Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek Discovery

Calling all Trekkies!!!

I've been watching Discovery by myself (my bf thinks he doesn't like fantasy or sci-fi [I did get him into GoT though]) and I don't have anyone to discuss it with.

For background, I am a huge lover of TNG (Jean-Luc Picard, hands down best captain). I also watched DS9 (meh - watchable). I tried twice to get through Voyager - I was 12 or 13 when it came out, the perfect age really, but no. I just cannot with Voyager. Tried again around 6 years ago (re-watched all TNG and DS9) and still could not. My friend was all 'it gets better' and '7 of 9 though!' but I couldn't get there. Never seen OS and really just not interested. I do enjoy the reboot movies though.

Anyway, I am definitely enjoying Disovery. Before I elaborate anymore on my thoughts, I want to hear what y'all think! What do you think of it? And also, what was it about Star Trek that made you love it in the first place?

I also think Discovery is good standalone show if you're not a Trekkie.

I only caught part of the first episode of Discovery. I was a little bit annoyed that CBS decided to make the series only available on their streaming service, it is hard to tell from one episode whether a whole series will be worth investing in. Glad to hear you have been enjoying it, I will have to give the first episode a full watch.

I definitely share your love of TNG and Jean-Luc Picard, still my favorite of the Star Trek series. I think that what made this show work so well was it managed to combine elements of comedy, drama, action, and suspense all at the same time. While generally excellent as a plot driven show, it was the character driven nature of the show that made it so special. There are some real emotional moments (the Family episode where Jean-Luc returns to earth to stay with his brother is a particular favorite) and the writing kept getting better and better, particularly in the later seasons (seasons 5-7 in particular).

My favorite part of all of the show were the episodes with Q. The on screen chemistry between Jean-Luc and Q was fantastic, they were both often exasperated with each other but underneath it all they build a genuine friendship as time went along. My favorite episode of all was probably the Tapestry episode where Jean-Luc's heart is failing on the operating table and he finds himself with Q waiting for him in the afterlife.

Not to get off topic, but have you read the Expanse series? I read this series earlier this year, one of the best science fiction series I have read. Similar to TNG its great as both a plot driven and character driven series. The series is full of strong female characters (particularly after the first book) which was a bit of a rarity in science fiction until recent years. I haven't watched any of the TV series, but the books are excellent if you haven't read them.
    Last edited by trebor; 14 October 2017, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I like Discovery well enough. I could go my entire life without hearing any more Klingon, so I just mute that noise. I like a dose of humanity with my sci-fi, so the "Cadet Sylvia Tilly" character works for me, even if she's mostly there for comic relief. I was bummed that Michelle Yeoh only had a cameo. The plot lines are complex, the ideas are fresh, and the acting is solid. I'd say it's a good diversion.

I'm not sure what first appealed to me about the Star Trek series, although I'm pretty sure that some of my first sexual feelings were for "Nona" in "A Private Little War". Here's a clip that makes my point nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
        I only caught part of the first episode of Discovery. I was a little bit annoyed that CBS decided to make the series only available on their streaming service, it is hard to tell from one episode whether a whole series will be worth investing in. Glad to hear you have been enjoying it, I will have to give the first episode a full watch.

I definitely share your love of TNG and Jean-Luc Picard, still my favorite of the Star Trek series. I think that what made this show work so well was it managed to combine elements of comedy, drama, action, and suspense all at the same time. While generally excellent as a plot driven show, it was the character driven nature of the show that made it so special. There are some real emotional moments (the Family episode where Jean-Luc returns to earth to stay with his brother is a particular favorite) and the writing kept getting better and better, particularly in the later seasons (seasons 5-7 in particular).

My favorite part of all of the show were the episodes with Q. The on screen chemistry between Jean-Luc and Q was fantastic, they were both often exasperated with each other but underneath it all they build a genuine friendship as time went along. My favorite episode of all was probably the Tapestry episode where Jean-Luc's heart is failing on the operating table and he finds himself with Q waiting for him in the afterlife.

Not to get off topic, but have you read the Expanse series? I read this series earlier this year, one of the best science fiction series I have read. Similar to TNG its great as both a plot driven and character driven series. The series is full of strong female characters (particularly after the first book) which was a bit of a rarity in science fiction until recent years. I haven't watched any of the TV series, but the books are excellent if you haven't read them.
        Love the episodes with Q too!

Well, I will wait before I say anymore about the show until you have watched more so don't read my next reply!

As for expanse, I will have to check that out! I have barely been reading lately. The last book I read was 1Q84.

Originally posted by AarontheMoor View Post
        I like Discovery well enough. I could go my entire life without hearing any more Klingon, so I just mute that noise. I like a dose of humanity with my sci-fi, so the "Cadet Sylvia Tilly" character works for me, even if she's mostly there for comic relief. I was bummed that Michelle Yeoh only had a cameo. The plot lines are complex, the ideas are fresh, and the acting is solid. I'd say it's a good diversion.

I'm not sure what first appealed to me about the Star Trek series, although I'm pretty sure that some of my first sexual feelings were for "Nona" in "A Private Little War". Here's a clip that makes my point nicely.
        Spoiler alert! Read at your own risk!

The Klingon is annoying. For me its that I'm knitting while I watch, and then suddenly I have to pay way closer attention and read the subtitles.

I heard there's gonna be more of Michelle Yeoh. I agree, I like her character. I felt like she had the sophistication/grace/wisdom that is one of the things I really loved from TNG.

Apparently one of Gene Roddenberry's rules was that there should be no major conflict within the main cast/crew which is being broken in this series. I find it really unnerving for the captain to be so shady. Also, that blonde dude working on the spores is so irritating. And that chick who died. There's just so many asshole characters. Too many. I like the show, but I miss loving the characters. I like that they are exploring unknown aliens/science/technology and its not entirely focused on war/relations with the Klingons. Interstellar politics was always lower on my interest list.

OMG that clip. Definitely further confirmation that I don't need to see the original series.

Comment

I am a HUGE Janeway fan - Jean Luc is great but she has real balls and because of their situation, she can break with federation rules more often but in believable situations. I agree the first few episodes take some getting into but the Doctor is amazing and yes Seven of Nine is sexy as hell!

Discovery looks like it has promise but it seems to have forgotten that the whole purpose of the federation is peace. That's one of the things I like best about Star Trek, it is the hope that a feature of shared collaboration and understanding for others cultures and beliefs is out there in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by masie View Post
            Discovery looks like it has promise but it seems to have forgotten that the whole purpose of the federation is peace. That's one of the things I like best about Star Trek, it is the hope that a feature of shared collaboration and understanding for others cultures and beliefs is out there in the future.
            Well said, this vision of the future is something I love about Star Trek too. I think Gene Roddenberry was probably heavily influenced by his experiences in World War II and with the Cold War, Star Trek represented a vision of the future that free from of all of the conflicts of this period in history.
            Last edited by trebor; 18 October 2017, 06:13 AM.

Comment

After watching the first five episodes, I have to say that in general I like the reboot of the Trek universe. The first two episodes were a good introduction to Burnham and got the main conflict with the Klingons going. Like everyone else, I can do without the Klingon language and subs - just let them say the first few lines in Klingon and then revert to English.
              I did find that the fifth episode does kind of follow the past Trek pattern. It was kind of a given that Burnham would free the creature and that the captain would heroically escape. A Starfleet prisoner in an alien prison cell is something that happens a lot in every other Trek series, so it wasn't hard to see where that was going.
              It's nice to have a Captain who isn't a nice guy. But every scene with Lorca reminds me of Admiral Cain in the 2005 Battlestar Galactica; willing to do anything in the name of winning the war. There is even a line dropped by the Admiral to the effect that under Starfleet regulations he can conscript anyone to further the war effort. It should keep things interesting.
              It's interesting when you read some of the histories of the Star Trek franchise how much the Roddenberry edict about conflict made things very difficult for the show runners and writing staffs. It wasn't until after Roddenberry died that any of the series became good (IMO). The Fifty Year Mission and Robert Justman's Inside Star Trek cover some interesting ground on the people and production of the various series.

Comment

Originally posted by masie View Post
                Well said, this vision of the future is something I love about Star Trek too. I think Gene Roddenberry was probably heavily influenced by his experiences in World War II and with the Cold War, Star Trek represented a vision of the future that free from of all of the conflicts of this period in history.
                I also agree. I liked Star Trek as a vision of what humans should be, both on a species-wide level, but on an individual character level as well. The concept behind this series, apparently, was showing the struggle that proceeded this. It ultimately is supposed to still show this vision of hope. We will see!

Originally posted by ruben72 View Post
                After watching the first five episodes, I have to say that in general I like the reboot of the Trek universe. The first two episodes were a good introduction to Burnham and got the main conflict with the Klingons going. Like everyone else, I can do without the Klingon language and subs - just let them say the first few lines in Klingon and then revert to English.
                I did find that the fifth episode does kind of follow the past Trek pattern. It was kind of a given that Burnham would free the creature and that the captain would heroically escape. A Starfleet prisoner in an alien prison cell is something that happens a lot in every other Trek series, so it wasn't hard to see where that was going.
                It's nice to have a Captain who isn't a nice guy. But every scene with Lorca reminds me of Admiral Cain in the 2005 Battlestar Galactica; willing to do anything in the name of winning the war. There is even a line dropped by the Admiral to the effect that under Starfleet regulations he can conscript anyone to further the war effort. It should keep things interesting.
                It's interesting when you read some of the histories of the Star Trek franchise how much the Roddenberry edict about conflict made things very difficult for the show runners and writing staffs. It wasn't until after Roddenberry died that any of the series became good (IMO). The Fifty Year Mission and Robert Justman's Inside Star Trek cover some interesting ground on the people and production of the various series.
                Yeah I liked the last episode. Finally not totally hating Stamets.

I am ashamed to say I can't remember Admiral Cain at all, even after googling, and I watched Battlestar Galactica! Tbh, I just watched that show for Gaius Baltar.

I can't stop associating Lorca with the character that actor played in The OA. (A highly unscrupulous dude, single-mindedly driven.)

And the last scene! OMG so creepy!

Comment

Another favorite part on the Next Generation series for me was some of the overly melodramatic writing and less than stellar special effects from the first two seasons. My favorite scene of all was in the Where No One Has Gone Before episode where members of the crew's thoughts start becoming reality after the Traveler flings the ship into a far flung corner of the universe (unfortunately I couldn't find video clip of the scene). Picard comes across a crewman who is imagining he has being trapped by a fire. Picard grabs the crewman and shakes him, then gives him a quick inspiring pep talk imploring him to pull himself together. Now duly inspired the crewman extinguishes the fire and gives Picard a ridiculously over the top "Yes Sir!!!" and salute. It's a hilarious scene if you have a chance to watch this episode again, always leaves me laughing.

Comment

I've tried Discovery, and I really want to like it because I love the various Trek series, but there's something not quite...Star Trek about it for me. I think it's the glossy finish on everything and the JJ Abrams-patented lens flares, because the storyline overall is a good one, and I love the choice of lead. I'll keep giving it a go, and no doubt will end up loving it for what it is but at the moment it's just missing that tiny little spark of something to set it off.

Now TNG - THAT was a show I could get fully behind, though the technobabble did get annoying after a while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd5yB9Vmd6I

A very funny take on TNG trek with some Star Wars thrown in

Comment

Another favorite part on the Next Generation series for me was some of the overly melodramatic writing and less than stellar special effects from the first two seasons. My favorite scene of all was in the Where No One Has Gone Before episode where members of the crew's thoughts start becoming reality after the Traveler flings the ship into a far flung corner of the universe (unfortunately I couldn't find video clip of the scene). Picard comes across a crewman who is imagining he has being trapped by a fire. Picard grabs the crewman and shakes him, then gives him a quick inspiring pep talk imploring him to pull himself together. Now duly inspired the crewman extinguishes the fire and gives Picard a ridiculously over the top "Yes Sir!!!" and salute. It's a hilarious scene if you have a chance to watch this episode again, always leaves me laughing.
                      I do remember that one!

Originally posted by Stevetod View Post
                      I've tried Discovery, and I really want to like it because I love the various Trek series, but there's something not quite...Star Trek about it for me. I think it's the glossy finish on everything and the JJ Abrams-patented lens flares, because the storyline overall is a good one, and I love the choice of lead. I'll keep giving it a go, and no doubt will end up loving it for what it is but at the moment it's just missing that tiny little spark of something to set it off.

Now TNG - THAT was a show I could get fully behind, though the technobabble did get annoying after a while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd5yB9Vmd6I

A very funny take on TNG trek with some Star Wars thrown in
                      OMG that video seriously cracked me up. I love how Riker is in the background doing the ridiculous leg up thing. Also the poetry reading thing for Data, haha.

Spoilers below!

I liked that they did a time loop in this week's episode (very TNG: Cause and Effect). I do feel like TNG has a slower space which I like (if you compare the episodes). I was going to say, if the party scene in Discovery had been on Picard's enterprise, it would have been a violin recital by Data. So classy. Also, you know that if Picard had escaped that Klingon prison vessel, he would have saved Mudd, and put him in the brig and none of that would have happened. Just sayin'

Also, I was reading this:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/last-night-w...ode-1819960390

And it says Ash Tyler is a spy?!? Is that speculation or did I miss something? Anyone?

Comment

So the latest episode of Discovery was pretty good and pretty entertaining. Nice play on Cause and Effect and all around pretty fun.
                        The Ash Taylor speculation comes from a pretty interesting fan theory that is floating around the internet: that Ash is actually a surgically altered Voq (the albino Klingon who left with his female Klingon first officer). The captain of the prison ship that they escaped from was played by the same actress. The actor who played Voq in those episodes only has one acting credit. And that Ash was a lover of that Klingon captain. Not sure if this theory is valid or not, but is fun to speculate about.
                        Looking forward to the next episode.

Comment

Yeah looks like the theory is definitely coming true!

I'm looking forward to the continuation of the series after the holidays. Looks like they might be in some kind of dark matter dimension or something!

Comment

Re-watching the episodes with my mom and sis:

How did I not see that Captain Lorca is Lucius Malfoy?!?

How is it that two TV shows (South Park) both featured references to tardigrades within a month of each other? Are tardigrades trending or something?

Comment

So after the hiatus, things got very interesting. The fan theory regarding Ash being a Klingon was pretty much right. And it also kind of ties in with the original series Trouble with Tribbles where there were Klingons who appeared to be human (and could only be detected by the tribbles). Sadly no tribbles being Klingon detectors. And then things were really blown up. We got the mirror universe for a bunch of episodes. I was kind of hoping that Hoshi from Enterprise was going to be revealed as the Emperor. But we got Michelle Yeoh back on the show. Which worked pretty well. And the big reveal that Lorca was from the mirror universe was also pretty cool. I just finished watching episode 13 and they did their best to tie things up for the return to Trek universe. I think it worked out okay - there was a bit of hand waving, but not enough to bother me.
                              Looking forward to the resolution of the Klingon war in the last few episodes.

Comment

Wooo I'm not the only one still watching, haha.

I don't really get the deal with Ash being Klingon. I mean, they go to all this work to make him a sleeper spy, and he literally accomplishes nothing for the Klingons. I mean, right? Am I missing something? It was a totally useless plot twist (that everyone but me saw coming apparently).

So glad I didn't read any theories on Lorca being from the mirror universe because that totally surprised me! I appreciated that twist, and it made sense to me.

I'm really upset they killed Hugh (the doctor). The characters on the show are hit and miss with me, and he was one I really liked. I was holding out hope that the misplace in time when they returned to their universe would be in Hugh's favor and he would end up back alive, but nope. Not cool.

On a sort of related note, anybody seen the Orville? The critical consensus is that it's terrible. Just curious if anyone has seen it!

Comment

Originally posted by renae_d View Post

On a sort of related note, anybody seen the Orville? The critical consensus is that it's terrible. Just curious if anyone has seen it!
                                  I watched nearly all of the aired episodes. Some episodes were more fun and entertaining (with some surprising guest stars), others less. But overall there are too many series each week plus a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG list of movies and TV to catch up, that I crossed The Orville off.

And since it is on FOX...from the four historic broadcast networks only kept Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Star Trek Discovery, especially after the Vegetation Signaling Plant episode lost my interest, but from the sounds of you and some friends it may have gotten more engaging.

Comment

Now that the season is over, here are a few thoughts. The last two episodes with Mirror Georgiou were kind of a mixed bag. These last two episodes are very much a mirror to the first two episodes. Mirror Georgiou got to chew the scenery and was reckless. She was going to end the war in almost the same way that Burnham started it. And Burnham gets to have her redemption and be a mirror to her reckless actions that began the Klingon war by being the Federation rationalist. All tied up very neatly by the writers. With some odd loose ends - like leaving Mirror Georgiou and Ash/Voq at large (I guess it leaves them available for next season).
                                    I did like the first season a lot. Definitely worth the investment of time. Looking forward to seeing what the writers do with the introduction of the Enterprise (with Captain Pike at the helm). Will we get to see Burnham's foster brother Spock? Should be fun.

Comment

OMG I just realized from your post that I somehow thought the season had finished, but there were still more episodes! I don't know how I got that in my head! Well I guess I have more episodes to watch I will report back in a week or two!

Comment

Discovery is back. Four episodes and four Short Trek promos in, just wondering what other people are thinking of the show now.
                                        The Short Trek promos were a pretty good way to keep interest up in the show. The first two were definitely budget savers (both bottle episodes) but still enjoyable. And the last two were bigger: one a heavy episode setting up some plot in Season 2 and the other a fun way to keep Rainn Wilson a part of the show.
                                        The first four episodes of Discovery proper (so to speak) have a strong "Old Trek" feeling about them. The episode plots feel very throw back (at least to me) in structure and plot style. And we have a search for Spock plot line which should get a cliff hanger ending when ratings season hits hard. But still, some good Trek.
                                        Interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

Comment

Oh I missed the promos! I was thinking - hmm did I forget how the last season ended? Am I missing something? Seemed to have jumped. I need to figure out how to watch those.

I actually don't know much about 'old trek' other than that early TNG had more of an 'old trek' vibe as well. Just glad to have a captain and cast that aren't a bunch of jerks finally. Hoping we see lots more of Hugh because he was a character I really liked.

Also, I got my boyfriend to watch a 'best of TNG' curated by me, probably about 50% of the episodes. Never something I thought he would agree to! Still love it. CANNOT WAIT for more Picard in my life.

Comment

Hey there, cuties!
                                            I'm starting to watch Star Trek Discovery myself. Gotta say I didn't watch all the Star Trek series, shame on me. I used to watch the original series when I was a little girl. Loved Uhura, her smile and I found her figure beautiful (and I didn't know back then I love women). However, my memories on the old Star Trek faded away. I loved the space, spaceships, the people, how the spoke, and, of course, Uhura.

Also watched First Contact a couple of years ago and now I've started Star Trek Discovery and I'm enjoying it so far. I love the diverse people on Star Trek, its ricj universe and the idea about the future, much more hopeful than those dark dystopian movies out there.

Long live and live prosper,
                                            Irene A

Comment

Originally posted by renae_d View Post
                                              Also, I got my boyfriend to watch a 'best of TNG' curated by me, probably about 50% of the episodes. Never something I thought he would agree to! Still love it. CANNOT WAIT for more Picard in my life.
                                              This is awesome on so many levels! Stereotypically it would have been the men having to convince their girlfriends to watch, I love that there are so many more women interested in Star Trek and science fiction in general these days.

It would be hard to come up with the ultimate curated list of episodes, there are so many good ones. Here's my best crack at my five favorite episodes (Jean Luc is the featured character in four of them and plays a prominent role in the fifth):

1. "The Inner Light": This episode is very moving watching Picard live out an entire life on a long ago destroyed planet. I particularly loved the music that was built into the story, the last scene where we see Picard playing the folk melody on the flute back on the Enterprise is one of my favorite in the whole series.

2. "Tapestry": The Q episodes are my favorites in the series (see my post above), and this is my favorite of the Q episodes. This episode has a little bit of everything: humor, romance, drama, and more. Picard ultimately learns an important lesson about the qualities that make him who he is and discovers he has a lot more in common with Q than he would like to admit.

3. "Family": See my comment above. The scene where Jean Luc and his brother get into the brawl and Jean Luc finally lets go of all of the emotions he had been holding in about the Borg encounter is one of my favorites in the whole series.

4. "Chain of Command": The interrogation scenes are some of Patrick Stuarts best work in the series. Powerful episode that is unfortunately still relevant as there are still too many places this scenario could play out in the real world.

5. "Preemtive Strike": Episode where Ensign Ro is sent by Picard to infiltrate a Maquis cell. Similar to Chain of Command this scenario is relevant out in the real world. I was moved by the connection Ro makes with the cell leader and how he reminds her of her father she lost during the occupation. You definitely need to suspend your disbelief a few times in this episode, there are a few scenes where it seems a little too obvious Ro is working for Star Fleet. Particularly the scene where Riker shows up at the end in a rather thin disguise, how would the Maquis not know who Riker was? Worst disguise since Lando Calrissian's in Jabba's Palace!

Do you have any particular favorite episodes?

Comment

One episode to go.
                                                It's been a really interesting season. Anson Mount has been a great Captain Pike. And the integration of this series into the overarching Trek continuity has been handled really well. Down to the Talosians from the original pilot. And two of the four Short Trek episodes have been utilized; and I assume that the third one featuring the Discovery's now sentient operating system will be brought into play for the finale. Time travel and all that. To quote another Sci-Fi series: Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey. I really hope that they bring the season home with a great finale. We do know that Captain Pike will survive only to be horribly injured.
                                                Anyone else have any thoughts?

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                Working...
                                                X