Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luxman... a question about a purchase

Hi there my fine bearded BMW friend!

So a very big rogue wave ate my camera. I have to get a new one as it was not submersible like many cameras. It wasn't a great loss just a Canon A610 and I did manage to bind my ankles enough to stop the Caribbean from sucking into Davey Jones locker. This was the actual rogue wave that my friends shot as it rolled in. I was ok, they aren't that big.

The digi card was fine - the camera is now toast and I was humbled by the wave.
    Now I need to get another idiot proof camera. Is this ok for $335 USD/CDN - we are at par so it doesn't matter on the foreign exchange so much.
    I need a stupid proof camera, so is this good value?
    canon

Thanks Lux,

rt...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Randomthoughts; 15 March 2008, 11:40 PM. Reason: error

You might want to consider adding something like this to your purchase?

Click image for larger version

Name:	case.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	622176

Comment

I was getting the SX100is (cheaper version) and there was no case available. The links says this is for a S1 and I will ask if an S5 will fit! good price though

Gee thanks Frans!

rt...

Comment

You might want to check it out here. At the top, in the box that says "Introduction", you can select a variety of pages to view. The conclusion is a short synopsis of the entire review of the camera.

Comment

Or, says smartass Artlover, you could avoid shooting in the ocean.

Seriously, I looked at your link, and the feature that caught my eye is Image Stabilization. This is a godsend for folks like me who have shaky hands.

Good luck with your next purchase...

Comment

Just brought it home now...It is much heavier than I thought but I like the swivel view screen and IS.
            I actually set the camera down with my shirt quite far away from the surf. I live in a land locked place and was unaware that wave anomalies occur when I am having fun.
            This camera seems simple! and I got it a bit cheaper on a price match sale.
            I think I upset Lux on the Mac comment I made a while ago hence his lack of feedback?

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by Randomthoughts View Post
              Just brought it home now...It is much heavier than I thought but I like the swivel view screen and IS.
              I actually set the camera down with my shirt quite far away from the surf. I live in a land locked place and was unaware that wave anomalies occur when I am having fun.
              This camera seems simple! and I got it a bit cheaper on a price match sale.
              I think I upset Lux on the Mac comment I made a while ago hence his lack of feedback?
              Congratulations for your purchase.

I think you made a good choice. I'm sorry for not replying before, but when I read your question I had no time to reply.

I'm surely not upset my friend!

Lxn

Comment

Originally posted by artlover View Post

Seriously, I looked at your link, and the feature that caught my eye is Image Stabilization. This is a godsend for folks like me who have shaky hands.
                One thing that you can do if you have shakey hands is to invest in a cheap, small tripod like the one shown. Click image for larger version

Name:	tripod.JPG
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	622183I have this tripod (I got it at Best Buy for under $20) and the legs pull out like a portable radio antenna so that it reaches a height of around 50 inches. Collapsed it fits in my small camera bag. What I do is to attach the camera to the tripod, then put the camera strap around my neck. I then place the tripod's legs against my chest/stomach, adjusting their length so that the camera is right in front of my face. Once I have the legs adjusted, the camera/tripod is now sitting against my upper torso, which steadies it. I get very little shake using this setup, and since it's not sitting on the ground, it's as portable as if you were just using the camera alone.

The other, even cheaper setup is to buy an eyebolt with the same thread that your camera has on it's mount (usually 1/4-20 thread), then tie a piece of rope in the eye of the bolt and make a loop in the other end of the rope.Click image for larger version

Name:	eye bolt.jpg
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	622184 Make the rope about five feet long from bolt to loop. Screw the bolt into the camera threads, then put the loop end of the rope on the ground and hold in down with your foot. By pulling up on the camera until the rope gets tight, the camera will cease to shake. This setup is commercially available for like $20 but you can make it for less than that.
                Last edited by Dekoda; 15 March 2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks all!
                  Luxman NEVER gets upset.....

But he has been known to get even

Comment

Originally posted by Dekoda View Post
                    One thing that you can do if you have shakey hands is to invest in a cheap, small tripod like the one shown. [ATTACH]10085[/ATTACH]I have this tripod (I got it at Best Buy for under $20) and the legs pull out like a portable radio antenna so that it reaches a height of around 50 inches. Collapsed it fits in my small camera bag. What I do is to attach the camera to the tripod, then put the camera strap around my neck. I then place the tripod's legs against my chest/stomach, adjusting their length so that the camera is right in front of my face. Once I have the legs adjusted, the camera/tripod is now sitting against my upper torso, which steadies it. I get very little shake using this setup, and since it's not sitting on the ground, it's as portable as if you were just using the camera alone.

The other, even cheaper setup is to buy an I-bolt with the same thread that your camera has on it's mount (usually 1/4-20 thread), then tie a piece of rope in the eye of the bolt and make a loop in the other end of the rope.[ATTACH]10087[/ATTACH] Make the rope about five feet long from bolt to loop. Screw the bolt into the camera threads, then put the loop end of the rope on the ground and hold in down with your foot. By pulling up on the camera until the rope gets tight, the camera will cease to shake. This setup is commercially available for like $20 but you can make it for less than that.
                    Wow! Great idea Doinel, never thought of something like that. Now I get to make a trip to the hardware store (my favorite shopping emporium) tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by alexbee View Post
                      Wow! Great idea Doinel, never thought of something like that. Now I get to make a trip to the hardware store (my favorite shopping emporium) tomorrow!
                      Ehm, you probably mean Dekoda...

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman View Post
                        Ehm, you probably mean Dekoda...

Lxm
                        That's okay, he was close enough....they both begin with a "D".

Comment

Originally posted by BigSpud View Post
                          Luxman NEVER gets upset.....

But he has been known to get even
                          Good to hear from you, Biga-roni -Spuddatoni

He is just busy and stuff. It will pass- like the demands for Mac...

rt...

Comment

I wuz still celebratin' me 2000th post lads!!!

Comment

Good to hear from you, Biga-roni -Spuddatoni

He is just busy and stuff. It will pass- like the demands for Mac...

rt...
                              True. I don't dare mention that I retired my Mac Mini.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                              Working...
                              X