Unexpected download problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected download problem

I've just bought a MacBook (in addition to my bi iMac), and for some reason I can't fathom am getting ridiculously low dowload speeds — less than 10KBS!!! — with both Safari and Firefox, as well as with iGetter. I've had better download speeds on dialup.

I'm not having this problem on the iMac, so I can still download easily, but having this lousy performance on the laptop is infuriating as well as incomprehensible. Clues, anyone?

凧ちゃん

Downloads slow from all sites or just AW

MacBook wired to network or wireless?

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
      Downloads slow from all sites or just AW
      From everywhere

Originally posted by Frans View Post
      MacBook wired to network or wireless?
      Wireless.

t

Comment

I'd suspect a problem with the wireless part, can you test wired ? If it IS a wireless problem I still can't help you though, not a Mac expert here

Comment

Thanks for the hint. I'll explore that possibility.

t

Comment

I am a Mac enthusiast so....

Are you using a Mac Airport or another make of router?

If there is interference on the wireless, lots of other APIs nearby or other equipment it can make the WiFi run slow. Try changing the channel.

L

Comment

The Network Untility app may shed some light on your problem
              Its located:
              applications/utilities/network utility

L

Comment

I too am a Mac enthusiast, and down loads are pathetic at the moment.Speeds start at a good rate but after several seconds the number drops right down to about 40KB/sec, taking a 230MB movie over 2 hours to download.
                It is not the net work's problem (checked) as all other sites work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by aw2844 View Post
                  I too am a Mac enthusiast, and down loads are pathetic at the moment.Speeds start at a good rate but after several seconds the number drops right down to about 40KB/sec, taking a 230MB movie over 2 hours to download.
                  It is not the net work's problem (checked) as all other sites work fine.
                  You need to run a trace route so we can see where the problem is:

L

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                  Working...
                  X