt, IE then runs with elevated privileges and the new "Protected Mode" in Vista is disabled... whereas normally it's enabled.

This then seems to allow GetRight/Flashget to download the files!

And also, possibly this is the reason why.
                When IE is run in this mode, the cookies are saved in a different place.

When I just run IE normally without admin rights etc, cookies get saved here:
                C:\Users\Vorthal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \Cookies\low\

But when I run it elevated, they get saved here:
                C:\Users\Vorthal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \Cookies\

Hopefully it'll continue to work (touch-wood), but naturally running IE in this way is undesirable, but I'll just do it for when browsing AW.
                Now, I suspect it will, but hopefully it'll continue to work after I reinstall Norton!

Thanks to Lesley & willow for their help, and hopefully this information may help any other members who might come across the same problem.

Comment

Thanks for posting that Vorthal!

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                  Working...
                  X