A posting question (how to move text)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A posting question (how to move text)

I just posted on a thread and after writing (and quoting) a lengthy missive, I decided it would be better to have my last paragraph become my first paragraph. So I had to rewrite the entire paragraph again at the beginning of the post. Is there any way to move a sentence or paragraph that you write from one position in the post to another without having to rewrite it (and delete the other one)? In other words, are there any "move commands"?

Hi Laktor,

I was tossing and turning and not sleeping well so I woke up just to answer your question.

It sounds like you are looking for Copy, Cut and Paste. I mention Copy, but it doesn't really apply in your case because you don't want to duplicate text.

Copying works with much of the text on a web page. Pasting and Cutting only work where you have write access (like this text box I am typing in now). To Copy or Cut: left click one corner (first or last makes no real difference) and hold that click while dragging the mouse pointer to the opposite corner and then releasing the mouse button. You have just "highlighted" the text.

Next, use Control-c (or Cmd-c on mac) to COPY the text or Control-x (mac Cmd-x) to CUT the text. Copy leaves the text on the page and Cut will remove it, but both will remember what the text was.

Finally move to the new location and click to set the position then use Control-v (Cmd-v for mac) to insert the remember text into the new location.

Cut and paste is the equivalent of MOVE and Copy and paste do a COPY. You can remember the keys because C is for Copy, X is like a sissors and Cuts and v is like a pointer on where to insert.

These keystrokes work all over graphical interfaces (Windoze, Linux, Mac....) in lots of places like word processors, editors, command lines, web pages and the like. Sometimes messages are "copyable" and sometimes not.

HTH, SpigBud

If that wasn't enough fun for you here is something else you can try.

"Highlight" the text as outlined above and then click and hold any place over the highlighted text. Now you can drag the text to wherever you want within the writable area you have on the page. When you release the mouse button it will put the text in that location. This would have worked in your case to move the paragraph to a new location. This is a little trickier to use and not every application supports it. Copy, Cut and Paste are more universal.

Also in some cases in Windoze you can hold the control key when you drag and drop and you will get a copy instead of a move.

OK, now I did it TMI. Oh well that is BigSpud.
    Last edited by BigSpud; 2 February 2008, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks BigSpud for getting up in the middle of the night to help lil ol me! I've used cut and paste, also copy before, but for some reason I was thinking of a MOVE command in this case as I've used that somewhere in the past but can't remember when. But for copy and cut/paste I click on my edit at the top for the drag down menu and if those functions can be done, they are highlighted. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not which can leave me confused as to why they are available and sometimes not. Anyway, I usually finally manage to get done what I want. So thanks for the help, guy!

Comment

The copy/cut functions become available after you have selected (marked) text. The paste function becomes available after you have copy/cut anything.

There is no 'move' command, nor can you drag text around. You might be confused with Microsoft Office applications like Word or Excel?
        Last edited by Frans; 2 February 2008, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
          ... nor can you drag text around...
          I just tested this and you can...

L

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley View Post
            Indeed you can, I also remembered why I don't use it more often.. a pain to position the text correctly

Comment

Indeed you can, I also remembered why I don't use it more often.. a pain to position the text correctly
              I don't use it either!

L

Comment

Very true. that's why I don't use it either. I assumed that difficulty was due to being on a mac because when I have used it in Windoze (not in a browser) the cursor was an I-beam and very easy to get it exact.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSpud View Post
                  Very true. that's why I don't use it either. I assumed that difficulty was due to being on a mac because when I have used it in Windoze (not in a browser) the cursor was an I-beam and very easy to get it exact.
                  Nope, I tried it on XP and Leopard and it was rubbish in both!

L

Comment

on XP and Leod both and it was rubbish in !

LNope, I tried it
                    par

much easier to get the position in Opera on XP than on the mac. It is really easy in Word and other editors I have used on the PC. And totally unavailable in others.

Comment

L
                      I've highlighted and non-highlighted text and I can't move or drag text anywhere, so I don't know what you're all talking about. How are you managing to drag text? No matter where I position my arrow and click, the text can't be dragged. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

OK editing the post works!

On my Mac I can highlight the text and drag it to move the line around
                        As I've just pointed out in the other thread, for some reason, I can't highlight and drag. What are you guys doing that I'm not? Does anyone know why I can't highlight and drag? I have a Dell desktop computer and I'm using Firefox. Anyone out there have the same equipment as myself and can drag?
                        Last edited by laktor; 2 February 2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laktor View Post
                          As I've just pointed out in the other thread, for some reason, I can't highlight and drag. What are you guys doing that I'm not? Does anyone know why I can't highlight and drag? I have a Dell desktop computer and I'm using Firefox. Anyone out there have the same equipment as myself and can drag?
                          Yes, I have a Dell (the best there is ), and I'm using Firefox, and I can drag and drop. You just use the left mouse button to highlight the area you want to move, then left-click and hold it to move it where you want to drop it. I do it all the time lak. I don't know what might be causing the problem on your system. My computer is an older 3.06 Ghz Pentium 4, running Windows XP Home.

Comment

I've highlighted and non-highlighted text and I can't move or drag text anywhere, so I don't know what you're all talking about. How are you managing to drag text? No matter where I position my arrow and click, the text can't be dragged. What am I doing wrong?
                            Once you have the text highlighted, you need to left-click somewhere in the highlighted text and hold the mouse button down...don't let the mouse button go till you've dragged the text where you want it. Once you've dragged the text and placed it where you want it, let go of the mouse button.

Comment

Originally posted by Dekoda View Post
                              Yes, I have a Dell (the best there is ), and I'm using Firefox, and I can drag and drop. You just use the left mouse button to highlight the area you want to move, then left-click and hold (emphasis by SpigBud) it to move it where you want to drop it. I do it all the time lak. I don't know what might be causing the problem on your system. My computer is an older 3.06 Ghz Pentium 4, running Windows XP Home.
                              The key to all dragging operations is to click and hold (as in don't let that little button loose till you get where you want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSpud View Post
                                The key to all dragging operations is to click and hold (as in don't let that little button loose till you get where you want to go.
                                Ok, at first when I tried to do this and even after reading this post, all I could get was a black circle with a line across which I assume means that "you can't do this". Then when I tried to highlight and drag from the middle of the highlighted text up or down, I got a tiny "square" symbol and I could move this "square" and lo and behold, I could actually let go of the mouse and moved the text, although it is difficult to get it exactly where I want it, unless I practice more. I was expecting to actually be able to see the text as I'm dragging it, but I just get that little square symbol. Is that what you guys get when you highlight and drag?

Comment

I was expecting to actually be able to see the text as I'm dragging it, but I just get that little square symbol. Is that what you guys get when you highlight and drag?
                                  Yes, that's what we get also.

Comment

... I was expecting to actually be able to see the text as I'm dragging it, ...
                                    Ah yes, some applications will show you the text, but it actually gets in the way unless the application moves everything else out of the way. I have seen that too and it is VERY busy and processor intensive.

Dragging things around takes some practice, but it is worth the effort because it is SO useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dekoda View Post
                                      Once you have the text highlighted, you need to left-click somewhere in the highlighted text and hold the mouse button down...don't let the mouse button go till you've dragged the text where you want it. Once you've dragged the text and placed it where you want it, let go of the mouse button.
                                      Dekoda, I've answered this in the other thread. Of course I know about highlighting and dragging. Wouldn't you think I would have tried this several times? As I said in Lesley's thread, I could only manage to get a black circle with a line through it indicating that "you cannot do this". But finally, I tried to drag the text from the middle of the highlighted area and finally, and I do mean finally, got a tiny, tiny square and moved that square to a location before letting go and the text actually was moved. However, you cannot view the text as it is moving. You only see the tiny square moving. Is this what should be happening?

Comment

Dekoda, I've answered this in the other thread. Of course I know about highlighting and dragging. Wouldn't you think I would have tried this several times? As I said in Lesley's thread, I could only manage to get a black circle with a line through it indicating that "you cannot do this". But finally, I tried to drag the text from the middle of the highlighted area and finally, and I do mean finally, got a tiny, tiny square and moved that square to a location before letting go and the text actually was moved. However, you cannot view the text as it is moving. You only see the tiny square moving. Is this what should be happening?
                                        Yes.

Comment

Merged the non-testing-replies from the TEST thread in here, hopefully it makes duplicating answer less needed

Comment

Merged the non-testing-replies from the TEST thread in here, hopefully it makes duplicating answer less needed
                                            Thanks Frans, I was trying to answer the question here to find it posted in the other thread, so I'd try to answer it there only to find it moved back here.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                            Working...
                                            X