• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiff IM wont play in vlc?

VLC doesn't like the audio codec in Tiff's IM WMV
    Last edited by Frans; 21 January 2008, 08:05 PM. Reason: link added

Originally posted by konvert View Post
    VLC doesn't like the audio codec in the WMV
    Could you try downloading it again? This wmv has the same audio codec as all others (Windows Media Audio 9, stream 0: wmal 48000 Hz, 1152 kb/s)

Which version of VLC are you using? I tested with 0.8.6d

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
      Could you try downloading it again? This wmv has the same audio codec as all others (Windows Media Audio 9, stream 0: wmal 48000 Hz, 1152 kb/s)
      Well all the others play fine, and report a different codec. eg: g_cleo_indianavid1.wmv has Codec: wma2
      As you state, this one reports wmal

Which version of VLC are you using? I tested with 0.8.6d
      It's a 0.9.0 development snapshot dated 20080117

Comment

Originally posted by konvert View Post
        Well all the others play fine, and report a different codec. eg: g_cleo_indianavid1.wmv has Codec: wma2
        As you state, this one reports wmal

It's a 0.9.0 development snapshot dated 20080117
        Ah yes, I did try the 0.9.0 but it has issues shall we say. Any reason you'd want that one? I recommend sticking with 0.8.6 for now (even if WMV seeking is slow to catch up on a full-screen). Are you on Linux or Windows ?

This audio-stream has a weird high bitrate (1152) and it's VBR as opposed to the usual CBR. Maybe that is why the 0.9.0 (which is a debug build if you downloaded it precompiled, such builds very quickly refuse weird stuff by design) has problems with it? I can play it fine on Windows XP using 0.8.6d.
        Last edited by Frans; 21 January 2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Moved relevant messages to tech support forum.

Please try vlc 0.8.6. as that would be easiest solution.

Comment

Thanks for reporting this. A properly encoded version will be available within 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by willow View Post
              Thanks for reporting this. A properly encoded version will be available within 24 hours.
              My Windows Media Player and older vlc both simply played the file I figured vbr audio was something new, ah well.. just as long as we can watch and hear Tiff

Comment

Ah yes, I did try the 0.9.0 but it has issues shall we say. Any reason you'd want that one? I recommend sticking with 0.8.6 for now (even if WMV seeking is slow to catch up on a full-screen). Are you on Linux or Windows ?

This audio-stream has a weird high bitrate (1152) and it's VBR as opposed to the usual CBR. Maybe that is why the 0.9.0 (which is a debug build if you downloaded it precompiled, such builds very quickly refuse weird stuff by design) has problems with it? I can play it fine on Windows XP using 0.8.6d.
                I'm on Linux. I was using 0.9.0 because it was the latest version in Gentoo's portage. I downgraded to 0.8.6d, and with that version I don't get any video or audio at all

Thanks willow!

Comment

The re-encoded file has just entered the final stage of our release pipeline and should be available on the site in about three hours from now.

Comment

Originally posted by willow View Post
                    The re-encoded file has just entered the final stage of our release pipeline and should be available on the site in about three hours from now.
                    Now THAT is fast service

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                    Working...
                    X