AW Coder Diablo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Diablo,

Congratulations on the 1000 posts. The rate I type it will take me 5 years to get there. So you have done well.

I can't help you either. I have lived in the same house all my life except for some housesitting whilst friends have been overseas playing rugby for a few seasons. Did you live near the city in Perth or were you a suburban boy? If you are going to be using you new bike a fair bit why not get close to the city and not to far from Abby HQ then you can get use of the bike for work and make sure you get somewhere near to the bike ways so you do not slacken off with your fitness campaign.

I am sure someone here will be able to tell you the pros and cons of breaking your lease but you might need to wait a few days for a reply as you have hit the quiet time on the boards between Xmas and the NY. How long is left on the lease? Have second thoughts about not having antoher person in the spare room, I know it is not ideal for you but if they are contributing to the rent it will help to get rid of those debts quicker. Anyway now everytime you start getting uptight about it you can jump on the bike and go for a relaxing bike ride

As for not being able to get to Perth for now, I am going there for 6 days in the second week of January so I will experience the weather and the nightlife for you

Hoping you find a great place to be for the new year, if nothing gets arranged drag together a few people and make sure you get down to festival square or the Yarra for the fireworks and soak in the atmosphere of the big crowds.

oncall

Comment

Originally posted by artlover View Post
      Hey Diablo, congrats on your 1,000th post--I enjoy your artwork announcing it. Better screen-cap your message, 'cause once you make another post that magic number is gone forever!
      Art,

Notice you are not all that far from a milestone (kilometre stone) yourself !!!!

oncall

Comment

A 1000th posts already.. neat Hope you had a fun christmas in Melbourne, on the bright side; staying there helps getting to know people and get friends in this new city. Would you say there is a large difference between Perth and Melbourne during such festive things?

Getting as fit as Valerie is quite a target, heh.. that will keep you busy for some time to come. Any hilly terrain/tracks around?

About your house question; it largely depends on the person really. I life in a suburb, fairly close to city-center yet far enough away not get noisy stuff (i.e. I get to choose when I want to hear loud noise;-). That means I can get to the centre easily and quickly yet when I go to sleep at home I have peace and quiet. That implies you want silence at night though

The lease breaking is somewhat like this; ($lease_break_fee+(12*$new_place_rent))-(12*$current_place_rent) , now offset the difference calculated against what you WANT (also has value but tougher to calc;-). I.e. how much is it worth to you to have a smaller appartment (wouldn't recommend a small house, higher maintenance overall I would think, not sure what a 'unit' has to differ from 'appartment).

I have no idea of the availability of houses/appartments and types there-of around Melbourne though.

If you wanna work from home at times you'll need broadband/dsl of some sort which to my understanding isn't avail in 100% of Melbourne even now? Other stuff to consider is the neighbourhood (noise, security), where to park your car, distance to work (bike distance is better for your workouts;-).. lots of things to consider.

At least you got some things figured out due to the current lease/house you have, that's a start Good luck house hunting and happy new year in advance!

P.S. For some reason I thought that national flights within Aus. were fairly cheap, prolly got that mixed up with the USA though 'cos I just looked it up and a North->South flight is expensive.

-Frans

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
          Heh, I was expecting matchless would pick up on the 999 posts, and drum up the suspense, in more absurd upside-down ways!
          Congratulations Diablo In all honesty, I wasn't paying attention to your post count ... or mine. I have been watching Artlover's as it climbs to the big 4K mark (and I just noticed fransAW is close to One Grand) but I was totally unawares of where you were at. Nevertheless, it deserves acknowledgment as do your graphics

I don't have any advice about the house. I've always lived in apartments (when I wasn't living at my Mom or Dad's houses) and I'm very glad my current one has an extra room which I use as a library. I lived in the building next door five years before I moved in here (same style, same apartment space) but then I had a roommate and this room was my bedroom; I am much happier without the roommate (but the good thing is the friendship survived our year together.) Getting out of a lease won't be that bad if the landlord has enough notice (usually two months) to find another tenant. Look in your current lease for an escape clause. Having a smaller space will mean not noticing how little stuff you have and keep you from spending too much to try and furnish it but as you may have friends visiting you from Perth it would be a good idea to have at least an extra guest room.

Thanks for the general update on your life in the new city. It sounds like you're settling in nicely. I understand how and why you may be taking a little longer and hopefully you are introducing yourself to the right social groups, and by that I mean right for you Have a happy 2007!

Comment

Melinda Enters the Arena...

Ahhh well what do we have here then? So this is your pad Diablo... not bad, not bad at all... somewhat cosier than my place, but nice all the same, hehe.... no wonder I couldn't find this thread though, I was searching for "Diablo" in all the titles and the damn thing is simply called "New Coder" grrr, but I'll let you off Diablo since you didn't start this thread... so I hear (from you, lol) that you had a nice time at Tarra Bulga National Park on sunday, that's a great park, we went there a few months back, it's about a 40 minute drive from here, pretty windy roads on the way but they offer some pretty good views... ok, well just popped in to say hi, catchya later pal!

Luv Melinda

Comment

For Sale

Diablo my friend,
              thought I'd pop over and give you a little info so you don't die wondering.
              Sale was discovered by Angus McMillan in 1840. Sale grew from humble beginnings to become Gippslands first city. The first resident of Sale, then known as Flooding Creek, was Archibald McIntosh. McIntosh set up a store, forge and butchers shop making Flooded Creek a settlement.
              Flooding Creek was renamed Sale in 1850 after General Sir Robert Sale ( 1782-1845 ), a British Army infantry officer who fought with distinction under the Duke of Wellington in India and Afghanistan. Sale further developed around 1860 when it became the principal supply source for the gold rush at Omeo and surrounding areas. Between 1883 and 1890 a swing bridge and canal were built , opening up the town to shipping via the Gippsland Lakes. Then came the railway, the RAAF base and Bass Strait oil, all of which kicked along Sale to become the place it is today.
              Any more than a light shower of rain turns the whole area into a morass so it's original name suited it perfectly.
              so now you know.....
              pee

Comment

hey diablo, came here after i came to know about this on Melinda's thread.

nice history lesson peesoup

Diablo, you know whats the best part of your job ? you can visit abbywinters.com at work and also reply back to the boss, "hey i m just working "

Comment

Hey Jesse! Why did you delete that post? Well you were too slow because I saw it already, what a cheeky little rhyme... well as the mayor of the boards I believe you need your own thread Jesse and I am going to start one for you, I hope you will come check it out because I think everyone (especially me) would love to hear more from our resident customer support officer!

Luv Melinda

P.S. and where is Diablo, here we are all sitting around in his thread waiting for the host himself to arrive! lol...

Comment

Hheeheeheeeheee, Melinda sees ALL !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Melinda
                      P.S. and where is Diablo, here we are all sitting around in his thread waiting for the host himself to arrive! lol...
                      He's sitting here, watching all the action, but unable to respond until now because he's busy with a fair number of things (some of which you may or may not be aware of already)

Meanwhile, I'd like to give some encouragement for Jesse to re-post that poem, if he doesn't mind

Originally posted by nurdydude
                      Diablo, you know whats the best part of your job ? you can visit abbywinters.com at work and also reply back to the boss, "hey i m just working "
                      I actually have to review the content (imagesets and videos) when I write the blurbs that you're seeing on the news page. I'm sure some people would just kick themselves if I told them that's one of the duties I sometimes do as part of the job here.

Peesoup: That was quite fascinating to learn about the history of Sale - thanks for scratching that itch. I had the feeling it was named after someone. Where was the swing bridge located? I remember driving up there just after nightfall, approaching along the South Gippsland Hwy (B440), and noticed I was driving over some elevated bridges that seemed to have swamplands below. I also noticed a really tall transmission tower over to the east (was this part of the RAAF base, or just a TV transmitter?).

Oh, and Melinda - if you were wondering why I actually bothered driving all the way to Sale; I had been driving all day, and needed a good place to rest and refuel - plus, Sale seems like a good half-way turning point for a day trip; it's roughly about equal distance as Warrnambool is from Melbourne if you head out on the Great Ocean Road

Anyways, guys, as you may have noticed, I've been posting some raves on the news page (Centaur's taking some time off right now - he'll let you know what's happening if he decides to say so). So, what do you guys think of my raves? I'd like to get some feedback, if you don't mind - it'd be much appreciated, thanks. Do you reckon they're fun, witty, dynamic, informative, or unconventional?

Comment

close but no cigar....

Diablo, you missed the swing bridge by that much *holds thumb and first finger about a bees dick apart*.
                        The swing bridge is over the La Trobe River about 4 km south of Sale. As you were heading over the raised causeways into Sale it was just off to your right down at the river level. You can just see it from the road if you know where to look, but you would have had buckley's in the dark. And the tower you saw most likely was at the RAAF base ( which is to the east of Sale ). There are quite a few of them dotted around the base along with a really cool radar dome that looks like a giant golf ball.
                        cheers bud, Peesoup

Comment

He's sitting here, watching all the action, but unable to respond until now because he's busy with a fair number of things (some of which you may or may not be aware of already)

Meanwhile, I'd like to give some encouragement for Jesse to re-post that poem, if he doesn't mind
                          Hmm, that'd be right, just sitting back watching all the action until we all tire ourselves out and then you jump in at the last moment when we least expect it! Yeah I know you're busy Diablo, don't worry about me nagging you to post all the time, just give me a good slap across the face and a "shuddup!".... I can handle it (as long as you say it in a cool italian mobster kinda way )... Just so you know though I've appreciated all the cool posts you've done in my thread... oh and guess what? I found the mouse! He's dead, out dishwasher had to get taken away to be fixed and guess what was laying underneath it stiff as a board, yep... as well as about a thousand little tiny mouse poos, damn those things can poo! Oh and I think your posting on the news pages have been great Diablo, though your first one was the best when you pushed the wrong button and got zapped, I'm cruel like that because I enjoy other people's pain, hehe... I say keep 'em funny.... Anyway, catch ya later Diablo!

And Jesse, please repost that poem, it was a beauty!

Luv Melinda

Comment

Originally posted by Melinda View Post
                            Oh and I think your posting on the news pages have been great Diablo, though your first one was the best when you pushed the wrong button and got zapped, I'm cruel like that because I enjoy other people's pain, hehe.
                            Don't worry, Diablo ol' mate, she's just saying that. The Adorable Mistress Melinda (AMM) likes us to imagine she's a wicked and evil Uber Cruella DeVille, but really she's a total sweetie at heart. (Some of us have the scars to prove it — nah, just kiddin')

takochan

Comment

Jesse, please repost that poem, it was a beauty!
                              Yes, please do —I'm not like the all-seeing Melinda (see what I mean about what a sweetie she is) — I missed it!!!

Please, pretty please, with organic strawberries on top!!!

takochan

Comment

Oh and I think your posting on the news pages have been great Diablo, though your first one was the best when you pushed the wrong button and got zapped, I'm cruel like that because I enjoy other people's pain, hehe... I say keep 'em funny....
                                Hey, thanks - much appreciated. Creative writing was never one of my strengths at high school, but I'm amazed at the feedback I'm getting from fellow AWHQ staff and some members. I'm getting better at formulating them now. It does take a lot longer than it looks to write them up; there are many steps involved in the process. It's been a real blast thinking them up and putting them out to you guys.

What's that, Mistress Melinda? You like being sadistic? Guess those evil eyes meant business. Ooooh, now that makes me suddenly conjure up a completely different image of you in my head...

Comment

Why is this thread in Mundane Chatter anyway? All other non-model staff threads are in general??

About that newbie page you referred to on mainpage Diablo... it's sorta out of date Specifically the entire staff section. Hmm.. flash is missing there too... ah well, none of this is prolly fatal

Comment

Hey someone read my mind and changed the title of this thread... I was thinking the other day that I might ask Luxman to change it but it happened automatically... nice... and that's a good point you make frans, I think this thread should be moved to a better location too with the other staff... after all, this DIABLO we're talking about

Hey thanks for the small update on centaur too Diablo, I hope everything is ok, I really liked centaur and he kinda left without a word so it's got me a little worried... if you talk to him tell him I said hi... yeah keep up the good work Diablo, the news posts are going well... ahh what, sadistic, me? Why, I don't know what to say, thank you for such a lovely compliment Diablo, you are too kind... that word does mean stunningly beautiful, right?

Luv Melinda

Comment

The missing post restored

Poor Jesse. That was actually me. We share a machine, and I didn't realise who's account was open on the boards. As soon as I saw the name on it, I deleted it, and then got distracted before I could repost it right. So here's the missing post in full:

Aha! Melinda, distinguished honorary mayor of the boards, has opened your old haunt just in time to salute your latest accomplishment of contributing to the newspage.

There once was a lad named Diablo
                                      Who wrote raves like that cubist, the Pablo
                                      Disjointed and fractured
                                      They'd leave one enraptured
                                      Why, they made our entire wee mob glow

[Note the comment about mayor of the boards. Melinda wasn't being an egotist and appointing herself, she saw the post and the office was bestowed upon her. I think everyone here can see the logic of it. Sorry, Melinda, Diablo, and everyone, for all the confusion and commotion. Tho it has been fun ]

Comment

Hi Leprechaun, we haven't actually met, but in this case there is no introduction necessary Thanks for reposting the poem... it was only up for a few minutes yet you still can't get anything past the all-seeing, erm, me... and thanks for the honorary title of mayor too, I will wear the sash with pride!.... see ya round, umm, Leprechaun...

Luv Melinda

Comment

All those accumulated M's...

thanks for the honorary title of mayor too, I will wear the sash with pride!
                                          Mmmmm —All hail, Magisterially Magnificent Mayoral Mistress Melinda!!!

takochan

Comment

I would be proud if you wore nothing but the sash, Melinda...

Comment

I would be proud if you wore nothing but the sash, Melinda...
                                              I feel exactly the same way about you, artie...

Luv Melinda

Comment

LOL!!! You wouldn't say that if you really saw it, Melinda!

However, I look absolutely scrumptious in a toga.

Comment

LOL!!! You wouldn't say that if you really saw it, Melinda!

However, I look absolutely scrumptious in a toga.
                                                  If I saw it Artie? hehe... god you make it sound so repulsive artie .... I bet you do look scrumptious in a toga, though I still think I'll stick with the togaless artie thanks

And Diablo, I'm still liking your posts on the news page... are you sure creative writing was never one of your strengths? Kulda phooled mi!

Luv Melinda

Comment

Bless you for saying that, Melinda. Despite your new reputation as a paddlemeister, you're a sweetheart.

Comment

And Diablo, I'm still liking your posts on the news page... are you sure creative writing was never one of your strengths? Kulda phooled mi!
                                                      Thank you - but I'll believe it when everyone else says so

Comment

I for one think so too.

Comment

Today's rave was pretty good, I think:
                                                          Jaws will drop. Eyebrows will rise. Spines will straighten. That's my forecast for today when we deliver you Janel's video...
                                                          I like the rhythm of the first three sentences, especially. And I thought this bit was clever:
                                                          Okay all you AW members... please form an orderly line by the door. I'll be handing out some abbywinters Access All Areas badges for you to wear while you're in Backstage 164...
                                                          The thing I appreciate the most is that you seem to hate trying the same effect twice. Even if it's not always as good as those examples, the variety in itself adds a lot of liveliness to the main page.

Comment

Hah! Now you're just fishing. Everybody else has been saying so

Keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by MightySpork View Post
                                                              Today's rave was pretty good, I think:
                                                              Jaws will drop. Eyebrows will rise. Spines will straighten. That's my forecast for today when we deliver you Janel's video...
                                                              I like the rhythm of the first three sentences, especially. And I thought this bit was clever:
                                                              Okay all you AW members... please form an orderly line by the door. I'll be handing out some abbywinters Access All Areas badges for you to wear while you're in Backstage 164...
                                                              The thing I appreciate the most is that you seem to hate trying the same effect twice. Even if it's not always as good as those examples, the variety in itself adds a lot of liveliness to the main page.
                                                              That's an excellent stylistic analysis you've done there, MS. I think Diablo is diabolically good, meself...

takochan

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                              Working...
                                                              X