European download server chokes, resets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European download server chokes, resets

Since you introduced the automatic switching that directs downloads to the european server, whenever I try downloading a handful of videos (eg. a GG t3 set of 4-5 video files), two instances out of three, the download grinds to a halt sometime before the files are complete, and after a few minutes wait, I get "cant complete download because server connection was reset" (or something like that) error message in windows. At the same time, all other connections to other servers are okay, no variation in connection speed to europe, usa or australia, for that matter. (no download manager. IE7, win xp.) Typically, if I try to reconnect to the AW vids shortly after, things are still very slow or not working at all.

This didn't happen before the automatic switching was introduced, so I have three queries: 1) is there a bandwidth/download limitation per connection? (I have a 16 mbit adsl connection, and run 4-6 d/ls at the same time when I find a video set I like), or 2) could there be a problem with the Dutch server (and could you please fix it?). Finally, 3) could you please let us choose download server, in case one place crashes/malfunctions. Now I'm stuck with the nl servers, even if they don't work...

Thanks.

Hi dididothat

Good questions. To answer them:

1) No, we don't impose any bandwidth limitations.

2) We're not aware of any problems with the Dutch server at this time. Our tests show it downloading properly, and we haven't heard of any current problems from other members.

3) There isn't a switch for you to choose the server, and no plans to provide one, but you can force it to the US server at a time when the NL mirror is slower. Go to MyAW from the EXTRAS menu, or the "manage account" link under your name on the log-in page).

In MyAW you can hit the button that says "Run A New Bandwidth Test". That'll test your connection to both servers and set a cookie to serve you from whichever is faster at that time. The cookie should persist until the next time you run the bandwidth test, provided the cookie doesn't get deleted or corrupted.

If this doesn't work for you, please contact us via the "Pics Vids Zips Help" form on our support page. That would be "support" from the membership menu, or you can use this link:

With that we'll be able to look into your particular situation and send you a reply via email.

Happy New Year!

Comment

Thank you for your detailed and swift reply, and happy new year! :-)
      - Did I Do That?

Comment

Never had problems with the NL server but I do download the files one-by-one and not all-at-once. It does make a difference for total transfertime of course but it's less overhead. You'd need a download manager to get that effect though.

Ever had problems downloading ONE (big) file from the NL server??

Comment

Hey Frans, is that server installed in your living room?

doinel

Comment

I must say that since some time I experience problems with downloading the videos or large zip files.
            The download either ends before the file is complete or simply stops, so I have to cancel it.
            I always thought it's a problem with my dl machine, but now I'm pretty sure it came up with the mirror server.

Lxm

Comment

Only seen unexpected stops a couple of times. My download manager complains about the server not supporting resume though, got to look into that one day (FDM is open source now but it's rather complex C++ code, bwah).

Hasn't occured enough times to annoy me to the point of complaining (besides, I can't reproduce it.. well except my download-manager complaining which might very well be the programs' fault)

Comment

I get 'unavailable' message from the NL server from time to time, so it looks like we have to reinvestigate this.

Hi Willow, one for you!

L

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
                  My download manager complains about the server not supporting resume
                  I can't get Free Download Manager to resume d/l's from either the NL or the US server. We do support resuming d/l's. I can do it from either server with DownThemAll, LeechGet, and GetRight, but try as I may I can't get FDM to do it. When it starts a d/l it says that the server supports resume, but after a few seconds it changes that "Yes" to "No" and won't resume a paused d/l.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                    I can't get Free Download Manager to resume d/l's from either the NL or the US server. We do support resuming d/l's. I can do it from either server with DownThemAll, LeechGet, and GetRight, but try as I may I can't get FDM to do it. When it starts a d/l it says that the server supports resume, but after a few seconds it changes that "Yes" to "No" and won't resume a paused d/l.
                    It seems to parse the header send by the server wrong. It's rather messy code though so I think I'll just get another download manager

Comment

Just did that bandwidthtest and it showed me that the US-server seems to better for me than the EU-server... just the opposite of last time I tested it...

Curious as I'm from germany and much nearer to the EU-server...

I had some brooken DLs but they had been caused by my own stupidity...

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by JackFreeway View Post
                        Just did that bandwidthtest and it showed me that the US-server seems to better for me than the EU-server... just the opposite of last time I tested it...

Curious as I'm from germany and much nearer to the EU-server...
                        Physically yes. There is at least one provider in Germany who has it's own (as in owns the entire line) connection to the USA. Anyway, if you could post a traceroute here (change your ip/first line ip to x.x.x.x or such) that would be usefull. Shanon or Willow will prolly be interested in it, since the purpose of a European mirror is of course to serve.. well European customers faster

Comment

ok, we see what is going on - we're becoming too popular in the EU! We're adding some new servers to the cluster in the EU, should be in place in 10 days or so. This should fix all these problems.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for your patience.

Comment

No trouble Abby *smile* Thanks for your effords...

Frans, just run the test again, now the NL-sever seems to be the best server for me... *bg*

My (personal) solution: A quick bandwidth-test before downloading to set the best conection for me... Tiniest effort for me with greatest gain...

The traceroute you wanted Frans:

Routenverfolgung zu www.abbywinters.com [72.232.6.220] über maximal 30 Abschnitte:
                            1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms . [x.x.x.x]
                            2 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
                            3 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 217.0.68.74
                            4 40 ms 40 ms 40 ms 217.239.38.161
                            5 37 ms 37 ms 37 ms s263240-1.bcr1-lnx.savvis.net [206.24.169.5]
                            6 41 ms 40 ms 41 ms cr1-pos-0-0-3-0.londonuk1.savvis.net [204.70.192.5]
                            7 194 ms 194 ms 193 ms cr2-loopback.dan.savvis.net [208.172.130.71]
                            8 191 ms 190 ms 191 ms hr1-tengig-12-0-0.dallasda1.savvis.net [204.70.203.58]
                            9 191 ms 191 ms 191 ms 216.39.79.38
                            10 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
                            11 190 ms 190 ms 190 ms www.abbywinters.com [72.232.6.220]

Looks fine to me and using FF with DTA I don't have any hangups/broken DLs and get up to 1.9 MB/s with larger files...

Hope this helps...

Jack

Comment

Errr... sorry Jack I wasn't precise enough What would be usefull if you have further problems with the NL mirror (or the auto-select chooses US for you) is two traceroutes. One to media-member-nl.abbywinters.com and one to media-member-us.abbywinters.com (if it is a problem with Gold content, substitute 'member' with 'gold', likeso: media-gold-nl.abbywinters.com).

Comment

For those keeping track, NL server (media-gold-nl.abbywinters.com [89.145.109.103]) went kinda slow (5 Kb/sec) around 18:38 today (7-jan-2008).

Another suprise was that my route to that server for some reason goes over London?

Tracing route to media-gold-nl.abbywinters.com [89.145.109.103]
                                over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 58 ms 100 ms 102 ms speedtouch.lan [192.168.1.254]
                                2 13 ms 11 ms 12 ms dr1.tc1.xs4all.net [195.64.88.1]
                                3 14 ms 11 ms 12 ms 0.ge-0-3-5.xr3.1d12.xs4all.net [194.109.7.37]
                                4 26 ms 11 ms 14 ms 134.222.97.17
                                5 21 ms 18 ms 18 ms ldn-s1-rou-1021.UK.eurorings.net [134.222.231.170]
                                6 23 ms 19 ms 18 ms ldn-s3-rou-1003.UK.eurorings.net [134.222.231.218]
                                7 22 ms 19 ms 20 ms 134.222.249.18
                                8 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms xe-1-0-0.ams20.ip.tiscali.net [89.149.186.121]
                                9 30 ms 30 ms 29 ms ge-0-0-1-31.edge-1.sara.ams.nl.as29017.net [213.200.75.142]
                                10 28 ms 25 ms 25 ms 89-145-109-103.as29017.net [89.145.109.103]

Trace complete.

Server doesn't complete stall btw, but seems to try valiantly to push some data my way but having lotsa trouble doing so. It's prolly overwork, poor thing

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                                  For those keeping track, NL server (media-gold-nl.abbywinters.com [89.145.109.103]) went kinda slow (5 Kb/sec) around 18:38 today (7-jan-2008).

Another suprise was that my route to that server for some reason goes over London?
                                  Yes, the speed of the US server is much better (around 300 KByte / sec). But the London route seems to be a problem of your provider.

Comment

I'm in the North of England and my tracert went direct from my local cable provider to a server in Amsterdam in just 2 hops. It seemed to avoid London.

Comment

Originally posted by German View Post
                                      Yes, the speed of the US server is much better (around 300 KByte / sec). But the London route seems to be a problem of your provider.
                                      Yeah, it's a bit of a long route to travel some.. let me think... 150 meters it is I believe (from one datacenter to the other in the same town ;-)

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                      Working...
                                      X