Accidental Double-Posting Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accidental Double-Posting Continues

I continue to sporadically experience the following: I type in a post, click on, (at least), "Quick Reply", and nothing happens, (or appears to happen). Having, in the past, double-posted this way, I now have to copy the text for safekeeping, and then reload the page, (which doesn't exactly reload but returns me to the Profile page). Then I navigate back to the thread to confirm that my post was accepted.

This might not be confined only to "Quick Reply". Can't recall just now. I use Mozilla Firefox.

Am I alone? (With this problem?)

Rob

Rob, no you are not alone. It is a Firefox thing. Used to happen to me too.
    Now it doesn't seem to happen to me anymore. I use the version 2.0.0.11

Comment

I did ask for examples and a description of what happens when a member gets a double post, but no one replied...

Until now.

What version of Firefox are you using FloridaRob?

I normally post using Firefox, albeit with Mac OS X and I have never had a problem.

L

Comment

2.0.0.11 Lesley!
        I'd only double-post because of having clicked to submit a posting and seeing nothing happening. Makes me assume I didn't click properly so I do it again and then see two. Now that I am smarter, I do the routine I described above.

Rob
        P.S. They update fairly frequently. I'm quite sure this issue has persisted for a while. (Bookmanz?)
        Last edited by FloridaRob; 20 December 2007, 03:27 AM. Reason: P.S.

Comment

I don't see how you can 'NOT click properly' ?

If the click submits the post then it's a click that the system registered. There must be some glitch that does not send the page back to you with your post on it.

It may be at the posters end, or it may be us but I suspect it's not us (big cop out on it's way) because it would be more widespread?

L
          Last edited by Lesley; 20 December 2007, 10:23 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

The quick-reply has that problem sometimes, doesn't refresh the page esp. when the forum server is busy. Has been many months since that was a problem for me though. 'Go Advanced' usually avoids that probem since it's a page of its own.

Comment

Lesley, "clicking properly" just means I might have been distracted and thought I clicked when I hadn't. It's the warped reality of knowing you did something right but the cold machine is telling you that you did not so you tend to believe it and click again. See what I mean?

Apparently Frans and I have experience the same thing, sporadically, with our latest FF browsers, with just the "Post Quick Reply", (I'd be willing to stipulate. I don't recall having this with the "advanced" reply. So, at worst, it's potentially traceable mismatch between FF and the board software. (Isn't vBulletin a separate company?) At best, it's all a Firefox issue which would be confirmed if anyone had the same experience at other sites. Personally, I don't believe I have but that doesn't "prove" anything, of course.

Seems a programmer could tell us if there's any difference between the signal the server gets for Post Quick Reply and the normal post command that would explain the lack of response when the server is busy. There must be some difference in the "signal" sent to the server, I'd think!

Comment

Perhaps a break, here, in this "pressing issue"!

Just now, I'm quite sure I accidentally double-clicked with the Quick Reply function in Elyse's thread. With dread, I reloaded that page and saw, to my astonishment, that there was but one post from FloridaRob! Perhaps a gnome under the hood of this board has provided a work-around to automatically delete any identical posts! Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaRob View Post
                  Perhaps a break, here, in this "pressing issue"!
                  Perhaps a gnome under the hood of this board has provided a work-around to automatically delete any identical posts! Cool!
                  We have employed full time Pixies to watch the boards and delete unwanted double posts before the poster notices.

L

Comment

Errrm... oi!

Just wait till saturday evening Vegas time, for some reason I expect the boards to be read a bit more than usual

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                    Working...
                    X