Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h.264 / .mp4 videos!

Here's the place to discuss it!

I really like the idea as it allows better quality vids at more manageable sizes. However, I do hope that announcements are made when older vids are reissued in the new format.

Comment

Hi sevvenine

By way of announcement, they're in the video gallery, here (also on the "pics & vids" menu -> "video gallery"):

Lep
      customer support

Comment

I see that, thanks. However, even with "Last (or 'Late') Update" sorting, the vids are currently ordered according to their original release dates instead of when the new format vids are uploaded. Also, since now there are high quality and high definition vids, I suggest tagging them accordingly, just as extra large photos are so tagged.

Comment

The HQ mp4s are so sexy; so beautiful. A great decision to include them.

However, it would be really nice to get a list of all of the shoots which will be updated to have these really nice looking videos, so I can update my archives accordingly, and not have to check each one individually.

Just a thought. Thanks.

-Infernice.
          Last edited by Infernice; 19 December 2008, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Hmmm...well, the mp4 version works fine, but the HQ mp4 version, when it opens up in my VLC media player, it only takes up part of my screen, meaning you can see the previous page I was viewing. I'm unable to move it over at all, so I can't get to the controls to FF the video, or even stop it by X ing it out. Wonder why this happens?

Comment

Gabriela in HQ, hmmm hmmm hmmm

When will be get the second Jemina shoot in HQ/HD please?

Rob.

Comment

Oh, and Lea is there too

Rob.

Comment

I think the mp4 is a great move forward - same quality/lower size or alternately more quality/same size leaves little to be desired (technically, of course ). Hopefully my favorite shots will appear in mp4 ... (e.g. all of Dom's vids)

Comment

Originally posted by sevvenine View Post
                    "Last (or 'Late') Update"
                    Ha. Good catch on the typo. I've fixed it.

WaffyW
                    Programmer

Comment

Like the other contributors I welcome the advent of h.264 / .mp4 videos, a good decision.

tom

Comment

Nice idea, but please somehow reduce the number of download choices on the screen. It's a bit much to see FIVE download links for the same video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vidchoices.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	626624

Don't have any ideas for it though.

Comment

thanks Frans - very helpful!

As I mentioned on the news page, we'll be removing MPG soon. We'll keep the others, tho. I'd love to ditch WMV, cos mp4 is so cool, but I expect many people will not be willing to make the time investment in getting mp4's working, until it's an "out-of-the-box" thing.

Comment

How about a pop-up menu to chose the file format instead of separate links?

Lxm

Comment

I also think it's a bit confusing to have two "High Quality" labels for the MP4 files.
                              One should be "Standard Quality" in my eyes.

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by laktor View Post
                                Hmmm...well, the mp4 version works fine, but the HQ mp4 version, when it opens up in my VLC media player, it only takes up part of my screen, meaning you can see the previous page I was viewing. I'm unable to move it over at all, so I can't get to the controls to FF the video, or even stop it by X ing it out. Wonder why this happens?
                                Possibly not completely downloaded the file? Check filesize. What version of VLC are you using? Help -> About, the number in the top line (something with "VLC media player ..." that number.

Could be your computer is too slow for the HQ files, assuming you run Windows XP do a right-click on the taskbar and choose 'task manager' then minimize the task manager that pops up. This will give you a vertical indicator in your systray (usually lower right of the screen) which moves up/down depending on how much you use the system's processor.

Start HQ movie in vlc and check where the meter stays at, ignore the initial spike.

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman View Post
                                  I also think it's a bit confusing to have two "High Quality" labels for the MP4 files.
                                  One should be "Standard Quality" in my eyes.
                                  That won't work if you also use SQ for wmv's. Ideally people wouldn't have to know what type codec their download is, only have big the file and what the quality is. The trouble with HD/HiDef is, that it is an established term so we *want* to use that for sure. Hmm.. we have (ignoring Flash) in order of quality;

MPG
                                  H264 LQ
                                  WMV SQ
                                  H264 HQ
                                  H264 HiDef

Now what to call the 'H264 HQ' so it's position is still clear but it isn't confused with the HiDef...

Comment

I had some problems ,but I fixed them ,seems like a good solution for the future

Comment

All this reminds me of the DivX problems a few years back.
                                      Not that that helps of course...

L

Comment

Finally!

Thank you !!
                                        Thank you !!
                                        Thank you !!
                                        Thank you !!

I have been asking for HD content since what, two years ago. Very pleased about this. It will especially benefit IM shoots where the camera's not exactly close up..

Very good. You got my subscription for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                                          Nice idea, but please somehow reduce the number of download choices on the screen. It's a bit much to see FIVE download links for the same video.
                                          "A bit much" in what respect? Aesthetically, perhaps, but I think it makes it easier to see the choices, and that's really what options are about.

Comment

Great idea!! I wondered when AW would break into the HD world. Not to mention the mp4's work great with my iTunes without the need for conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by toeluvr View Post
                                              .... mp4's work great with my iTunes without the need for conversion!
                                              That is the winning feature for me too.

L

Comment

Originally posted by garionhall View Post
                                                thanks Frans - very helpful!

As I mentioned on the news page, we'll be removing MPG soon. We'll keep the others, tho. I'd love to ditch WMV, cos mp4 is so cool, but I expect many people will not be willing to make the time investment in getting mp4's working, until it's an "out-of-the-box" thing.
                                                I for one, would like to stick to WMV. Not only because of the investment but for the size of it. It means less vids for the same space and the downloading allowed by whoever we deal with before having to pay for extras.

Comment

Originally posted by casgrain View Post
                                                  I for one, would like to stick to WMV. Not only because of the investment but for the size of it. It means less vids for the same space and the downloading allowed by whoever we deal with before having to pay for extras.
                                                  Huh? Not sure entirely sure what you mean there?

H264 files are *smaller* for the same quality compared to WMV (because it compresses better). So if you get H264 to work for you, you could have the same video quality on at least half the filesize.

Also don't follow what you mean by 'pay for extras' ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley View Post
                                                    All this reminds me of the DivX problems a few years back.
                                                    Not that that helps of course...
                                                    There wasn't a single-download divx-player back then. VLC *will* play these vids all by itself. Or recommend people to get Mac ;-)

But yeah, I figured you would be thinking back to the divx era, heh.

Comment

Huh? Not sure entirely sure what you mean there?

H264 files are *smaller* for the same quality compared to WMV (because it compresses better). So if you get H264 to work for you, you could have the same video quality on at least half the filesize.

Also don't follow what you mean by 'pay for extras' ?
                                                      Judging by the picture above that you posted, H264 = 156.8 mb WMV=110.2, so I don't call that smaller.

Paying extra means that I'm allowed a certain amount of download, after I exceed I have to pay for the extra.

Comment

Originally posted by casgrain View Post
                                                        Judging by the picture above that you posted, H264 = 156.8 mb WMV=110.2, so I don't call that smaller.
                                                        That is the HQ H264 file, MUCH higher quality (if you like the current WMVs just fine, HQ/H264 is overkill for you prolly). To compare you would take the LQ H264 file vs. the SQ WMV file. The names are a bit confusing to me, but we'll get used to them I guess.

I would be interested in opinions of the difference between a LQ/H264 and SQ/WMV, it should be close.

Christen's shoot is nice but doesn't lend itself well to comparing due to the soft-focus of the video already. Well that's my opinion anyway Try the Beck & Lea tier3.

Comment

I would be interested in opinions of the difference between a LQ/H264 and SQ/WMV, it should be close.

Christen's shoot is nice but doesn't lend itself well to comparing due to the soft-focus of the video already. Well that's my opinion anyway Try the Beck & Lea tier3.
                                                          I did try a compare on Cristen's shoot, but the soft focus makes it a non starter. I will download some more files in all formats and have a look, when I can spare the bandwidth.

My Mac plays the MP4 files with no problems; not so my (virtual) Win XP box, doesn't want to know and I have not as yet installed VLC on the XP box.

Something for the weekend I think.

L

Comment

That is the HQ H264 file, MUCH higher quality (if you like the current WMVs just fine, HQ/H264 is overkill for you prolly). To compare you would take the LQ H264 file vs. the SQ WMV file. The names are a bit confusing to me, but we'll get used to them I guess.
                                                            I do not understand your comparisons. I tested 3 videos (Christen, Rebecca D and Hiking Girls) by downloading all the formats but FLV. It is clear that LQ MP4 is equivalent to MPG in terms of resolution (512x288) and quality. Surprisingly, I cannot see any difference between WMV and HQ MP4, even in full screen on a 1600x1200 21" LCD, while MP4 files are bigger ! I expected some improvement with HQ MP4 in bright outdoor scenes where we can see compression artifacts in WMV files but, frankly, I cannot see any improvement in Hiking Girls for example.

In my opinion, LQ MP4 will replace advantageously MPG but HQ MP4 has no interest compared with WMV of same quality/resolution and lower size.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X