Stream MPG and WMV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stream MPG and WMV

I used to be able to stream the WMV files off the members page and for some reason it only works off the video newsletter. I know you put the flash files on but did you disable the other streaming options.

We don't recommend you left-click and stream our MPG and WMV videos, because downloading issues tend to come up. These videos are very high quality (we've increased both the window size and the bit-rate for a bigger, clearer image) and they do not stream well, if at all. These videos are designed to be downloaded, then viewed, not streamed

Comment

Can you explain why we can not stream MPG and WMV files anymore?

Can you further explain why we can not stream MPG and WMV files anymore? Up until the end of last week I was able to stream all MPG and WMV files without proplem. Streaming them always worked fine. Now it can take upto 30 minutes to open the file. Before I was watching the files in seconds and they played fine. Is there anyway I can get the MPG and WMV files to stream again? PLEASE! Streaming the files was way better than now waiting for them to open.

Comment

so that's why they download first now --okay with me.

Comment

Originally posted by modelcar View Post
          Can you further explain why we can not stream MPG and WMV files anymore? Up until the end of last week I was able to stream all MPG and WMV files without proplem. Streaming them always worked fine. Now it can take upto 30 minutes to open the file. Before I was watching the files in seconds and they played fine. Is there anyway I can get the MPG and WMV files to stream again? PLEASE! Streaming the files was way better than now waiting for them to open.
          Are you sure this happened between last week and this week? If so, it's probably due to a change in your system, to the best of my knowledge (Lesley would know better) there's been no major change here just recently.

Read Lesley's post again. MPG's and WMV's do not stream well and never have.

I'd STRONGLY recommend you get a good download manager (here's a thread where we discuss some of them), download what you want overnight, and look at them the next day. Streaming these big files is an awful idea. They look SO much better when you play them the way they're supposed to be played.

Comment

Which browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari) are you using when trying to stream those movies? Did you try Right-clicking the download link and selecting 'Open' from there?

Comment

I am using IE7. If I go anywhere else on the web and click to play a MPG or WMV file the files stream and play. If I do this on the AW site now I get a choice to Open, Save or Cancel option. The files nolonger are streaming. I do not believe that I am the only one experiencing the problem. Please let me know if you have any other questions or sugesstions.

Comment

I am also finding it works this way now in my IE7 ,but it just started in the last few days ,they download and then play ,still okay with me ,as I have a fast connection only takes a minute or two , the flash still plays as always

Comment

I am using IE7. If I go anywhere else on the web and click to play a MPG or WMV file the files stream and play. If I do this on the AW site now I get a choice to Open, Save or Cancel option. The files nolonger are streaming. I do not believe that I am the only one experiencing the problem. Please let me know if you have any other questions or sugesstions.
                  Same here and like you I used to stream them before but doesn't anymore, and yes it started just a few days ago, maybe a week but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't want to download them if I'm not going to keep them, because I'm being charged if I go over a certain quantity of downloads per month.

Comment

This has just happened in the past week. All other files still stream in the same way they have done in the past. The newsletter wmvs still stream as they always have. I understand now that I am not the only one. Someone must have knowledge of something being changed.

Comment

Originally posted by casgrain View Post
                      Same here and like you I used to stream them before but doesn't anymore, and yes it started just a few days ago, maybe a week but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't want to download them if I'm not going to keep them, because I'm being charged if I go over a certain quantity of downloads per month.
                      You'd be better of watching the Flash version then, you can jump around in those without having to download all the way up to the time requested. 'Streaming' wmv/mpeg like you do still downloads a lot of data, flash is more economical and fairly watchable at the highest setting (you can check that in your myAW settings).

As for why the newsletter seems to be unaffected, it's on a different server (the older vnl works streaming as well so it's not the redirect).

Something must have changed in the setup of the media-servers (although the files are still reported as 'Windows Audio/Video file). Send a ticket to the Support team to let them figure it out Willow will probably know and sending a query to support is the easiest to get the answer I think.

Then again, those vids are not made or offered for streaming, so maybe it was turned of on purpose.

Comment

I took Hillery & Danielle K's DIM as test and noticed that on downloading either wmv or mpeg, it sets the header

Code:
                        Content-Disposition: [B]attachment[/B]; filename=im_danielle_k_hilleryvid1.wmv
                        The VNL doesn't do this. The 'Content-Disposition' with type attachment does indeed always ask the user where to save the file to. The filename is a suggestion offered to the user. Setting that header MIGHT interfere with being able to stream it. Not entirely sure.

Comment

streaming versus download

Hi,
                          This is my first time posting anywhere ever, but I'd like to add my voice to this. I too, could stream perfectly within seconds until last week, now it can take up to fifteen minutes to download a video before it can be watched. As a result I have to be very selective about the ones I download and no doubt am missing many great videos. I haven't changed anything about my system and it's surely unlikely that we all have changed the same thing at the same time. Is it likely that whatever has happened can be fixed?

Comment

We made a recent change to the way we serve images, ZIPs, WMVs and MPGs. An unintended consequence of this was that your browser will now always prompt you to download WMVs or MPGs (the prize goes to Frans for figuring out why).

I've put together a solution for those of you who wish to play WMVs and MPGs directly instead of downloading. If you go to your MyAW page you'll notice a new option under Personal Settings. Change WMV/MPG Links to Play and things should go back to the way they were for you.

Please note that this is not streaming video and it is not a supported feature of abbywinters.com. The only streaming video we support is Flash.

Comment

A big thank you

Hi, a big thank you To Willow (and apparantly Frans too) The solution was simple and the action very fast. Thanks again. The service from AW as always is superb.

Comment

The Personal Settings section of MYAW now looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	myaw-stream.png
Views:	1
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	620499

And the item to change is clearly marked!

We do not support this feature.

Have fun!

L

Comment

Wow, such a change/addition done in less than 24 hours. Nice service, good job Willow!

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
                                    Wow, such a change/addition done in less than 24 hours. Nice service, good job Willow!
                                    Willow was up to nearly 1 AM fixing this.

He contacted me to tell me about it and to test it at 00-45 and it was live a few minutes later.

I had it easy, it was lunchtime here in London.

L

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                    Working...
                                    X