Observation about GG videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observation about GG videos

This is a minor technical quibble, and not intended to criticize whoever is currently doing the edits on the videos. But I've been noticing a decline in the general quality of the transitions.

To speak plainly, the cuts kind of suck. Each video just sort of seems to stop in the middle, sometimes almost literally in the middle of the action.

In previous years, the fades and wipes were a little more organic, maintaining the general flow. I don't know who used to do this (I should, I just don't), but it's obvious that the torch has been passed. Video editing is a subtle art, and it may just be a case of lack of experience, but it interferes with the overall feel.

I know it's minor. It's just, well, it interrupts the action, sometimes, and takes away from the overall impression, at least to me.

Examples?

Comment

Can't speak for the management, but I suspect that the purpose in the recent videos is to make it practical for users to join them into a single video file, or play them in sequence without interruption. Notice that the blur-in/blur-out effects are gone, and the model's names, which used to appear in the center of the screen, now appear discreetly at the bottom corner.

I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine that if you joined the files together, you'd get the effect of a single video.

So why aren't the files distributed as one large file? That I don't know. Maybe it's just what we're used to, and maybe some people only want certain segments and not others (like the interviews).

Comment

Hi Nimrod. Need you to give us some really practical examples, both of recent "bad" ones, and the older "good" ones, so we can identify specifically what you mean.

It may be a change in policy within the company, a change in personal style of an editor, natural variation between videos, or just you yearning for the old days

Comment

Originally posted by MightySpork View Post
          I suspect that the purpose in the recent videos is to make it practical for users to join them into a single video file, or play them in sequence without interruption. Notice that the blur-in/blur-out effects are gone, and the model's names, which used to appear in the center of the screen, now appear discreetly at the bottom corner.
          All true but I suspect Nimrod is talking about the place/time of the cuts, not so much HOW they're done. And yeah you can join the files into one movie more easily now. Without the need to cut out the intro-frames per clip.

That results in some 600-700Mb files. Which could be somewhat impractical for people to download in one go.

Comment

It was decided some time ago to just have a fade at the begin of video one and at the end of the last video.

This is to avoid people who put the videos together having a fade-out and a fade-in at every junction.

We try to the split always between two takes, never within a take, but because there's so much action in GG videos it always looks somehow weird to have a sudden stop.

Putting all into one single file would result in huge files that would be a real challenge to download.

Lxm
            Last edited by Frans; 28 January 2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman View Post
              It was decided some time ago to just have a fade at the begin of video one and at the end of the last video.

This is to avoid people who put the videos together having a fade-out and a fade-in at every junction.

We try to the split always between two takes, never within a take, but because there's so much action in GG videos it always looks somehow weird to have a sudden stop.

Putting all into one single file would result in huge files that would be a real challenge to download.

Lxm
              Thanks Lux, and all the rest. Sounds reasonable, and yeah, when I reassembled one into a single video it made a bit more sense.

And you're right, Abby. I'm just stuck in nostalgia land. I'll get over it.

Comment

Strangely enough i was thinking this earlier today while watching julia b and sahara,it's the end of each segment,instead of the fade out it just stops still,it kind of looks unprofessional,the fade outs always worked.

Comment

For GG I always download all the clips from a shoot and then use ‘Play All’ from the play options in windows. If there is fade in and out for each clip it doesn’t play well with ‘Play All’. Just a pref but I prefer only having a fade in at the start of clip one and out at the end of the last clip.

RR

Comment

Originally posted by rachelred View Post
                    Just a pref but I prefer only having a fade in at the start of clip one and out at the end of the last clip.RR
                    Me too. It always used to annoy the hell out of me, after joining videos together, to have those fadeout/fadein buts
                    in the middle.

takochan

Comment

I couldn't care less where you clip the scenes because I'm too hung up on the lack of variety in camera angles. You mainly get two options - close up 'down unda' and close up of face and upper body. By all means, do your close-ups... but throw in some footage from other angles, such as: 'perv in closet', 'fly on wall', 'cam in ceiling fan'... or just back up a few feet. From another angle, I bet Nadine (w/Melita) would've looked hot with her feet in the air.

It all looks the same from 6 inches.

Comment

You guys are so funny! I love listening to your banter!

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                        Working...
                        X