Slow server or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow server or what?

I was wondering if anybody else was having problem with a slow server. Ever since this morning I've been having problem reaching AW site, it takes about 5 to 10 minutes to upload the pages, and when I'm on the site it's the same problem accessing individual models or pages.

I took a bandwith test speed and here is what I get ; NL: 28 KB/s USA: 40 Kb/s - 320 Kbps
    usually I get USA: 277 KB/s - 2216 Kbps

It's really very painful to browse the site and even the forums.

Anyone has an answer ????

Regular speed on both NL and US here.

I think your local connection has a problem, try this (from FAQ) : "A better test is to try visiting http://www.ishotmyself.com (browse their tour, download a sample video - link opens in new window). Apart from being an excellent site and good friends of ours, they host with the same company as us. If they are "fast", and we're "slow", there's a good chance there is a problem on abbywinters.com itself. If they are slow and we're slow, there's a problem with the connection between you and us, but it's (probably!) not us."

Comment

I just tried to download Chloe's new videos. The first one froze with just 4MB remaining. I will try again.

Comment

And I had similar problems:
        Mostly in the evening, Central European Time, CET, I try to download some of the larger files, and my download-velocity is not reached: My highest download velocity is up to 358MB/s (=2Mbit/s) and the highest rate, I can reach sometimes in the evening, is 120 (or so) MB. So, the download need three times the time, I usually need.
        (By the way: In the early morning, I have always my 358MB)
        But that is not the worst observation. Sometimes, when the download rates are low, suddenly, the stream interrupts at all, sending a popup-message: Download of this file not possible (or something like that).
        I am angry then, as you can imagine, especially, when 90% of the file is already 'in my box'....

"Abby, we have a problem!"

"Fix it!" (little joke,...sorry)

Traumschiff_2

Comment

Originally posted by traumschiff_2 View Post
          "Abby, we have a problem!"

"Fix it!" (little joke,...sorry)
          Traumschiff you are using the NL/Europe mirror as well I think? (check in your myAW page).

The Europe mirrors (NL) have been a bit too busy. They are to be upgraded this week, which should take care of most problems.

Comment

@Frans...
            Yes, right!
            Thank you!

The Ship

Comment

The European mirror should no longer cause problems. If it does, you can report that using the feedback form, be sure to mention you are using the EU mirror.

Happy downloading!

Btw. do feel free to report here if all works well, that's always good to hear

Comment

The connection is fast, but if I would add a pic to my favourite list, it needs 1 or 2 minutes sometimes. Is it possible, that my list is to large ?

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian View Post
                  The connection is fast, but if I would add a pic to my favourite list, it needs 1 or 2 minutes sometimes. Is it possible, that my list is to large ?
                  Yes that is possible, how large is it?

Comment

ca 900 pics

Comment

ca 900 pics
                      Should be fine, if I remember correctly up to 2000 items should work.

I just added one pic to one of my lists (which are much smaller though) and that worked fine. Do you have 'adding items to list' setting (myAW) on 'quiet' or 'noisy' ? Can you pinpoint where in the adding-pic-to-list process the slowness most occurs?

I'd recommend trying adding a pic to the same list again tomorrow. If it's still slow you might want to send a message via feedback so tech support can look into it. If so, please include the name of your list.

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                        Should be fine, if I remember correctly up to 2000 items should work.

I just added one pic to one of my lists (which are much smaller though) and that worked fine. Do you have 'adding items to list' setting (myAW) on 'quiet' or 'noisy' ? Can you pinpoint where in the adding-pic-to-list process the slowness most occurs?

I'd recommend trying adding a pic to the same list again tomorrow. If it's still slow you might want to send a message via feedback so tech support can look into it. If so, please include the name of your list.

Thank you for helping , i have just one private list, i thought it could be a programming language problem, i don't know PHP or something, C++ is sometimes a little bit more effective. Maybe I should split my pic list, it's really hard to delete a pic, just to make the list smaller, if you know , what i mean ;-)

Comment

Do you have 'adding items to list' setting (myAW) on 'quiet' or 'noisy' ?
                          I haven't really got into lists yet and have never understood what "quiet" or "noisy" means.. is it yuppy-speak for "private" or "public"?

Comment

Originally posted by frontfoot View Post
                            I haven't really got into lists yet and have never understood what "quiet" or "noisy" means.. is it yuppy-speak for "private" or "public"?
                            No

Read the myAW FAQ page which explains it neatly. Mainly the 'quiet' setting just adds the item to the list and returns you to said item. The 'noisy' options lets you edit description of the added item.

Comment

Thank you for helping , i have just one private list, i thought it could be a programming language problem, i don't know PHP or something, C++ is sometimes a little bit more effective. Maybe I should split my pic list, it's really hard to delete a pic, just to make the list smaller, if you know , what i mean ;-)
                              If anything it would be a database problem But those limits have been tested a year ago or so, hence the 2000 number being a save maximum.
                              Last edited by Frans; 19 January 2008, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I understand Meridian about adding pictures to the list is very slow. It is for me also whether it's for a private list of site lists. It's also slow changing from one page to the other or accessing a shoot. Even connecting to the site is slow. Only browsing through the forums is fast these days.

Comment

Originally posted by casgrain View Post
                                  I understand Meridian about adding pictures to the list is very slow. It is for me also whether it's for a private list of site lists. It's also slow changing from one page to the other or accessing a shoot. Even connecting to the site is slow. Only browsing through the forums is fast these days.
                                  For me only adding items to lists is slow. I've asked Willow to look into that.

Connecting to the site and browsing shoots is fast for me. What is slow for you when viewing a shoot, the page itself or the pictures on it?

Comment

Connecting to the site and browsing shoots is fast for me. What is slow for you when viewing a shoot, the page itself or the pictures on it?
                                    Both !!!

Comment

Originally posted by casgrain View Post
                                      Both !!!
                                      Ah..

Did you try viewing the ISM tour to see if it's only AW or possible your connection?

As described here :

"A better test is to try visiting http://www.ishotmyself.com (browse their tour, download a sample video - link opens in new window). Apart from being an excellent site and good friends of ours, they host with the same company as us. If they are "fast", and we're "slow", there's a good chance there is a problem on abbywinters.com itself. If they are slow and we're slow, there's a problem with the connection between you and us, but it's (probably!) not us."

Comment

I visited that site and took the tour and pages come up very fast compare to here. I didn't try downloading videos because I don't have a problem with that. It seems that my connection is fairly good so I guess it must be this site.
                                        Last edited by casgrain; 19 January 2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

For me only adding items to lists is slow. I've asked Willow to look into that.

Its slow when I work with the lists. Browsing shoots ok. Downloading zip and video is ok. Tried the bandwidth test on "My AW" and ok.

Comment

maybe these are different servers (browsing for pics and editing the list), i'm not in the mood to trace or ping or somewhat, it's a lovely side and I just want to see the girls

Comment

@Frans, Luxman,...or whoever...

Sorry, to molest you, ladies and gentlemen....and with a problem, which is 10.000 miles away from Australia...
                                              but the MEDIA-GOLD-NL-server has again the old problem: It was today, Sunday, the 27th, about 1 p.m. CET.
                                              I wanted to download the Sahara/Julia video, and the load velocity went up and down around so about 60KB per sec (normal is 357KB/s with my broadband access).

Don't misunderstad this as a complaint, I mean this as an information.
                                              (By the way: The mentioned video is -with one word: unique!, 5 Stars!!)

I mean, you should think about to change over to another server....

Many greetings-

Traumschiff_2

Comment

There are currently network issues with the data center (which are out of our control) that are causing issues which would explain the slowness your seeing. Please be patience whilst they resolve the issues.

On other news; a week ago we added four new servers to our cluster and on Friday we released a new content delivery platform which will allow us to scale up alot better in the future - you may have noticed the URL's for downloading files are different? Anyhow we have plently of server capacity at present.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                Working...
                                                X