Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browser issue

Hey there,

When I was attempting to download a video today I right clicked as usual on the mpeg and chose 'Save Link As' but a message came up saying "item not found, web page may have changed address" or something to that effect. I should say that I have been using Firefox only recently and it has been working well so far with the downloading of stuff. I discovered that by choosing 'Open Link in a New Window' instead of my usual 'Save Link As', a new window opens and then a Firefox box pops up allowing me to save the file to disk. Any ideas why 'Save Link As' is not working for me as it normally does.

I believe it may be something to do with Javascript and/or Flash, though I have not changed any of the settings on my browser. This is because other sites with either Flash content or Javascript (ie login boxes, buttons) have been slow to load recently. In particular my Facebook page takes a long time to load and also when I click on things like the Reply button in Yahoo Mail, it also takes longer than usual to come up with the page. Do you think I might be onto something here? Do I need to change settings and should I try installing Firefox v2.0 as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.

SF
    Last edited by sweatyfox; 14 January 2008, 05:06 PM.

You should be on the latest version of Firefox, which is 2.0.0.11:

Firefox is more than a browser. Learn more about Firefox products that handle your data with respect and are built for privacy anywhere you go online.

Also check you have the latest version of Flash, not that it should make a difference to downloading:

L

Comment

Sweatyfox,

If possible provide a link or the shoot-name and which vid you are trying to download.

Secondly, downloading a video is now the default action when you click on a link (unless you changed that in your myAW settings).

Downloading an mpeg has nothing to do with flash so that can't be it I think. Need more iiiinput

Comment

Hey Frans,

I can tell you that it is only today this has been happening. With Firefox usually all I have to do is right click on the mpeg video and then go to 'Save Link As' on the little menu that appears and hey presto, it downloads the video. However today when I click on 'Save Link As' it just says the link isn't found or that the address might be different. I did check I was logged in.

I can get round this by clicking on 'Open Link In New Window' instead, this opens a blank window and the box comes up giving me the option to save the file, then downloads it.

This is happening on any AW video I try and any site I try to download an mpeg or wmv video from, not just AW, though the particular video I started with was Jamie Lee and Violet, which I have since got fine using the alternative method.

It coincided with the fact sites like Facebook and other sites which require a login and presumably use Javascript or Flash are very slow for me all of a sudden and I think this is related.

Thanks Lesley, I will try those things.

SF

Comment

You may also consider running virus/malware scan!

As this is affecting everything you do it is not an AW specific problem.
          (Translation: it's not us, Lesley breathes a sigh of relief!)

L

Comment

A few weeks back I had something similar happen. I was in the middle of several downloads using GetRight I think. I came back later and looked and most had been cancelled due to "file name change" or something like that.

I just figured it was a glitch as my connection was transferred from one server to another. I was also not sure of the DL manager and wasn't in the mood to do much further investigation so I forgot about it (till I saw this message thread).

It went away and I never thought about it again. I don't know if that is any help or not, but I don't think there is a virus.

Comment

Sweatyfox,

Do you have the same problem downloading the Video News Letter (wmv) ?? Oh, try the VNL from the Archive, anyone but the most recent one ('cos that has a different link on which Save As wont work).

Which mirror are you using (any link to a video from a shoot will tell you, media-NL or media-US), myAW will also show this information.

When you click 'Save As' and it gives the error what is the url in the top of the window?

I assume you DO have a virus-scanner right?? Right??

Comment

Hey Frans and Lesley,

I will give the videos another go in a while. Frans, I am using the NL server. I do have a virus scanner and it found a couple of trojans and some adware which it has dealt or is dealing with. However I don't think this is what caused it as I have been able to download videos normally for over a week using Firefox. It was just weird why it suddenly gave me this message of non-recognition of the link when I click Save Link As and yet when I click on Open Link in a New Window, it does recognise it and gives me the option to save.

SF

Comment

Seemed to work fine again yesterday but this morning was playing up again, wtf is going on I wonder.

SF

Comment

Does your 'Save As' redirect to a download manager by any chance?

Do you have the same problem using Internet Explorer 6 or 7?

When you have the problem try downloading a random not-most-recent VNL from the VNL Archive. That will at least tell you if using 'Save As' works as designed.

Comment

Hey Frans

I tried an archived VNL and same message. Sites like Facebook with a login page are really really slow whereas other sites are okay. Also ironically whilst trying to get the new version of Flash, the page there is taking ages to load too. This is the same using IE6 as with Firefox and that's why I asked the question about Flash and Javascript.

I have Flash version 9 at the moment. Although I can watch most videos on Youtube, a few newer ones came up with a message about Javascript and a new version of Flash.

I will tell you if the Adobe page actually loads. Gee, what is going on. Things were okay for one day this week, I was able to download using 'Save As' as normal and Facebook and other were appearing at usual speed. Hope I can find the source.

Ah, it seems to be letting me download as normal tonight however.

The other thing is that I installed Firefox 2 today.

SF

Comment

I opened the error console on Firefox and here are some of the messages I am getting:

Warning: Unknown property '_margin-top'. Declaration dropped.
                        Source File: http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe...ate/screen.css
                        Line: 1546

Warning: Unknown property '_display'. Declaration dropped.
                        Line: 1556

Warning: Expected colour but found 'transparent'. Error in parsing value for property 'color'. Declaration dropped.
                        Line: 2251

Warning: Expected ',' in media list but found 'and'. Unrecognised at-rule or error parsing at-rule 'and'.
                        Source File: http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe...late/print.css
                        Line: 1744

Does any of this make sense?

SF

Comment

None of those are from the AW site What are you trying to do?

As for the warnings, those are warnings that your browser doesn't 100% like the way the page is made-up. The _display' and '_margin' are weird in that I can't see how those are supposed to work in ANY browser. Either way, looking quickly at the .css sources it doesn't look these warnings will cause you problems.

(note that most any site will produce some css warnings, esp. if more strict browsers like FireFox or Opera)

Comment

Well, like I say getting Firefox 2 seems to have solved my download issue, or it worked tonight anyways with Sienna's videos using 'Save As'.

However it's trying to solve why certain pages like Facebook, Adobe Flash Download Page etc are taking so long to load. Another example which takes ages to load is canalplus.fr (the site of the French TV channel) which is a site that uses Flash heavily on it.

There must be something different in their makeup compared to other webpages and I can only presume its the way my browser is reading the Flash/Javascript or whatever. I have Flash 9 which is the latest version.

Could be to do with something as simple as speed so maybe just switching my wireless router off, waiting and putting it on again would solve it.

Very curious indeed.

SF
                            Last edited by sweatyfox; 17 January 2008, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Some changes to the way the downloadable content is delivered have been made, so maybe that has also helped to fix your problem.

L

Comment

Thanks Lesley,

I now just need to find out why these sites like Facebook are taking so long or not loading at all. When I click on login (when using Firefox) the green bar which shows how near the page is to loading just stays around half or three quarters of the way there. Like I say I need to try and figure out whether it is my browser (though similar thing happens with IE6) or if it is to do with the ISP/modem/router. It doesn't make sense when other pages including AW front page and my Yahoo email account load at normal speed.

Error: e has no properties
                                Source File: http://www.facebook.com/login.php
                                Line: 19

Error: document.getElementById("persistent_notification") has no properties
                                Source File: http://www.facebook.com/login.php
                                Line: 1

Those are two error messages I got when I checked the error console on Firefox. Ah well I will try and figure it out.

SF

Comment

Do you happen to have either Norton or McAfee firewall/antivirus? Esp. the Norton firewall is famous for sometimes blocking too much.

Comment

I have Norton Internet Security and the Protection Center. You could be right, I was thinking of this as another possibility. I need to look at the settings I guess, including the Personal Firewall that Norton includes. Is there anything in particular you would suggest I check?

SF

Comment

Originally posted by sweatyfox View Post
                                      I have Norton Internet Security and the Protection Center. You could be right, I was thinking of this as another possibility. I need to look at the settings I guess, including the Personal Firewall that Norton includes. Is there anything in particular you would suggest I check?
                                      Easiest but most dangerous would be to very quickly disable the firewall entirely, check the page you want, enable the firewall. That would proof or disproof the concept.

If it indeed IS Norton, check their website (yes I know that is hard). The sudden change could be explained by a recent LiveUpdate which probably added some rules which kill certain sites.
                                      (try viewing your cpu usage when going to a trouble site normally, is it high?)

Comment

Disconnect from the web
                                        Turn Norton Firewall off
                                        Put the Widows firewall on
                                        Connect to the web
                                        Make the check

L

Comment

Norton and McAfee cause our members no end of grief.

L

Comment

Originally posted by BigSpud View Post
                                            A few weeks back I had something similar happen. I was in the middle of several downloads using GetRight I think. I came back later and looked and most had been cancelled due to "file name change" or something like that.

I just figured it was a glitch as my connection was transferred from one server to another. I was also not sure of the DL manager and wasn't in the mood to do much further investigation so I forgot about it (till I saw this message thread).

It went away and I never thought about it again. I don't know if that is any help or not, but I don't think there is a virus.
                                            I see you are using DownloadManagerGetRight. Im advised not to use DM of any kind. What is your experiense with this DM?

Comment

Originally posted by audun26 View Post
                                              Im advised not to use DM of any kind. What is your experiense with this DM?
                                              Who gave you that advise and why?

A properly configured downloadmanager like GetRight helps a lot if you want to download videos later or at night. Or just to resume a download if it somehow gets aborted. See also the General FAQ regarding download-managers

(do avoid Free Download Manager for now, it does not resume downloads properly)

Comment

ok, i like that, and will awoid free DM

Comment

Hey peoples,

An update, Facebook et al still taking an absolute age to load. I noticed on a couple of newer Youtube videos I clicked on it comes up with that "You may have Javascript turned off or an outdated version of Flash". I am pretty sure that I have an up to date version of Flash, I can't go to the Adobe page anyway cos it plays up just like Facebook. Most Youtube videos play fine however.

Not sure if this gives any further indication as to what the solution may be.

SF

Comment

Since you don't tell us what you have tried or changed.. no not really

I always blame Norton if possible but it might not be feasable for you to test without it? If you do decide to uninstall Norton be aware their uninstaller doesn't remove all stuff correctly. They have a seperate util for that on their website, which cleans up after uninstall (rnav and some other program).

The message about having javascript disabled while you haven't done that in your browser would seem to point to your firewall being over-protective.

Comment

My money's on security software screwing it up.

Go here:

Remove Norton, then find something better!

My personal view, not that of AW!

L

Comment

In case you want to test it and remain safe, there are free virus-scanners; AVG or Avast for example. For firewalls try Comodo. Those programs might not be exactly to your needs but should help to test at least if Norton is the guilty program.

The main problem I have with both McAfee and Norton (*not* their Symantec line for business btw) is that they tend to do things without telling you.

Btw. do run the regular Add/Remove uninstall before using the removal tool, slightly cleaner And be prepared to reboout your systeem at least four times; norton-1, norton-remove-tool,anti-virus, firewall.

Have fun

Btw. Lesley, lots of bad experiences with Norton stuff I gather??

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley View Post
                                                          Remove Norton, then find something better!

My personal view, not that of AW!
                                                          I've been using Kaspersky, seems to sit nicely in the background and doesn't get in the way. Also, despite the horrid places I visit I haven't gotten any nasty viruses.
                                                          Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by arsby View Post
                                                            I've been using Kaspersky, seems to sit nicely in the background and doesn't get in the way. Also, despite the horrid places I visit I haven't gotten any nasty viruses.
                                                            Yet.
                                                            You're just not trying hard enough.
                                                            I know some some really nasty places!

I hate Norton, it causes so much grief here at AW support.
                                                            And then some folk wonder why I have an iMac and Linux...

L

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X